[Q] Best route for wifi tether

Search This thread

revaew

May 9, 2011
So I have Verizon and I still have the unlimited data plan. Not wanting to lose my unlimited data, I haven't upgraded my phone since I got it and I am still using my HTC Thunderbolt. Now Ithat phone is on its way out and I need to upgrade, but I need to upgrade to a phone that still allows me to tether via wifi and what not. So that's my question. What's the best route to go to be able to tether via wifi with the Moto X? ITethering via usb isn't really viable for me and my current situation, so I have to be able toconnect via wifi. I have read that kit kat apparently disables wifi tethering unless you are rooted. How true is this? How easy is it to root and get the ability to tether via wifi back? Would not upgrading to 4.4 be better?

Thanks

D

Darth

I wouldn't buy a Verizon regular phone. Can't unlock it...and root on 4.4.2 may not be possible. Get dev edition or another carrier phone with compatible bands. Not at&t either.

But that's just my opinion.

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...

revaew

May 9, 2011
So if I got the dev edition, I could unlock/root it and get wifi tether back? And I was only seriously considering switching phones because there were deals that would have gotten me an apparently "regular Verizon phone" for cheap. So that might influence my decision and bit. I also am not as concerned with unlocking /flashing roms etc, as I am with wifi tether. My number one priority is obtaining wifi tether

Last edited:
D

Darth

I'm not sure about tethering specifically....never used it. Just wanted to give you a heads up about the bootloader. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

The Verizon and at&t phones should be cheap. Lol

revaew

May 9, 2011
It might hinder my decision and bit but, like I said, ability to wifi tether is my number one priority. Rooting would be nice and custom roms would be nice as well. But I don't have regular access enough to be able to flash a lot of roms and stuff. That's why they aren't really a priority necessarily.

D

Darth

Flashing roms is not hugely popular on the Moto x. Stock with xposed and gravity box is all many use. Gravity box can give you tonnes of custom rom like features.

revaew

May 9, 2011
Does gravity box require unlocking the bootloader? What about xposed? I'll have to look into whether those are viable options for wifi tether as well.

D

Darth

Xposed requires root.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

As I hinted tho...wait for people that know to comment on tethering....or Google it or search here. I don't know anything about tethering. Could be fine or not...no clue. ;)

gokart2

Sep 21, 2011
Detroit
Moto Z2 Force
Google Pixel 6
Xposed requires root.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

As I hinted tho...wait for people that know to comment on tethering....or Google it or search here. I don't know anything about tethering. Could be fine or not...no clue. ;)

Unless u pay for tethering through VZW, you must have root. There is a nice xposed module that works with VZW that allows both USB and WiFi tether. Then there is Android WiFi Tether https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ which only does WiFi tethering and takes a tad bit to set up, not very hard. Xposed does USB tether, but IMO takes a little longer to activate since you have to have another module for quick settings toggle to activate, or go into settings, etc... Android WiFi tether has a widget you can tap easily on the home screen, and has the ability to see upload/download speeds (not sure they are exact, but are close). That's all I have.......

cvhovey

Jan 1, 2010
For the win (as I plan do with my Dev Edition newly rec'd):
Buy a Dev Edition (sale price @ Motorola ends today I think) so you can easily root and retain root when update to 4.2.2; update phone on VZW online account; unlock bootloader; allow OTA to install while on stock recovery, install TWRP for root; then Xposed, GravityBox, and tether module for Xposed:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2601859

revaew

May 9, 2011
Can you still root and do these steps/tasks even if you didn't have the dev edition?

D

Darth

Its only the Verizon regular model and at&t regular models that can't have boot loader unlocked.

And on 4.4.2 those may never be rootable.

The dev edition keeps warranty if you unlock the bootloader.....all other phones lose warranty if you unlock their boot loaders.

revaew

May 9, 2011
Its only the Verizon regular model and at&t regular models that can't have boot loader unlocked.

And on 4.4.2 those may never be rootable.

The dev edition keeps warranty if you unlock the bootloader.....all other phones lose warranty if you unlock their boot loaders.

I realize all of this. Rooting the phone doesn't mean that the bootloader was unlocked. Other phones I have owned have had root access without having the bootloader unlocked. So what I'm asking is if I had the Verizon regular phone, could I still achieve the wifi tether mentioned in the other posts?

D

Darth

I realize all of this. Rooting the phone doesn't mean that the bootloader was unlocked. Other phones I have owned have had root access without having the bootloader unlocked. So what I'm asking is if I had the Verizon regular phone, could I still achieve the wifi tether mentioned in the other posts?

You didn't read my previous post well.....the Verizon regular version on the newest 4.4.2 may not have root available. And if it does ...read how they did it on previous versions. Its in the dev section....and not simple. ;)

But as of today....rooting 4.4.2 isn't possible without unlocked bootloader.

revaew

May 9, 2011
Last I knew, at the Verizon store I was told that it the motor x didn't come with kit kat. That's where the confusion is from. I didn't realize that apparently it has 4.4 instead.

D

Darth

Last I knew, at the Verizon store I was told that it the motor x didn't come with kit kat. That's where the confusion is from. I didn't realize that apparently it has 4.4 instead.

You can root 4.2.2 and 4.4.....with the complicated locked bootloader method. But then you can't upgrade to 4.4.2....maybe ever...without losing root.

Tho...some say root survived their upgrade to 4.4.2.....but time will tell if it is true....or reliable.

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
So I have Verizon and I still have the unlimited data plan. Not wanting to lose my unlimited data, I haven't upgraded my phone since I got it and I am still using my HTC Thunderbolt.
See my posts:

[VZW] How to Get a Subsidized Phone on Verizon and Not Lose Unlimited Data

[DEAL] How to Get a FREE Verizon Moto X Dev Ed if You Have an Upgrade Available

The Best Buy sales change tomorrow and the sale on the Moto X ends today so act quickly.

What's the best route to go to be able to tether via wifi with the Moto X?
Verizon Dev Ed Moto X unlocked and rooted with xposed module installed.