[JIT Updated 31/12/10] Frozen Eclair- For 2.21 & AND NOW 2.34.1 Firmwares

Search This thread
Jan 9, 2011
Ok for quadrant,
but Linpack is a pure math benchmark that shouldn't be biased to one platform... if not for the fastest one, legitimately.
Anyway it's reassuring to see that nexus S score.

Quote from greenecomputing.com(Linpack)

So, what is it about the Snapdragon then that makes it perform so much better on the Linpack benchmarks? The Nexus One, Droid Incredible, and the EVO 4G use the same type processor, the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor with the Scorpion core. The Scorpion core is an a 1-GHz control processor based on ARM’s Cortex instruction set supported by an array of 600-MHz DSP and accelerator cores for baseband and video processing that offer 128-bit single instruction multiple data (SIMD) functionality. Thus, the Scorpion core can process SIMD instructions in 128-bit-wide chunks, while most other Cortex based chips are restricted to 64 bits. Scorpion also has a deeper pipeline, which includes VFP commands, while VFP commands are not pipelined in the Cortex.

chaihg

Nov 15, 2010
Hi Higgsy, Is it possible to know whether I am running the JIT enabled firmware or if it dint apply. I am rather doubtful and wanted to check this out before I made a nandroid of this good working ROM i customized.
Thanks

Higgsy

Oct 16, 2009
Smethvegas
if you flashed the zip it will of applied. You can do a Linpack, and you will get around 14 if it is enabled, 7 if not. Or you can do an adb logcat and look for it resizing the jit table.

chaihg

Nov 15, 2010
Thanks Higgsy. Linpack came to around 12 so it should be JIT enabled. Thanks for all these again.

Sent from my MB525 using XDA App

Jt612

Dec 2, 2010
I thought i might just drop in and say that the 2.21 hit/deodex works on the telstra version which is 2.26.0

Sent using motorola defy

vshymanskyy

Dec 5, 2010
Kyiv
Guys!

Please explain me what are those odex files and why should we get rid of them? :)
Tried searching the forum, without success.

I have official Froyo now, seems to be "odexed".

tim440

Dec 3, 2010
Sevilla
I installed this yesterday and all is good, apart from the fact that I lost about 80 photos from my sd card. I've searched jpegs and they're not there. Anybody got any ideas what might have happened to them'

Jan 9, 2011
Guys!

Please explain me what are those odex files and why should we get rid of them? :)

The Dalvik Virtual Machine that interprets/compiles the apps optimizes the
apps for the phone it runs on. This happens when you install the app.
But now you have parts of the APK 2 times. The original one and the optimized version
that is stored in the so called "Dalvik Cache". This takes additional storage.
As this makes no sense for the apps that come with your phone and
will normaly never change, those stuff is pre-optimized at factory and only the optimized versions,
the ODEX'ed (Optimized Dalvik EXecutable) version, is installed to the phone.
The problem is the Frozen Eclair Mod uses the Dalvik Virtual Machine from
Froyo, and Froyo can't handle the ODEX files created for Eclair.
Also you need the deodexed versions if you want to modify stuff like themes.
Deodexing is done via disassembling and rebuilding the classes file inside the APK's.

Caliber

May 3, 2006
Well i just installed the 2.51.1 Central Europe Less Blur Service SBF.
then did Linpack and got 6.something

I rooted with the newer Superoneclick.exe and installed the 2.34 JIT/Deodexed Pack
via Recovery Mod

After that i got 11.7 So far everything runs smooth and snappy.
Do i have to apply anymore 2.51.1 updates for JIT or does this mean, that my defy is fine now?

cheers and Big Big Thx to you Antibyte ,Modaco and Higgsy

Last edited:

linel90

Jan 6, 2011
dunno if this is just me but
Download FrozenEclair_V2.34.1.zip Here from 2.34.1 No Blur Stock ROMs
seems down

trajano

Dec 14, 2010
With the exception of the libnativehelper.so (prevents startup) and the jar files in framework (haven't tried) the 2.34 zip works with the XT720

d1srupt3r

Nov 16, 2006
Sorry to spoil, but a little question here. I have 2.51.1 out of the box. Can I even apply the 2.34 JIT to my phone? Thanks for an advice. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Firstly I am posting this with permission of Antibyte@ Modaco. All props go to him for the origina JIT files - buy him a beer or summat.

Original Thread (Modaco)

For all those asking what JIT is this is a good explanation:

What is JIT for Android

Please don't flood the thread asking what JIT is - Google is your friend.

Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any damage to your phone, your PC or indeed your life from following this guide. The steps in this guide worked for me. Doing this kind of thing could affect your warranty and all that so have a long hard think about it before you go ahead. If anything goes wrong and you get into a bootloop or something then use my debricking guide posted in this forum. Make a backup first by Tenfars Clockwork Mod for Defy

After I attempted JIT in a half arsed way previously and not getting good results (force closes etc). Antibyte has done it the right way and compile his "Frozen Eclair" JIT package.

NB: if you have removed apps this will add them back in as it is based on all the apps from the stock rom.

