X1ButtonMapper - Extends the keyboard and other buttons

Search This thread

Angelusz

Nov 16, 2008
Nijmegen
At least someone having the guts to try my software - thank you for the positive feedback!

Regarding the Win-key, I wouldn't remap it because:

1. I'm using it often
2. The win key is often sent in combination with other keys and it will cause some side effects to remap it - that's why I gave up on this idea

When there's more feedback and some problems discovered that are necessary to change, I will have another look into this FN+Tab issue.

By the way, having Tab remapped to Ctrl also has a good benefit - accidental clicks on tab don't happen anymore.

I'm planning on testing this tomorrow.

What can exactly go wrong if you use the windows button? I understand more functions are tied to it, but as a test I remapped it with AE button + and that worked just fine. The windows key now locks my phone. (had to use something to test eh :p) and does so every time I press it. Awesome thing is, shift + windows key opens the start menu like it normally does! Don't you think your script could do exactly the same, but then normally map it to ctrl and shift + windows be normal windows? I'd rather use that one as I use tab more often than the windows key.

Also, I understand that your prog can do all that AE button can do; so it can map to functions like tilt the screen. But as there's no UI, how am I supposed to figure out what commands do what? I haven't yet worked with mortscript and my understanding of programming languages is shallow yet sufficient to easily learn how to use it, but I wouldn't know where to begin. For exactly this reason I think the best way to develop this application is two ways combined; a UI with some basic, often-used options as well as an option within that UI to create custom scripted binds, using mortscript. That way you get best of both worlds and every user will be able to use your wonderful code.

The bottomline; I'll tinker with it a bit and you should take JKingDev's offer.

Dandie

Apr 14, 2005
Again: Actually, Fn+Tab = Tab should work and just pretend it will work in the future, so that shouldn't be a problem anymore. I wouldn't have thought that people would cling on their tab key so much - my fault.

Regarding the win key, it may cause trouble when sending it by another key - I use long softkey press for that. You get Fn+yxcvasdf to do whatever you want - still not enough?

About the scripting and screen rotation: Get a small program which does rotate the screen and assign it to any button by setting up a script with Run("Programpath"). Everybody can do this without any programming skills h no nee for a UI.

Once and for all: I won't make a UI for this software, because it doesn't add any functionality at all. If someone likes to do it I can provide the sourcecode of this application.

I would suggest, rather than talking about a program you haven't used yet, to simply test it and give me feedback about what you like and what you don't.

Dandie

Apr 14, 2005
Hmmmm MortScript messed up my OK button.

What exactly do you mean? I personally use PocketPlus shortcuts for close and minimize (long press) and it works with no problem at all.

I think MortScript allows to use SendOk() for that. I would recommend to use your own task manager for that though, assuming it allows assignment to buttons.

Angelusz

Nov 16, 2008
Nijmegen
Again: Actually, Fn+Tab = Tab should work and just pretend it will work in the future, so that shouldn't be a problem anymore. I wouldn't have thought that people would cling on their tab key so much - my fault.

Regarding the win key, it may cause trouble when sending it by another key - I use long softkey press for that. You get Fn+yxcvasdf to do whatever you want - still not enough?

About the scripting and screen rotation: Get a small program which does rotate the screen and assign it to any button by setting up a script with Run("Programpath"). Everybody can do this without any programming skills h no nee for a UI.

Once and for all: I won't make a UI for this software, because it doesn't add any functionality at all. If someone likes to do it I can provide the sourcecode of this application.

I would suggest, rather than talking about a program you haven't used yet, to simply test it and give me feedback about what you like and what you don't.
Throughout your post I'm getting the feeling you're annoyed. I asked some questions, with - from my perspective - valid reasons. I don't really understand what I'm doing wrong here.

Alright, I get it. No win-key, we'll have to work with tab. I do think it's a bit messy having to install an extra application to rotate the screen, as you might be able to imagine it's easier if there's a built-in function. Is there any possibility that you can add that to your program? I don't know what it takes to rotate the screen, but I can't imagine it's much.

On the UI part, I never said you should be making a UI. JKingDev offered you to make a UI in one of his first posts. Like I said, if you'd take his offer, having him create a UI that also allows custom scripting, it'd be bliss.

I understand that you would like some proper feedback instead of requests and I'm looking for mortscript right now to test it. I only posted to show some interest and was a bit disappointed by the tone of your reply.

Loco5150

Jun 8, 2008
What exactly do you mean? I personally use PocketPlus shortcuts for close and minimize (long press) and it works with no problem at all.

I think MortScript allows to use SendOk() for that. I would recommend to use your own task manager for that though, assuming it allows assignment to buttons.

No I just meant that after installing MortScript and your files the OK button does not minimize programs anymore. Complains about X1ButtonMapperScripts\OK_Short.... Not found.

Dandie

Apr 14, 2005
No I just meant that after installing MortScript and your files the OK button does not minimize programs anymore. Complains about X1ButtonMapperScripts\OK_Short.... Not found.

Mh, does the file exist? If not, add it and write the script with the action you want to perform. I call the close function of SPB PocketPlus Task manager.

anaadoul

Dec 8, 2008
Riyadh

good idea to publish the source code on http://www.codeplex.com
i can help out with that. BUT, is it written using C#, VB or C++?
we can collaborate and do something even better ;)

great app, i really need the mapping functionality :D:D

Dandie

Apr 14, 2005
@Angelusz

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude at all. Maybe it's just because I'm german - we like to put things straight. Don't take it personal, ok?

Dandie

Apr 14, 2005
good idea to publish the source code on http://www.codeplex.com
i can help out with that. BUT, is it written using C#, VB or C++?
we can collaborate and do something even better ;)

great app, i really need the mapping functionality :D:D
I can mail the code to anyone who is interested. The program is basically plain C. No .net at all. I think that .net is far too much overhead for the scarce resources on a Smartphone. It is certainly possible to PInvoke into the specific Dll functions when you know how to do that.

JKingDev

Nov 3, 2006
I can mail the code to anyone who is interested. The program is basically plain C. No .net at all. I think that .net is far too much overhead for the scarce resources on a Smartphone. It is certainly possible to PInvoke into the specific Dll functions when you know how to do that.

I would love to get a copy of the source code. My main goals would be to not grab the tab key, to grab the short press of softkeys, and to try to grab the panel key. I will PM you my email address. And dont worry, I will not distribute my changes in source or binary form. I can send my mods to you to use as you see fit. Thanks!

I'm planning on testing this tomorrow.

What can exactly go wrong if you use the windows button? I understand more functions are tied to it, but as a test I remapped it with AE button + and that worked just fine. The windows key now locks my phone. (had to use something to test eh :p) and does so every time I press it. Awesome thing is, shift + windows key opens the start menu like it normally does! Don't you think your script could do exactly the same, but then normally map it to ctrl and shift + windows be normal windows? I'd rather use that one as I use tab more often than the windows key.

Also, I understand that your prog can do all that AE button can do; so it can map to functions like tilt the screen. But as there's no UI, how am I supposed to figure out what commands do what? I haven't yet worked with mortscript and my understanding of programming languages is shallow yet sufficient to easily learn how to use it, but I wouldn't know where to begin. For exactly this reason I think the best way to develop this application is two ways combined; a UI with some basic, often-used options as well as an option within that UI to create custom scripted binds, using mortscript. That way you get best of both worlds and every user will be able to use your wonderful code.

The bottomline; I'll tinker with it a bit and you should take JKingDev's offer.
I think Dandie has a point as far as the UI goes. It would not really add much functionality. Mortscript is very powerful and easy to use. Give it a try. Also, even if one wanted to add options, you could just manually edit registry values or config files rather than writing a GUI to do it.

Dec 30, 2008
First of all... thanks for software! :)
A little observation... I can start the program (X1ButtonMapper.exe) but... I can't leave from it! :) I not see it in task manager...
Do I must force reboot?

[edit]
another note: somewhere or in someway, there should be the possibility to send the original command to windows, e.g., if I don't want to override "OK" button, just not put the relative script (not display "... not found" message but leave the original "OK" function")

[edit]
m... i think in Ok_long.mscr a "SendOK()" is better than "Minimize(ActiveWindow())"...

[edit]
m... maybe not ok "SendOK()"...
take this test:
in "Fn+A" put a test message "Message("Fn")" and execute it. If execute "SendOK()" command it close the window correctly;
Now execute for example the comm manager. If you note, in upper right appear an "X" and not a "ok"... so in this case the "SendOK()" is no good, they have no response.
In these two cases the right thing is to leave original "OK" button command...

[edit]
I am trying to restore "Tab" functionality... maybe missing something... what i am missing? what I should do to have this function? Fn+Tab and Shift+Tab dont send "Tab" command...
If I try to put in a script a "SendTab()", nothing happens... maybe it really send a "Ctrl"?

[edit]
ok I did it, Tab can be raised with a "SendKeys("^TAB^")" command :)
... nvm, it works only in text fields... :(

[edit]
... ending testing for now...
for now I think that it's good
- to implement a way to non-override some keys (like "OK", i want its original function)
- restore the "Tab" command in some way (I want Ctrl key too, it is too usefull! Why HTC don't put it? >_<)
- customize in some way different free Fn+[letter] keys... in my italian keyboard free letters (without Fn combination) are: ASDFG ZXCV
- someway to exit (e.g. a link with a command parameter)

See you next time

Last edited:

Dandie

Apr 14, 2005
@JKingDev
Please give me some days to make some minor changes on the code and to do at least a little cleanup. The code is a mess right now and comments are missing since I was doing this in a hurry quick and dirty ...

I will send it to you soon, promised!

@PerezDeQueya80
Thank you for trying out the program and giving me your detailed feedback!

1. The program isn't showing as a task because its window is hidden. Usually it should be running all the time and be started by Autostart, so no need to close it. You can kill it with some task manger though (e.g. the good one of FdcSoft).

