[APP] OblyTile - Tile Creator for all programs.

Search This thread

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
I have feature request.. can u please add a clean up option that can clean unused folder from C:\Program Files\OblyTile
A clean up function to detect & delete unused folder can be made on future releases, thanks you for your suggestion! :good:

A couple of minor issues I've seen:

1. On my media PC I used this app to create shortcuts to Libraries on a networked drive (My Videos, Documents, etc on another PC). These shortcuts open the folders fine, but an error message also pops up every time behind the folder stating that the network location (or directory) couldn't be found. I just click OK and everything works fine otherwise.
This is fixed on version v0.9 (will be disponible during this week)

2. Again on my media PC, I have ripped a DVD movie (.iso format) in a local folder (not a network folder) that I created a shortcut to with OblyTile. When I click the shortcut, I get a very similar error message to the first issue except the file doesn't launch. The dialog box just said there is no file there. At this point, I had ISO's set to "mount" in explorer (and then I would just right click the drive it mounted to and run the file with VLC). After this, I set the ISO to open with VLC by default (to play the movie) instead of mounting to Explorer (which is really what I wanted anyway). After doing this, the OblyTile shortcut worked fine with no error. But if you did want to mount ISO's by default (which I usually do, just not on this PC), it seems that the OblyTile shortcut wouldn't work unless there's another way to input the target for the shortcut to force it to mount in explorer.
This issue may get solved by changing the way to launch program.
OblyTIle uses generics Vbs files as launcher, my idea is to make a small launcher. (This will solve many issue).

Thanks you for the feedback! :good:

o0z0o

Jan 5, 2008
Hi Argony-OT :) I have many questions to You. How works Your program? I mean how You customize vbs shortcuts programmatically? You using C# windows form application to create secondary tile, or something else? I have idea how can create wide tiles too (with two programs c# for windows and c# for store apps), but my English writing is not very pure. I will try to explain. There are must be two kinds of applications:
First app - Windows Form Application: which can create shortcut in format *.bat, or *.vbs, with some name must be created folder with wide, square, and little images (you can customize it), all shortcuts must be added to library folder (like "C:\Metro") or etc. (becouse i cant access from metro: Program Files, only some folders like library's).
Second app - Windows Store Application: which scans "Metro" library, and creates all tiles as secondaryTiles with all stored images and batch file path writed in TileActivationArguments (like "C:\Metro\Adobe-Photoshop_CS6-13-02-11-00-55\Adobe-Photoshop-CS6.bat"). When secondary tile would be activated, this app directly launched this bat file.

Thank You.

Last edited:
Reactions: Argony-OT

Androidmarketuser

Oct 21, 2010
Hi Argony-OT :) I have many questions to You. How works Your program? I mean how You customize vbs shortcuts programmatically? You using C# windows form application to create secondary tile, or something else? I have idea how can create wide tiles too (with two programs c# for windows and c# for store apps), but my English writing is not very pure. I will try to explain. There are must be two kinds of applications:

Thank You.

I think this method is used by Pin Anything or other programs, but I don't know exactly.

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
Hi Argony-OT :) I have many questions to You. How works Your program? I mean how You customize vbs shortcuts programmatically? You using C# windows form application to create secondary tile, or something else? I have idea how can create wide tiles too (with two programs c# for windows and c# for store apps), but my English writing is not very pure. I will try to explain.
Thank You.

Hello,

OblyTile is made in Visual Basic (.net), it does not require any Windows Store App to work. This is the goal, keep the program work without using the (limited) windows api.

Using a mixed app (Windows App + Desktop App) is a good way, but is still limited. What i'm trying to do with OblyTile is to give a fast way to create tiles without installing softwares on your pc.

Thanks you a lot for your post! :good:

Argony

o0z0o

Jan 5, 2008
Can you tell me how you pin your shortcuts to metro with custom images? And how you customize title color programmatically? It is registry trick? It's need compiler? And you use modified version of "resources.pri" what this file do it must be built with vb (.net)? If You answer me this questions i will experimenting and later share with you my ideas. I want to know root ideas how to beat the system and work with it. This is my hobby.

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
Can you tell me how you pin your shortcuts to metro with custom images? And how you customize title color programmatically? It is registry trick? It's need compiler? And you use modified version of "resources.pri" what this file do it must be built with vb (.net)? If You answer me this questions i will experimenting and later share with you my ideas. I want to know root ideas how to beat the system and work with it. This is my hobby.

I will contact you in private message.

Argony

New update released. :good:

Some of the function requested are not included on this update, i hope to include them on the future updates.
More infos on main post.

Argony

New version works great. Thanks again for a great release! :good:

TheRealGreenVirus

Oct 20, 2010
Hey guys, I was always getting my pictures from win8tiles.com but that site seems to be down, do you guys know another place?

Red_Kop

May 18, 2011
Thanks for this great app.

