[Q] OTA stuck at white HTC Screen, now what?

Search This thread

mattloak

Nov 1, 2010
Whoops. I did the OTA without doing any research first and now I'm stuck.

I was running the stock GB ROM, rooted with HTCdev unlock, Amon Ra and S-on. I did the OTA that "Prepped" the phone for ICS today and it apparently unrooted the phone. I didn't really dig into it and just went ahead with the ICS OTA. It downloaded and I hit OK and it booted into recovery. Eventually the option to reboot presented and I chose it. Now I'm stuck at the white HTC screen.

I know I should have been paying a little more attention to what I was doing and should have done some more reading before I went ahead with the OTA.

I've done some research but haven't found any solutions that are specific to this OTA. What should I do now? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

zac41189

May 16, 2012
Albuquerque

I was running the stock GB ROM, rooted with HTCdev unlock and S-on. I'm pretty sure I had CWM recovery, althought it might have been Amon RA. I did the OTA that "Prepped" the phone for ICS today and it apparently unrooted the phone. I didn't really dig into it and just went ahead with the ICS OTA. It downloaded and I hit OK and it booted into some kind of recovery, again I wasn't paying attention. Eventually the option to reboot presented and I chose it. Now I'm stuck at the white HTC screen.

I know I should have been paying a little more attention to what I was doing and should have done some more reading before I went ahead with the OTA.

I've done some research but haven't found any solutions that are specific to this OTA. What should I do now? Thanks in advance.

No worries. You do need to be careful but you can fix this.

First relock your bootloader in fastboot with the command: fastboot oem lock

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1810931

Download the RUU file from the android police website and rename it PH98IMG.zip and place it on the root of your external SD card (not in any folders). Reboot to bootloader and your phone will find it and apply the OTA update.

Make sure to remove it from the root directory on your SD after your phone reboots.

You'll be good to go running ICS 3.14.605.12!

EDIT: Just remembered you said you were stuck at splash screen. If you can't get past that you might need an SD card reader to do all this on a pc but its still totally doable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slartiwhatever
Dec 13, 2010
after DL'ing the RUU, how do you put the file on your phone? im stuck on that screen and dont know how to access the phones files to put that file on the root

thanks in advance

edit: sd card reader

Last edited:

Junetastic

Aug 11, 2010
So there's no way of doing this without getting another SD card with the file or using SD card reader?

trizzypballr

Aug 18, 2012
I wish I would have saw this before I installed a ROM hoping that would fix it. How do I get rid of the ROM now to run stock? It was Scotts Clean ROM if that matters at all

LunaticSerenade

Nov 26, 2008
Columbus
Not to sound like a total n00b, but could you walk me threw that?

I need to lock the boot loader threw fast boot also i read above? How do I do that?

You would need to boot into fastboot, then type 'fastboot oem lock' I believe.

After that, download http://db.tt/M09JDsfq, rename it PH98IMG, place it on the root of your SD, reboot into hboot, and flash!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

trizzypballr

Aug 18, 2012
You would need to boot into fastboot, then type 'fastboot oem lock' I believe.

After that, download http://db.tt/M09JDsfq, rename it PH98IMG, place it on the root of your SD, reboot into hboot, and flash!

im confused where im typing at in fastboot though?

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 AM ----------

Im not sure how to lock it again, but its unlocked and started loading ph98img.zip right away for me. hopefully it works....

LunaticSerenade

Nov 26, 2008
Columbus
im confused where im typing at in fastboot though?

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 AM ----------

Im not sure how to lock it again, but its unlocked and started loading ph98img.zip right away for me. hopefully it works....

Fastboot is basically adb, but in bootloader.

Hopefully it flashes! If not, I really recommend S-Off over the re-lock business.

trizzypballr

Aug 18, 2012
Fastboot is basically adb, but in bootloader.

Hopefully it flashes! If not, I really recommend S-Off over the re-lock business.

Im not sure if it actually worked or not... The phone is still acting the same... Stuck with Scotts Clean ROM and every time i use the dialer the phone restarts... I can make calls but as soon as i hang up the phone reboots... If I actually try to dial a number instead of choosing a contact, it freezes for a few seconds and then restarts...

LunaticSerenade

Nov 26, 2008
Columbus
Im not sure if it actually worked or not... The phone is still acting the same... Stuck with Scotts Clean ROM and every time i use the dialer the phone restarts... I can make calls but as soon as i hang up the phone reboots... If I actually try to dial a number instead of choosing a contact, it freezes for a few seconds and then restarts...

Yeah, you should S-Off and then flash the PH98IMG.

Slartiwhatever

Dec 19, 2011

Thanks for this. I was able to get my wife's Rezound back up and working. It was previously unlocked.

Unfortunately, however, all of her apps & data were wiped. I'm not sure if this was supposed to happen with the OTA upgrade (and she says she's not really sure what it said before the upgrade), or with the method listed here, or if it was just more of whatever screwup made it freeze up at the white screen in the first place.

Whatever the cause was, I'd now like to root it so I can install Titanium Backup for her, but I can't get into the bootloader as I did before I got the ICS to load. Is there a different trick to loading it? (adb and fastboot aren't recognizing the device at this point, so that method isn't working either.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I was running the stock GB ROM, rooted with HTCdev unlock and S-on. I'm pretty sure I had CWM recovery, althought it might have been Amon RA. I did the OTA that "Prepped" the phone for ICS today and it apparently unrooted the phone. I didn't really dig into it and just went ahead with the ICS OTA. It downloaded and I hit OK and it booted into some kind of recovery, again I wasn't paying attention. Eventually the option to reboot presented and I chose it. Now I'm stuck at the white HTC screen.

First relock your bootloader in fastboot with the command: fastboot oem lock

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1810931

Download the RUU file from the android police website and rename it PH98IMG.zip and place it on the root of your external SD card (not in any folders). Reboot to bootloader and your phone will find it and apply the OTA update.

Make sure to remove it from the root directory on your SD after your phone reboots.

You'll be good to go running ICS 3.14.605.12!

EDIT: Just remembered you said you were stuck at splash screen. If you can't get past that you might need an SD card reader to do all this on a pc but its still totally doable.