Absurd battery drain

Search This thread
Sep 3, 2012
Hi guys I'm really depressed because my phone is not working as it should be. There is a problem that appeared two weeks ago, my battery is having a massive drain with no apparently reason. I already tried everything, from installing a custom rom, deactivate all bloatware and Google Apps, installing different firmwares from Samsung, made several factory resets, changed my sim card, among other things. Even if I keep WiFi, mobile data, GPS, sync and all other things off, or even if I put on airplane mode and ultra power saving, that doesn't avoid my phone's battery to drain about 30% on a single night when I go to sleep and at a rate of 10% per hour in the morning. Looking at the battery usage the process that is giving me problems is gpsd which I don't know what it is. The rare thing is that if I remove my sim card this doesn't happen, or when I reset the phone with the sim in and don't activate mobile data my phone behaves normally but when I turn on data this starts happening again. Also I notice that almost never goes to deep sleep. The phone's model is G900h by the way. Here are some screens I took so you can look at this problem. I would really appreciate if you could help me because I am dying here, I rooted the phone and triggered Knox counter so I sadly lost my guarantee.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-21-17-37-50.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-21-17-37-50.png
    216.9 KB · Views: 270
  • Screenshot_2014-08-21-17-38-00.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-21-17-38-00.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Screenshot_2014-08-21-17-38-36.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-21-17-38-36.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

supasma

May 8, 2014
Do you use Google maps? It may be running in the background and draining your battery. Try disabling maps in settings and see if that fixes it

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=4886

This link has some info on the problem, have you gone to location settings in your phone and Google settings and turned everything off related to location such a location reporting?

Sep 3, 2012
Yes I did turned everything off regarding location settings. I disabled maps and everything that may be using GPS. I'm sure it's not an app I have installed because I made a factory reset and disabled several bloatware and Google Apps. But I tried something drastic, with root manager I made a copy of the gpsd file on my SD and erase it from my phone. I hope that would solve this hirritating problem

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
steppenwolf1984 said:
the process that is giving me problems is gpsd which I don't know what it is.

steppenwolf1984 said:

How can you not know what gpsd is when the simplest Google search would tell you? A reasonable person would have tried a search before posting as one would reasonably expect that there is a wealth of information in existing threads for most subjects. A ten second search will answer most questions (including this one).

Google search: android gpsd

Gpsd is as you would expect from the name is probably a GPS daemon. And it's unlikely to be the culprit. Rather whatever process calls gpsd will be at fault. That is probably some program that tries to frequently check it's location or otherwise poll the GPS status. Which is supported by your observation that the problem disappears if you remove your SIM card. At the top of the list is Google now or related Google programs that are infamous for this behaviour.

Google cares a lot more about tracking your location and targeting ads at you than your battery life. A forum search will find detailed information about how to fix the issue to markedly reduce battery use in existing threads. In short by restricting the Google app's permissions. Or search my post history, I wrote about this at length a hundred or so posts back.

whtvr

Jul 1, 2010
I'm sure you've already done that, but take a look at what apps/processes are running on your phone. Perhaps one of them is (part of) the problem?

Alan Shore

Jul 1, 2009
:)

Check your wakelocks,

Go get wakelock detector and let it run and see whats triggering your phone.

Never had the gpsd issue.

18 hours with 37 percent left?

You're doing pretty well, :)

javier_machuk

May 3, 2013
did you manage to solve that problem? i have the same problem, even when i disable all location services it keeps draining my battery. I installed wakelock detector but it says it doens't work on kitkat.

Sep 3, 2012
Yes I did, thanks very much to all of you for your help. The culprit for this problem in my case was one of the Google apps. I only root my phone so to be able to uninstalled every gapp with titanium backup and then download the ones I needed from the play store

javier_machuk

May 3, 2013
Yes I did, thanks very much to all of you for your help. The culprit for this problem in my case was one of the Google apps. I only root my phone so to be able to uninstalled every gapp with titanium backup and then download the ones I needed from the play store

did you find out wich of the gapps was the culprit? did you try disabling it instead of rooting to uninstall?