It works perfect apart from when I link a tile to a folder.

If I link a tile to a folder, I simply get taken into Desktop mode, but nothing else happens.

Any idea why?

Mjuksel

Jan 2, 2011
www.mjxl.net
Thanks for this great app.

It works perfect apart from when I link a tile to a folder.

If I link a tile to a folder, I simply get taken into Desktop mode, but nothing else happens.

Any idea why?

Depends on how you have made the tile.

The program path should lead to Windows folder to explorer.exe

The argument should be the folder, I guess.

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
Hey guys, I was always getting my pictures from win8tiles.com but that site seems to be down, do you guys know another place?
So far i know these place where to get picture to use as tile:
http://www.tile8.com/ (Work in progress, will support donations, rating, and maybe it will be integrated on OblyTile, so to search picture by using OblyTile itself)
http://dakirby309.deviantart.com/ (Thanks for the big packs of tiles and OblyTIle icon :victory:)
http://win8tiles.com/
http://walloftiles.net/
http://startscreentiles.com/
Deviantart.com - Tile category
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gamingtiles
http://www.reddit.com/r/tileicons (work in progress)

If someone knows more websites feel free to share with us! :good:

That's strange, it works fine here, even with folder that contains unicode characters on the name folder (or folder path)

Will investigate on this.
Thanks you for your for your feedback!

Argony

Last edited:

Specter597

Jan 25, 2012
Washington DC
Because...

Why are you using oblytile to create tiles for metro apps?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, I know I can pin a website to the start menu from IE Metro ... but the Tiles created by Windows look like poop.
I can't figure a way of modifying a shortcut created by IE so I was trying to use OblyTile as a crutch to make Windows look better.
(Because, OblyTile is awesome - and I want Windows to look better.)

FTMDan

Jul 13, 2012
Is there any way of stopping it so that when I search for a program that I have applied a custom tile to, it has a blue background then the tile on top of it, so it looks like the tiles have a blue border.

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
Is there any way of stopping it so that when I search for a program that I have applied a custom tile to, it has a blue background then the tile on top of it, so it looks like the tiles have a blue border.

Hello,

I suggest to use pictures with transparent background as Small Tile image, so to have a better result.

Example of small tile with transparent background:
Hqjvn0j.jpg

Example of small tile without transparent background:
T6wE3cN.jpg

Hope this helps

Argony

Aldokazer

Oct 2, 2012
Hey. I like this program a lot and with the help of this, metro start screen looks wayy better than before.

One thing, in the icon created by the installer of a program, there us an option to uninstall it directly by just right-clicking it. Can you add that to oblytile? That would give it more of a realistic feel and make it better.

Thanks anyways :) :D

Sent from my GT-I9001 using xda app-developers app

Scur827

Jul 17, 2011
Searching through this thread, I see that large tiles aren't yet working. Yet that is where I have to place my pics. When I put anything in the Tile Small Image it is a waste of time. It only shows the large image, and it crops the edges. So I have to make my image 120x120 then add 60 pixels to either side so it shows the original 120x120 image I wanted. If I only make it 120x120, it will stretch the image to 240x120, then crop the edges to 120x120. Is that how it's working for everyone else?

Also, the tile settings are an awesome touch, well done.

Last edited:

Aldokazer

Oct 2, 2012
Searching through this thread, I see that large tiles aren't yet working. Yet that is where I have to place my pics. When I put anything in the Tile Small Image it is a waste of time. It only shows the large image, and it crops the edges. So I have to make my image 120x120 then add 60 pixels to either side so it shows the original 120x120 image I wanted. If I only make it 120x120, it will stretch the image to 240x120, then crop the edges to 120x120. Is that how it's working for everyone else?

Also, the tile settings are an awesome touch, well done.

Couldn't get you, but the small image is for the list which comes out when you search any program.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using xda app-developers app

Scur827

Jul 17, 2011
I see.

What I meant was that if I put a 240x120 pic in the large entry, it will only show the center 120x120 section of it. And if I put a 120x120 pic in the large entry, it will first stretch the pic out to 240x120 first, then show the center 120x120 section of the stretched pic.

Galaxy Note 2 > Rooted Stock ROM > Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This program is meant to create tiles to the Windows 8/8.1 start screen.

I created it in vb.net using SharpDevelop, it works for all programs/folder/files/websites.

The program will store the image files inside the folder "C:\Program Files\OblyTile" and create the Shortcut .LNK file inside the StartMenu folder.

If you want to remove a Tile, right click it on the start screen/menu and select "Remove From Start" or select a tile on the OblyTile Created Tile list and press the recycle bin button located on bottom right of OblyTile.

OblyTile has support for command line, you can check the list of available commands by running OblyTile with the "/?" as argument.

