CIFS support

Search This thread

camalot

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 25, 2007
Hickory Hills IL
de.codeplex.com
I have not seen this mentioned over here in the Vibrant sections at all, and sort of wonder why...

I found this thread by darkbyt3 while searching for cifs support a while back. I have tried the froyo module originally designed for the I9000 and it does work on the Vibrant. I am using the Stock + Voodoo kernel with Nero 3. You can use these modules (needs cifs.ko and slow-work.ko) along with Cifs Manager to mount your network shares.

Update:
Mount Manager (shameless plug) has been released and supports the loading of multiple modules. See the link for full details.

mm1.jpg

chart

Astro file manager can sort of do this without the cifs module using its SMB plugin, but I've never been able to open anything directly using the Astro SMB. I have to copy it to the device first. With CIFS, I can open anything just like it is already on the device.

To use these modules you have to load them. I copied them to a folder called modules on my internal sdcard.

Code:
$ su
# insmod /sdcard/modules/slow-work.ko
# insmod /sdcard/modules/cifs.ko
You can check that the cifs module is loaded
Code:
# lsmod | grep cifs
cifs 257211 0 - Live 0xbf29c000
slow_work 12113 1 cifs,[permanent], Live 0cbf0bd000 (P)
Then you create the mount (or you can use cifs manager)
Code:
# busybox mount -t cifs //192.168.222.1/shares /sdcard/network/shares
The only thing I haven't figured out yet (haven't really looked either) is how/where to put the insmod commands so these modules automatically load when the device boots. Since slow-work.ko has to be loaded before cifs.ko, cifs manager cannot be used to load the cifs module since it only supports loading one module.

Attachments

• froyo.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 480
Last edited:

lqaddict

Jul 19, 2010
NYC
I have not seen this mentioned over here in the Vibrant sections at all, and sort of wonder why...

I found this thread by darkbyt3 while searching for cifs support a while back. I have tried the froyo module originally designed for the I9000 and it does work on the Vibrant. I am using the Stock + Voodoo kernel with Nero 3. You can use these modules (needs cifs.ko and slow-work.ko) along with Cifs Manager to mount your network shares.

Astro file manager can sort of do this without the cifs module using its SMB plugin, but I've never been able to open anything directly using the Astro SMB. I have to copy it to the device first. With CIFS, I can open anything just like it is already on the device.

To use these modules you have to load them. I copied them to a folder called modules on my internal sdcard.

Code:
$ su

Code:
# lsmod | grep cifs

Code:

The only thing I haven't figured out yet (haven't really looked either) is how/where to put the insmod commands so these modules automatically load when the device boots. Since slow-work.ko has to be loaded before cifs.ko, cifs manager cannot be used to load the cifs module since it only supports loading one module.

Thanks a ton for the write up :)
As for the insmod commands on startup, I wonder if you can put them into init.rc, but I guess you need to create an update.zip like file to mod it and flash it via recovery.

kslays

Aug 23, 2010
Will this also work for NFS? I followed the steps in the OP, and the cifs modules are live, but I still cannot mount. I created the mount target directory as root with permissions set to all (777). It works on my computer. I tried typing these command into better term emulator:

busybox mount -t nfs 192.168.2.1:/my/mount /mnt/network
busybox mount -t nfs 192.168.2.1/my/mount /mnt/network
mount -t nfs 192.168.2.1:/my/mount /mnt/network
mount 192.168.2.1/my/mount /mnt/network

but I got this error for all of them:

mount: mounting 192.168.2.1:/my/mount on /mnt/network failed: No such[the
terminal gets cut off and I can't read the rest!]

