Samsung Galaxy S Blaze Q T699 ... The next great QWERTY slider phone?

Search This thread

shinkinrui

Oct 8, 2009
EDIT: NEW NAME!

This device is now called the Galaxy S Relay 4G. See post #10

Just wanted to get a little discussion going for this device. It has potential to be the next(last?) great QWERTY slider phone. I couldn't find a forum for new phones, so my apologies if this is the wrong place.

Anyway, the talk right now is that this device is going to drop August 15th on T-Mobile USA. Rumored specs include:

~ 720p screen (more likely 800 x 480- see post #8 on this thread)
~ S3 or S4 dual core 1.5ghz processor
~ 1 GB RAM
~ 16 GB internal phone storage
~ Android 4.0
~ 5 megapixel camera

I'm praying the SOC really is S4, with that these stats could put it extremely high-end for a QWERTY slider phone.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: It's a 5-row keyboard.

Screen-Shot-2012-08-08-at-8.41.04-PMwtmk.jpg

What do you guys think? Anyone out there who, like me, salivate over the possibility of a true high-end QWERTY slider device?

Here's a link to the latest news article on it:
http://www.tmonews.com/2012/08/samsung-galaxy-s-blaze-q-press-shot-hints-at-release-date/

Last edited:
Reactions: MrEzzzkiel

mikef

Retired Senior Moderator
I might be interested if it has a removable battery and SD slot. That is making me lean away from HTC when my contract is up in a year unless they change from the One series designs. I haven't had a slider in a while, I have to feel it in my hand and see if the slide action is tight or loose and try to gauge how it might feel a year or two later.

gagdude

Jun 10, 2012
Northbrook
Id love this phone. Always wanted a Captivate Glide but this blows its Tegra 2 out of the water.
Only problem is, with QWERTY sliders going out of the market, there is less and less development and support from the manufacturers.
For normal consumers, this isn't a problem. It has ICS (Captivate Glide will get ICS) but really, probably not many ROMs, Samsung will stop updates fairly quick, etc.

Sent from my MB508 using xda premium

shinkinrui

Oct 8, 2009
I'd be cool with 5 megapixels if the other rumored specs are right... Now that I think about it, will this be the first QWERTY phone with a 720p screen?

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app

jersam515

Aug 14, 2012
Thia phone would be cool especially if running bochs or ubuntu with the keyboard.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

shinkinrui

Oct 8, 2009
Well, I did a little calculation based on the dimensions of the phone listed in the FCC documentation (125mm x 65mm) as compared to the screen-to-bezel ratio in the press shot. Based on my calculation, the screen size is 4 inches. This pretty much debunks the screen being 1280 x 720 unless Samsung introduces a new kind of screen- the smallest 720p screen in a previous Samsung phone is the Galaxy Nexus at 4.65 inches. And ALL previous Samsung phones that had either a 4 or 4.3 inch screen were 800 x 480. I don't see Samsung debuting a new kind of screen for this phone :(

Damn. That's a big blow for me. I was really hoping for a better screen. And I gotta say, if there's no 720p screen, I bet the processor is S3 as well. Sadly, even with these specs this phone will be the best QWERTY slider on T-Mobile, so I'll probably still get it. But damn, I really had my hopes up for higher specs there for a minute :(

I suppose it's possible I made a mistake or am wrong about whether there would be a 4-inch 720p screen(there's still a user agent screenshot out there showing the T699's screen is 1280 x 720), but I doubt it. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

alpha-niner64

Mar 7, 2011
If this phone had the Wolfson DAC: I would've been interested. However I've yet to see a Snapdragon phone isn't a SoC so I'm not holding my breath there.

shinkinrui

Oct 8, 2009
Last edited:
Reactions: nascentt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: NEW NAME!

This device is now called the Galaxy S Relay 4G. See post #10

Just wanted to get a little discussion going for this device. It has potential to be the next(last?) great QWERTY slider phone. I couldn't find a forum for new phones, so my apologies if this is the wrong place.

Anyway, the talk right now is that this device is going to drop August 15th on T-Mobile USA. Rumored specs include:

~ 720p screen (more likely 800 x 480- see post #8 on this thread)
    ~ S3 or S4 dual core 1.5ghz processor
    ~ 1 GB RAM
    ~ 16 GB internal phone storage
    ~ Android 4.0
    ~ 5 megapixel camera

I'm praying the SOC really is S4, with that these stats could put it extremely high-end for a QWERTY slider phone.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: It's a 5-row keyboard.

Screen-Shot-2012-08-08-at-8.41.04-PMwtmk.jpg

What do you guys think? Anyone out there who, like me, salivate over the possibility of a true high-end QWERTY slider device?

Here's a link to the latest news article on it:
    http://www.tmonews.com/2012/08/samsung-galaxy-s-blaze-q-press-shot-hints-at-release-date/
    No word on why the original release date was missed, but the name of the device has now "changed" to Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G. Kind of a lame name, but I'm still holding out hope for a decently-spec'd handset.

Screen-Shot-2012-08-16-at-4.41.57-PM.png

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/08/new-training-docs-correctly-identify-t-mobiles-newest-qwerty-device/

Also no word on a new release date yet, but it can't be more than a few weeks away ...
    Thanks to some images found in the Q&A section of Samsung's website, we have confirmation that there's a FFC, the rear camera has a flash, and there's an LED notification light(not always a given with Samsung)!

... Okay, I know it's not much, but it's something, right? Damn it this phone needs some real confirmed specs already :(

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/08/a-full-360-degree-view-of-the-galaxy-s-relay-4g-emerges/