Ok So this is super easy now - one update.zip applied via Tenfars Clockworkmod Recovery Get it Here! - so no excuses not to give it a try! You won't be sorry.

As always start by making a backup via Clockwork Recovery.

There are now 2 packages - Choose the one for the the appropriate stock ROM you use (2.21 or 2.34.1), make sure you choose the right one for godsake or bad things will most probably happen!

Download FrozenEclairDefy_V2.zip Here for 2.21 Stock ROMs

Download FrozenEclair_V2.34.1.zip Here from 2.34.1 No Blur Stock ROMs

Instructions:

Place the FrozenEclair.....zip on the root of your sdcard
    Boot into recovery
    Select "Install zip from SDCARD"
    Select "Choose zip from sdcard"
    Select FrozenEclairDefy......zip from the list
    Select "YES - Install - FrozenEclair......zip

The above will then install and then you just need to reboot. 1st boot will take longer than usual while it rebuilds the dalvik cache.

For some reason this removes root, so just reroot by Z4Root or your preferred method once the phone has rebooted. This will also mean you will have to reapply your overclock if you use milestone overclock (well it did for me anyways!)

##If you get any untoward things happening like force closes/apps not working my advice is to 1) reflash the .sbf (you follow my guide for this) and if that doesn't work 2)do a full wipe of all data. This is hacking and stuff like that happens all the time so be prepared##

MY Advice if you want to change to 2.34.1 ROM from 2.21. Follow this process:

• Back up all user apps/their data by titanium backup.
    • Boot into recovery and make a backup of your 2.21 ROM.
    • Then wipe data/cache in the recovery options.
    • Using the debranding guide, flash the 2.34.1 firmware.
    • After 1st boot it will be as if you have a new phone.
    • Install z4root - root the badboy.
    • Then after reboot install Tenfars ClockworkMod - apply the mod and boot into it
    • Flash the deodex/JIT package.
    • After 1st reboot, reroot with Z4root.
    • Reinstall titanium back up from the market and reinstall you user apps/data.
    • Reset up your system settings.
    • Once you've got it back how you like it, boot back into recovery and back up the new rom.

So to reitterate thanks for this go to:

Antibyte @ Modaco for the JIT Files and full Update.zip 2.21 ROM:cool:
    Paul @ Modaco for the deodexed/optimised app/framework for the 2.21 ROM;)
    Me for the XDA guide and the original Update.zip for V1 and the deodexed app/framework for 2.34.1 ROM, and the JIT update.zip
    Sorensiim for the generous hosting of all my files, meaning direct downloads and no shady file sharing sites - good lad!

Changelog:

19/12/10:

Frozen Eclair V1 - JIT For Defy
    Tut on deodexing rom
    Update.zip for installing JIT

20/12/10:

Frozen Eclair V2 - JIT For Defy
    Recompiled and more optimisations
    Whole process automated in 1 easy update.zip that includes deodexing and installing JIT.
    Tut/OP updated to reflect the above changes

31/12/10:

Frozen Eclair V2.34.1 for 2.34.1 No Blur Stock ROM released
    For those that don't know I have added a link to the OP which gives a pretty decent explanation for what JIT for android is, or you could google "what is android jit" and you''ll find plenty of info :p lets use this thread to discuss this mod and any bugs etc.
    Guys!

The Dalvik Virtual Machine that interprets/compiles the apps optimizes the
    apps for the phone it runs on. This happens when you install the app.
    But now you have parts of the APK 2 times. The original one and the optimized version
    that is stored in the so called "Dalvik Cache". This takes additional storage.
    As this makes no sense for the apps that come with your phone and
    will normaly never change, those stuff is pre-optimized at factory and only the optimized versions,
    the ODEX'ed (Optimized Dalvik EXecutable) version, is installed to the phone.
    The problem is the Frozen Eclair Mod uses the Dalvik Virtual Machine from
    Froyo, and Froyo can't handle the ODEX files created for Eclair.
    Also you need the deodexed versions if you want to modify stuff like themes.
    Deodexing is done via disassembling and rebuilding the classes file inside the APK's.
    Ok for quadrant,
    but Linpack is a pure math benchmark that shouldn't be biased to one platform... if not for the fastest one, legitimately.
    Anyway it's reassuring to see that nexus S score.

Quote from greenecomputing.com(Linpack)

So, what is it about the Snapdragon then that makes it perform so much better on the Linpack benchmarks? The Nexus One, Droid Incredible, and the EVO 4G use the same type processor, the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor with the Scorpion core. The Scorpion core is an a 1-GHz control processor based on ARM’s Cortex instruction set supported by an array of 600-MHz DSP and accelerator cores for baseband and video processing that offer 128-bit single instruction multiple data (SIMD) functionality. Thus, the Scorpion core can process SIMD instructions in 128-bit-wide chunks, while most other Cortex based chips are restricted to 64 bits. Scorpion also has a deeper pipeline, which includes VFP commands, while VFP commands are not pipelined in the Cortex.
    Great ! But what's MCR optimised ?

Paul runs the apks through his optimisation process, I don't know exactly what it does, but i trust Paul -but if you don't then just use the standard deodexed apps