2. I will try to add the possibility to leave the OK as it is when no corresponding script exists in the next version, ok?

The script with minimize is just an example and I would recommend to all of you to use your installed TaskManager for managing the close and minimize feature for the OK button. For SPBPocketPlus, I use the additionally installed program links which do this and I can use them without any issues. A TaskManager is a complex software and I wouldn't bypass it by the scripts. Since there are so many task managers out there, you have to figure out how to remote control yours.

3. I will also try to make this Fn+Tab = Tab feature work in the next version, but I will need some days because I don't have time for this now - please be patient, ok?

I think that I won't implement the remaining requests, localized Fn+Key mappings and the exit. The exit shouldn't be necessary at normal operation in my opinion and the localized Fn+Key combinations are difficult to handle - imagine the variants of keyboards you have in this world, for example chinese, Russion etc. I was trying to make it possible to leave the original Fn+Key Combo (if existing) when the script is not present, but I couldn't test this on my german keyboard.

Dec 30, 2008
1. The program isn't showing as a task because its window is hidden. Usually it should be running all the time and be started by Autostart, so no need to close it. You can kill it with some task manger though (e.g. the good one of FdcSoft).
oook, I'll try it :)
2. I will try to add the possibility to leave the OK as it is when no corresponding script exists in the next version, ok?
perfect!
The script with minimize is just an example and I would recommend to all of you to use your installed TaskManager for managing the close and minimize feature for the OK button. For SPBPocketPlus, I use the additionally installed program links which do this and I can use them without any issues. A TaskManager is a complex software and I wouldn't bypass it by the scripts. Since there are so many task managers out there, you have to figure out how to remote control yours.
the reason that i don't need to minimize/close by myself various active tasks is that i use Magic Button, and in any case I thing that I'll link a Fn+[letter] to a task manager (maybe the FdcSoft one :))
3. I will also try to make this Fn+Tab = Tab feature work in the next version, but I will need some days because I don't have time for this now - please be patient, ok?
ok ok
I think that I won't implement the remaining requests, localized Fn+Key mappings [...]. [...] the localized Fn+Key combinations are difficult to handle - imagine the variants of keyboards you have in this world, for example chinese, Russion etc. I was trying to make it possible to leave the original Fn+Key Combo (if existing) when the script is not present, but I couldn't test this on my german keyboard.
m... can I advise a little and fast and valid for all thing? just let the overriding of every [A-Z] letter, than is an end-user task if want to override that Fn+[letter] or not. ;) is it feasible?

Last edited:

JKingDev

Nov 3, 2006
@JKingDev
Please give me some days to make some minor changes on the code and to do at least a little cleanup. The code is a mess right now and comments are missing since I was doing this in a hurry quick and dirty ...

I will send it to you soon, promised!

Thank you! Uncommented code.. Sounds a lot like me. :D Dont go out of your way to comment it. I can figure out what is going on, comments or no. Just seeing your methods will be a great help!

Dandie

Apr 14, 2005
Ummm, yes I have SPB P+ installed too, but my coding skills are big fat 0. What do I need to do?

Oh, you don't need coding skills for that. You need to install the SPBPocketPlus Shortcut package. You can get that from SPB as separate cab file for free. Have a look into their forum.

When you installed this, you get two links in your start menu called [Close] and [Minimize]. Call these links in your scripts for Ok_short and Ok_long via Run("Linkpath"). Works great and 100% like I always wanted the Ok button to be!

Loco5150

Jun 8, 2008
Oh, you don't need coding skills for that. You need to install the SPBPocketPlus Shortcut package. You can get that from SPB as separate cab file for free. Have a look into their forum.

When you installed this, you get two links in your start menu called [Close] and [Minimize]. Call these links in your scripts for Ok_short and Ok_long via Run("Linkpath"). Works great and 100% like I always wanted the Ok button to be!

I didnt know about shortcut package for P+... Just downloaded it, I will try it soon...

tsponge

Dec 26, 2008
Is it possible to customize this app to do the following?
I would want a long press of the the volume rocker to change the track mediaplayer/GSplayer.
short press of left soft key-start
long press of left softkey-rotate screen
short press of right key-home++ tasklist
long press of right key-today screen
Change au key to ctrl

I am not sure how to use scripts and stuff...please help

tnx

Dandie

Apr 14, 2005
I will try to answer this shortly:

I would want a long press of the the volume rocker to change the track mediaplayer/GSplayer.
If the player supports track changing via commandline you can achieve this via some MortScript Run() command. With MortPlayer I know that it is possible.

short press of left soft key-start
short press of right key-home++ tasklist
Remapping of short press of softkey is already handled by the original Rom. Just go into the button settings.

long press of left softkey-rotate screen
Yes, that should be possible. I think there's one specific MortScript command for that. Just have a look into the installed Commands.txt!

long press of right key-today screen
This is already achieved by pressing the hang up button.

Change au key to ctrl
No, not possible. The sytem doesn't let you to.
I am not sure how to use scripts and stuff...please help

[/QUOTE]