To remove OblyTile and revert to default windows settings you have to run OblyTile as administrator and click the Remove button located in the settings menu [Click the Wrench icon on top of OblyTile to access the settings menu]

Note: Do not expect a Windows 10 version anytime soon. Why?

Old Versions:
    OblyTile v0.5 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.7/0.7.1 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.2 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.6 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.8 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.1 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.5 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.7 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.8 (ChangeLog)

Latest Version:
    OblyTile v0.9.9

ChangeLog:
    • [Win 8.1] Added ability to pin the Tiles at different Sizes when created/edited. [Via UI or Command Line Arguments]
    • [Win 8.1] OblyTile will now export and import tiles in correct order and size. [No groups]
    • Added "Desktop" in the QuickList.
    • New tiles will be shown with proper name and icon on Classic Shell. [32px icon only]
    • Enhanced the OblyTile "Remove" function. [You can find it in the Settings menu]
    • Tile exporter will create a new backup folder just in case you want to keep old backups.
    • Possible fix for the Browser/Home keyboard button not opening the correct web browser.
    • Possible fix for the loop issue that causes OblyTile to open itself multiple times. (Thanks to Steel Froggy)
    • Fixed issue with the tile preview showing double borders.
    • Fixed issue with the Windows Store Apps list not being able to create desktop/taskbar shortcuts for certain apps.
    • Fixed other minor stuffs.
    • Small changes to the UI. [Dpi, Transitions, Context Menu]
    Known Issues:
    • Make a backup of your tiles before upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, you might lose your custom tiles during the process of upgrade. (Thanks to LLJKRevol)
    • Tiles which contain accented letters in the tile name can be edited only by OblyTile v0.9.8 and above.
    • In order to launch the Immersive mode of your web browser by using a tile made with OblyTile, be sure to close the desktop version of it.
    • If the Browser/Home button doesn't work properly, open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • If the tiles are not showed properly (a normal icon is showed) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • If the tiles are visible only on the "App" side of the start screen (Windows 8.1) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • Changing web browser will show multiple entry of Internet Explorer, Use "Set Default Programs" in Control Panel to change your default web browser and then press the Rebuild Cache button on OblyTile.
    • If "Rebuild cache" does not work, try >> this <<
    • In case of the error Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.ValidateKeyName or similar, try >> this <<
    • If the tile will not react when you click it (the program or file will not be opened) follow those steps VBScript - Fix
    • OblyTile does not work on some WinPE/WimBoot installations
    Tested on:
    Windows 8.1 Professional Build 9600 - 32/64 Bit
    Windows 8.1 Core Build 9600 - 64 Bit (Thanks to Timo)
    Windows 8 Professional Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
    Windows 8 Enterprise Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
    Microsoft Surface RT 32GB /w Jailbreak (Thanks to netham45)

Use this program at your own risk.

md5 Hash:
    f54db82cdf8b1cf13430db43b743ad22

Download from:

Firedrive:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

OneDrive:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

Mega:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

Dropbox:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

App Images:
    View attachment 2877100 View attachment 2362073 View attachment 1837929 View attachment 1505786 View attachment 1404991 View attachment 1358506
    Current State of OblyTile on Windows 10

Hey all,

To start; I'd like to thank all of you over the past 3 years for the support you've given me and the appreciation towards the work I've done. I really can't tell you how much it means and the confidence it has given me to explore what I do and continue improving.

I am trying my best to find a way for OblyTile to work on Windows 10, however I have stumbled in to some compatibility issues and so far I haven't figured out a way around these and just wanted to make you all aware that it may not be possible for OblyTile to work on Windows 10.

I'll keep trying.

With that being said, any progression I make will be updated right here. Along with any news or other possible avenues for me to explore. But don't expect anything in the immediate future as MS have changed the OS from their first builds and these issues aren't small as what was possible, is no longer.

Thank you once again,
    Argony.
    Tile Set

Here is the set of tiles i have been creating.

This is what i call my over sized plain high contrast pack. +-70 Icons

Windows Tile Set

I am starting to work on a High Resolution Realism set. If you are going to use the set and you have some specific programs you wish to have done please just pm me.

Please Thank me if you like them.
    Hi, I've posted some screenshot of the evolution of my start page using OblyTile HERE, feel free to have a look if you'd like :)

Also, I've done a model for GIMP for creating tiles (including the right dimension of the image and the correct font and size of it) and a ZIP archives with the tiles i've created.

Some of them comes from a FANTASTIC metro UI tiles set that Devianart user ~dAKirby309 created. You can find the whole set HERE, check it out! The other ones are made by images of the games and the applications I own, searching 'em on Google Images.

Hope this helps the community! :)
    Great app! Makes Windows 8 worth while. One small suggestion though, It would be nice if it made a 30x30 image automatically from the 120x120 image (or just have it as an option).

New version released! (v0.8.8)

The function you request is included on this new version.

Infos and Download on main page