CifsManager has this error:

mount:Invalid Argument

I'm running Axura 2.1 which uses JK6. Does the cifs.ko need to be compiled for specific kernels?

camalot

Jul 25, 2007
Hickory Hills IL
de.codeplex.com
Will this also work for NFS? I followed the steps in the OP, and the cifs modules are live, but I still cannot mount. I created the mount target directory as root with permissions set to all (777). It works on my computer. I tried typing these command into better term emulator:

busybox mount -t nfs 192.168.2.1:/my/mount /mnt/network
busybox mount -t nfs 192.168.2.1/my/mount /mnt/network
mount -t nfs 192.168.2.1:/my/mount /mnt/network
mount 192.168.2.1/my/mount /mnt/network

but I got this error for all of them:

mount: mounting 192.168.2.1:/my/mount on /mnt/network failed: No such[the
terminal gets cut off and I can't read the rest!]

CifsManager has this error:

mount:Invalid Argument

I'm running Axura 2.1 which uses JK6. Does the cifs.ko need to be compiled for specific kernels?

AFAIK nfs is different then cifs. I don't think cifs will work with nfs shares.

Whitehawkx

Oct 13, 2010
Emerald City

serendipityguy

Oct 9, 2010
Sunny, CA
one more step in making the Mobile Phone a True Computer :cool::cool:

Thanks for posting this CIFS Support, one more step in making the Mobile Phone a True Computer :cool::cool:

Sym_Link

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando
Couldn't you also add them to init.d if you are running nero or using voodoo?

I got it to work by adding it to init.d but I had to move the two .ko files to a folder I created in /data. I think it is because the sdcard doesn't mount until late in the boot process. Other than that it works perfectly and I can read my NAS.

Sym_Link

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando
in which folder and which file?

I just created a folder name CIFs in /data and put the two .ko files in it. Then in init.d I created a file that looked like :

#!/system/bin/sh

insmod /data/CIFs/slow-work.ko
insmod /data/CIFs/cifs.ko

But, just as dasunsrule32 stated, it doesn't matter what folder you use as long as your file points to the one you are using.

Whitehawkx

Oct 13, 2010
Emerald City
Awesomeness. Worked out great. Just as grendel905 stated I threw the .ko modules into a folder in /data and threw a script into init.d. They now load at boot. Just an fyi for ppl this method will not work if you are using a stock 2.2 kernel. You either need to be using voodoo or one of TW's kernels with the modified init.rc.

camalot

Jul 25, 2007
Hickory Hills IL
de.codeplex.com
I've released Mount Manager on the android market that will allow you to load these modules on your device automatically (without having to edit any files). It can load them when the device boots, or when the app starts.

It also can manage your cifs/nfs shares too. Allowing you to mount/unmount them. You can also set them to auto mount when the device boots, when the application starts or when connected to wifi.

For more info you can see the thread for the app where I will maintain the changelog.

mm1.jpg

chart

hololight

Dec 18, 2010
So here's the problem im having. Both modules load fine and I've confirmed they are loaded, but when I try and mount anything, mount says cifs is an invalid argument for type.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

hololight

Dec 18, 2010
First I tried mount manager and when that failed I did it myself from a term.

Double checked that slow-work and cifs modules are loaded...

Here is terminal...

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.12/d /mnt/sdcard/sd
mount: Invalid argument
#

Doesn't matter where I try to mount to...

Chris

Nm, wasn't paying attention to case for my share name.. works. Thanks

camalot

Jul 25, 2007
Hickory Hills IL
de.codeplex.com
First I tried mount manager and when that failed I did it myself from a term.

Double checked that slow-work and cifs modules are loaded...

Here is terminal...

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.12/d /mnt/sdcard/sd
mount: Invalid argument
#

Doesn't matter where I try to mount to...

Chris

Nm, wasn't paying attention to case for my share name.. works. Thanks

you should be able to do this and not have to worry about the case of your shares:

Code:
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.12/d /mnt/sdcard/sd -o nocase

unkle_george

Jun 29, 2007
nfs.ko

has anyone been able to create a nfs.ko module?

Thanks to the directions here I was able to create a loading cifs.ko for the Firebird SGS / GT-I9010 Kernel, but my nfs.ko built with the same process wouldn't load.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Update:
    Mount Manager (shameless plug) has been released and supports the loading of multiple modules. See the link for full details.

mm1.jpg

chart

Code:
    $ su
    Code:
    # lsmod | grep cifs
    Code: