[APP][01.10.2008] Vibration Feedback

Search This thread

Kisja

Aug 22, 2005
[SIZE=+1][highlight]Vibration Feedback for Windows Mobile 5+ (DISCONTINUED)[/highlight][/SIZE]

Original Thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=412491

Different approach by writing an own touch.dll: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=450256

This Software lets the phone vibrate when the touchscreen is touched. This feature is knwon from the Samsung Omnia Phone for example. It gives a better response and feeling for a finger tip on the screen.

It consists of two parts. The first one is VOA aka vibrate.exe (which is already mentioned in different threads) by Const and a configuration part VOAConfig by Kisja.

[SIZE="+1"][highlight]Help needed![/highlight][/SIZE]
VOA is not developed anymore and the sources are not availible. To optimize the reaction and some other things (see TODO later) we need to rewrite VOA. Since I have not enough time for it, we need someone who has experience in development. I could help with some ideas, since I know how VOA works. Send mit a PN or simply reply on this thread!

Current version with VOA 01.10.2008 and VOAConfig v1.5: Vibration_Feedback_1.5_01.10.2008_volume fix.cab

[SIZE=+1][highlight]VOA by Const[/highlight][/SIZE]
It's a little application which runs in background and reacts on user activities with vibration.

[highlight]Features:[/highlight]
- Vibrate always on touch events (mouse down, or mouse up)
- Vibrate only if SIP is active
- Vibrate on Key press (hardware keys)
- Adjustable vibration (duration in ms)
- configuration over command line parameters
- fully event based, so only battery consumption while vibrating
- No runtimes needed (pure C++ application)
- Works with WM 5+ (not 2003)

[highlight]Command Line Parameters:[/highlight]
-nled: Which nled to use (1 on Diamond)
-len: vibration duration in milliseconds
-ondown: 0 - on mouse up, 1 - on mouse down
-onsip: 0 - handle every touch event, 1 - vibrate only if SIP (or phone) is active
-keyon: 1 - Vibrate on Key press (is not affected by onsip!)

[highlight]Changes:[/highlight]
Code:
[URL="http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=117756"]01.10.2008[/URL]
- Fix for volume buttons (HTC Diamond), the keyboard part of
  the code is completely disabled if onkey 0 is set

[URL="http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=117757"]10.09.2008[/URL]
- improved vibration length/strength
- With short values (10-30) is the vibration like in Teeter
- Phone Dialpad support if onsip 1 is set

[URL="http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=117758"]08.09.2008[/URL]
- support for HTC Diamond

[highlight]Known Issues/TODO:[/highlight]
- lags while fast typing (vibration doesn't stop or no input possible while vibrating, seems to be ROM or Phone dependent)
- Volume keys are blocked on HTC Diamond if onkey is set to 1. Don't use key vibration or enable the default windows volume bubble to have workung response and volume keys (Use Diamond Tweak for example).
- vibrates during an active call, if dialpad vibration is enabled

[highlight]Download:[/highlight]
VOA*.zip contains VOA.EXE and an exaple VOA.LNK file for launching VOA with desired parameters

With volume buttons fix: VOA_01.10.2008_volume_fix.zip
With Dialpad support: VOA_10.09.2008_Dialpad.zip
Without Dialpad support: VOA_10.09.2008.zip

[SIZE=+1][highlight]VOAConfig by Kisja[/highlight][/SIZE]

This application makes the configuration of VOA more simple.

[highlight]Features:[/highlight]
- Choose activity mode (always/SIP only) (-onsip 0/1)
- Enable Vibration on Keys (-onkey 0/1)
- Enable VOA on startup (autostart)
- Choose vibration duration/strength (-len x)
- Start/Stop VOA
- Saves settings in registry
- Source code open (VisualBasic .NET/VS 2008 Solution)
- .NET 2.0/3.5 Runtime needed

[highlight]Manual:[/highlight]

1) Adjust settings as desired
2) Tap on "Save" to save settings to registry and create new startup link
3) Tap on "Start/Stop" twice to restart VOA or reset device

[highlight]Known Issues/TODO:[/highlight]
- Restart VOA automatically after saving configuration

[highlight]Changes:[/highlight]
Code:
16.09.2008 v.1.5
- vibration strength costumization optimized.
  Select between "low", "middle", "high" and adjust more prcise with the slider
- "Advanced Options" in "Options" menu:
       - select NLED Interface (-nled option in VOA)
       - select Event to react on (-ondown option in VOA)
- VOA is started using CreateProcess Call from coredll.dll (see "help needed" please!)

10.09.2008 v.1.4
- Startup folder not hardcoded anymore,
  instead a localized path is used (Environment.GetFolderPath)

[highlight]Download:[/highlight]
The CAB file includes both applications in a single install file.
The version number reflects the version of VOAConfig and the Date stands for the release Date of VOA.

V 1.5 with current VOA in a cab: Vibration_Feedback_1.5_01.10.2008_volume fix.cab
Source (VS 2008 VB .NET Solution): VOAConfig_1.5_Source.zip

[SIZE=+1][highlight]What it does not do[/highlight][/SIZE]
and what will possibly never be implemented:
- hook in other applications. VOA uses a systemwide activity timer to recognize events and does not communicate directly with other applications. This causes sometimes a little lag between the touch event and the vibration. Hooking into other applications would speed it up, but most applications do not have public events to react on.
- reduce touch screen area (for which vibration is activated) to windows borders or something else (think of SIP). VOA reacts on touch events on the whole touch screen.

Attachments

• VOA_01.10.2008_volume_fix.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 671
  • VOA_10.09.2008_Dialpad.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 734
  • VOA_10.09.2008.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 446
  • VOAConfig_1.5_Source.zip
    18.6 KB · Views: 611
Last edited:

SXT82

Jan 5, 2006
thank you very much.. this is a really great application!

is it possible to make a "dailpad vibration only" option?

jpresencia

May 28, 2006
thanks for the program!!!! it works great....
unfortunately i found 2 probles that are not important for me but maybe other people finds annoying:
1.- volume up/down key does not work when VOA.exe is active.When you press vol up or vol down the volume level bar appears, but you cant change volume with keys.

2.-voaconfig crashes when i try to "enable startup". i think this is caused because of folder names (i'm using a spanish rom, so my startup folder is "windows/inicio" and not "windows/startup").

thanks again for your work

Kisja

Aug 22, 2005
[...]
2.-voaconfig crashes when i try to "enable startup". i think this is caused because of folder names (i'm using a spanish rom, so my startup folder is "windows/inicio" and not "windows/startup").
Oh jes, I forgot! Sure its always different. Does anyone know how to detect this automatically? A Reg Value with the path perhaps?

helpme

Feb 2, 2006
thanks for the program!!!! it works great....
unfortunately i found 2 probles that are not important for me but maybe other people finds annoying:
1.- volume up/down key does not work when VOA.exe is active.When you press vol up or vol down the volume level bar appears, but you cant change volume with keys.

thanks again for your work

Got the same problems as you , for number 2, I am using English stock rom which used the path "windows/startup", yet voaconfig crashed when i start it.

Even if duration is set to 1ms the length of the vibratation is far to long to be useful on my Polaris (HTC Touch Cruise). I've previously tried google Android which has the same functionality built-in. And it gives a small buzz on each key-press which was very good.

This application vibrates too long, and also it does not accept more keypresses when vibrating slowing down the whole input method.

*const

Sep 10, 2008
add vibration when PhonePad on foreground and onsip=1

Attachments

• VOA2003.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 167

Tenchi4U

Aug 21, 2008
San Antonio
cool concept, I actually like it on my friend's Instinct.....but the battery thing and the accelerated wear on the vibration motor deters me (my titan battery is bad enough as it is already).

crash98

Mar 5, 2007
Good Work, but seems that doesn't recognize diamond keyboard installed on my wm 6.1 artemis. If i set to vibrate only on SIP it never do, otherwise works great (at any click).

thank You
Bye

ErGo_404

Oct 14, 2007
Paris
The main difference with the samsung version is that on the I900 the phone vibrates only when you press a button on your screen (or at least it is supposed to act like this), which really makes a difference between pressing "nothing" and pressing a button.
I would I love to see this feature, even on my I900, because samsung forgot many things (like the opera browser, in which the phone vibrates whatever the part of the application you're touching, or their SIP, where it does not vibrate even though it is THE software where it should).

what do you mean by "slow sms typing"? be more specific please

For every key I press on the keyboard the vibrator starts for a short period. During this period I cannot enter another key. Or atleast the key is not displayed until the vibration has stopped. So where I could write very fluid and quick before, I now feel it's going much slower and more like a stutter, if you know what I mean.