[How-To] Root G900AUCU2ANG3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

netter123

Oct 30, 2010
Okay thanks. I guess I thought the rom could have been rooted with the old kernel, updated to ng3, then packaged ready to flash in the zip.

The zip can be flashed using stock recovery though right (vs Safestrap)?

mwj2996

Apr 8, 2014
S5 root

Muniz I have an S5with ND3 that I was able to root with towel root because it had an older kernel, so will this allow me to upgrade to NG3 on this phone? I also have a brand new S5 with NG3 and the kernel is from July. Can I follow the OP instructions to root it as well?

Thanks for your help!

Bit the bullet and did this on all 3 phones and it worked great. Followed the main instructions for the new phone and the alternative instructions for the 2 rooted phones that had safestrap installed. All 3 are now rooted NG3

Last edited:

OG!

Jun 17, 2014
I believe I am correct

Hello. So a loooooong time ago I used this method here (look up on YouTube since I cannot put links) "How to Root Galaxy S5, S4, Note 3 on [NF+] Android 4.4.2 (TowelRoot) "
and I am hoping it is okay if I want to use safe strap correctly? My phone is already rooted and it has NG3. Do I need to redo everything but with your files or am I good?

netter123

Oct 30, 2010
Not Stock Recovery. I didn't use that zip I just followed the OP @muniz_ri will be able to answer this

Okay thanks. I guess I thought the rom could have been rooted with the old kernel, updated to ng3, then packaged ready to flash in the zip.

The zip can be flashed using stock recovery though right (vs Safestrap)?

FYI to anyone else interested, I was not able to flash the rooted ng3 zip via stock recovery.

s8freak

Jan 17, 2013
Sanger
I'm new to Samsung devices. I have downloaded both the kernel and odin
I do not know how to use odins PDA Slot and don't know what to expect. Any information anyone would contribute would be appreciated. How do I execute this?

A google search provided these links then just follow the steps in OP its actually much easier than it looks or sounds.

Attachments

• 1421785948576.jpg
    1421785948576.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 624
Reactions: karatche

torin555

Jan 23, 2015
So I have a couple questions, will this remove my apps and files that I have stored on my phone? I don't have an SD card. Also will this end up with a downgraded phone to a previous version? or does it re-upgrade the phone after you root it, that's probably a stupid question I just want to make sure I understand what's happening before I do it. Also what is the "safestrap" method, it looks easier but I'm not sure what it's actually doing.

s8freak

Jan 17, 2013
Sanger
So I have a couple questions, will this remove my apps and files that I have stored on my phone? I don't have an SD card. Also will this end up with a downgraded phone to a previous version? or does it re-upgrade the phone after you root it, that's probably a stupid question I just want to make sure I understand what's happening before I do it. Also what is the "safestrap" method, it looks easier but I'm not sure what it's actually doing.

You will lose all data since it essentially makes it a brand new phone albeit downgraded to a previous firmware.
You cannot use Safestrap since that is the only custom recovery for that device. To be able to use Safestrap you must follow the OP directions exactly to root and use Safestrap to flash custom T/W Roms, mods or themes.
You cannot flash AOSP ROMs or custom kernels.
Please read here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2697270
Here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2794087
Here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2785185

Mstr33t

Mar 13, 2011
Odin will not open for me, a message pops up saying Odin.ini and then some what I'm assuming is Korean text. It used to work just fine.

rachelm920

Apr 12, 2011
Hartford, CT
Good evening,

I rooted my BF's S5 when root first came out using towel root right from his phone, I never officially installed a custom ROM. He went ahead and updated to NG3 and is now having all sorts of problems connecting bluetooth etc. I wanted to "unroot" it, but found I could not because he lost root with his update. However, the problem is this. I cannot use odin, he has a mac. The only Windows PC I have access to myself is at work, and cannot be taking his phone to work with me when he needs to use the device (plus I don't think my boss will appreciate me using work computers for rooting/unrooting phones LOL). I have seen some information on xda for using "heimdall" on a mac, however it says not to use files that are "too big" but does not give a specific file size as to what exactly is "too big". Does anyone on here know if heimdall will work in this situation? I'm used to odin myself, and I don't want to brick his device just to fix B/T. It seems that safestrap is not installed either.... I also tried the whole VMWare but apparently you need a Windows disc to install the virtual machine... I don't have a windows disc. ..GRRR first & last time I root his phone LOL

Zoey2014

Dec 8, 2014
OK, question. I had rooted my S5 with Towelroot following these instructions.

Today AT&T has released 4.4.4 and I can't stop it. I unrooted and am going to have to take the update. Can I use this same method to root again after it updates or do I have to wait for another kernel to be posted and flash that first?

s8freak

Jan 17, 2013
Sanger
OK, question. I had rooted my S5 with Towelroot following these instructions.

