[Q] No "Black X" Buttons to Turn off background tasks

Search This thread

mrdh

May 19, 2011
Virginia Beach
Brand new Lumia 925 and when I use the back button, I see no black X buttons to turn off background tasks. Did this option change? I got the Nokia Black update. This is my fourth windows phone.

where's the black X?

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Eh? It's press-and-hold Back on my phone. Requires GDR3, which you can get direct from Microsoft even if the OEM firmware isn't available yet. Did Nokia do something weird with the task switcher?

xandros9

Aug 29, 2011
Probably. Nokia is really starting to piss me off the way they're breaking standard functionality of windows phones.

it wasnt done intentionally. its intact practically anywhere else. (e.g. my 920 with U3/Black) (they're only added)

Also worth noting it never was necessary, it was just a gesture to appease the masses used to closing every single app after every single use on Android and to a lesser extent iOS. I'll admit the extra control was nice though.

but it is strange how the (X) is missing, have you tried a hard reset? confirmed it is indeed Black onboard?
have you tried tapping where the (X) should've showed up?

Last edited:

jordanmills

Sep 10, 2006
Pearland, TX
www.jordanmills.com
it wasnt done intentionally. its intact practically anywhere else. (e.g. my 920 with U3/Black) (they're only added)

Also worth noting it never was necessary, it was just a gesture to appease the masses used to closing every single app after every single use on Android and to a lesser extent iOS. I'll admit the extra control was nice though.

but it is strange how the (X) is missing, have you tried a hard reset? confirmed it is indeed Black onboard?

It's kind of necessary. Sometimes you need to close a poorly designed app to make it do something. Or sometimes the app is running wild in the background and you need to make it go away.

xandros9

Aug 29, 2011
It's kind of necessary. Sometimes you need to close a poorly designed app to make it do something. Or sometimes the app is running wild in the background and you need to make it go away.

I've yet to find such an app in my own experience, but then again thats just me. (but yea, spamming back was a pain when you did want to close something on a whim)

taming crazy apps in the background is done via the background tasks section under applications in Settings since multitasking is more a la iOS than Android and standard Windows.

jordanmills

Sep 10, 2006
Pearland, TX
www.jordanmills.com

I've yet to find such an app in my own experience, but then again thats just me. (but yea, spamming back was a pain when you did want to close something on a whim)

taming crazy apps in the background is done via the background tasks section under applications in Settings since multitasking is more a la iOS than Android and standard Windows.

tinder unauthorized is one that immediately comes to mind. Viber, too, if you haven't fully set it up.

Not sure about that. I've had issues where I've loaded complex pages in IE, gone to start, then had it still burning the battery even though it's not in the foreground. I think I had issues with nokia maps or drive doing the same. Might have something to do with extra capabilities not available to third party devs.

Reactions: xandros9

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Also, most apps will be forcibly closed if you re-launch them from Start. It's possible to make an app not do that (make it resume instead) but almost nobody does.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

tinder unauthorized is one that immediately comes to mind. Viber, too, if you haven't fully set it up.

Not sure about that. I've had issues where I've loaded complex pages in IE, gone to start, then had it still burning the battery even though it's not in the foreground. I think I had issues with nokia maps or drive doing the same. Might have something to do with extra capabilities not available to third party devs.