Today AT&T has released 4.4.4 and I can't stop it. I unrooted and am going to have to take the update. Can I use this same method to root again after it updates or do I have to wait for another kernel to be posted and flash that first?

If you haven't taken update yet don't you won't be able to root again

Zoey2014

Dec 8, 2014
If you haven't taken update yet don't you won't be able to root again

Well let me tell you what happened. I never could stop the download by doing anything. All I did was unroot with Superuser, but did not update the kernel. So it downloaded and I just told it to install because it said it would remind me in 48 hours to install.

It went through the steps and the install failed.

Went back and rooted again with Towelroot. Since it downloaded and tried to install, will it leave me alone about the update?

s8freak

Jan 17, 2013
Sanger
Well let me tell you what happened. I never could stop the download by doing anything. All I did was unroot with Superuser, but did not update the kernel. So it downloaded and I just told it to install because it said it would remind me in 48 hours to install.

It went through the steps and the install failed.

Went back and rooted again with Towelroot. Since it downloaded and tried to install, will it leave me alone about the update?

No it'll keep asking you to update @ted77usa knows which file to freeze using Titanium Backup and I've just tagged him so he'll be along shortly to help you. It's really easy to do

Reactions: Zoey2014
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **Make certain that your reactivation lock in security settings is off before beginning this process**

1. Take the NG3 OTA update.
    2. Download and install Towelroot-v3.apk(this version does not require internet access).
    3. Place your phone into "Download Mode" (press and hold the Home, Volume Down, and Power keys until the phone powers on and displays warning screen, then press Volume Up key) and flash the G900A_ND3_Stock_Kernel using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
    4. Open the Towelroot app from your app drawer and press "Make it Rain" to root your device.
    5. Power off then boot into "Download Mode" again and flash the G900A_NG3_Stock_Kernel also using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
    6. Install SuperSU to manage root access. Done!

Notes:
    1. After flashing the ND3 kernel your phone may run a little wonky and towelroot may not root on the first try. If that happens reboot and try towelroot once again. Once rooted and after flashing the NG3 kernel your phone will once again run like a champ!
    2. Following the above process will not affect your User Data or Knox Warranty Flag.
    3. Should the NG3 ota update fail consider returning to stock NCE by flashing the G900A_Downgrade_to_NCE.tar using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+) then taking the NG3 OTA update (or place the G900A_NCEtoNG3_OTA.zip onto your ext-sdcard and sideload from stock recovery). Once updated to NG3 continue from Step 2 above.

Alternative Method for Safestrap Users:
    1. Place the G900A_NG3_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip onto your ext-sdcard.
    2. Use Safestrap's Backup Function to back-up User Data.
    3. From the Safestrap recovery perform an "Advanced Wipe" and wipe everything but your ext-sdcard.
    4. Flash the G900A_NG3_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip using Safestrap's "Stock Slot."
    5. Then press "Home" then "Restore" and restore User Data.
    6. Once complete press "Home" then "Reboot" and reboot into "Download" mode.
    7. Last, flash the G900A_NG3_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 using Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).

Notes:
    1. The G900A_NG3_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, and Stock Recovery to NG3 but does not include the NG3 Bootloader.
    Good read and a good opportunity to remind everyone, if root access is important to you, put off taking the L update when released until it can be evaluated: https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z13fjtr4voemxt4ph04cjl1aoor5ezninhc
    Ok, so yesterday I did the OTA(I think this stands for Over/On the Air) update like a dumb dumb and it Unrooted my phone, even worse is that I had freedom installed and now my host file is modified so I cant use Google Play Store :/

So I just want to clarify I follow the guide in the OP and I should be fine? Also where can I get this "Odin" program? I attempted searching the forums found something but the link was removed :/

Correct, just follow the OP. Here is a link to the Odin v3.09 file: http://rootjunkysdl.com/getdownload.php?file=Galaxy S5/NE9 Root/Odin 3.zip
    G900A_NG3_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip

FYI.......Just added a G900A_NG3_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip to the OP under "Troubleshooting" section Option-2 for Safesterap Users.
    No it'll keep asking you to update @ted77usa knows which file to freeze using Titanium Backup and I've just tagged him so he'll be along shortly to help you. It's really easy to do

Ok thanks.. I don't have Titanium Backup, but will download it.
    These what I always do to blocked ATT update.
    07b5a3adedde0137e8e5b80aa1a9bb55.jpg

And one more FWupdate.apk thanks to @guut13 that maintained ATT index thread.
    0BZRuH0.png