[MOD] Stock camera quality MOD 5/24/14

Search This thread

PatF

Apr 27, 2009
Drawing inspiration from what @kevinrocksman was doing over here I decided to have a go at modding our stock camera to increase the bitrate as well as increasing it in third party apps as well.

5/24/14 Update
Fixed a bug with the slow motion recording, it's now triple the stock bitrate. That should help with the quality a lot.
Increased picture quality to 100%
More tweaks to the media_profiles.xml, added 4kuhd but it's still not showing up in 3rd party apps (help?)
Switched to a flashable package (thanks @rompnit !)

Features
720p@18mbps
1080p@50mbps
4k@85mbps(Samsung Camera only for now)
Audio@256kbps for all modes
Always full quality for photos
4k time limit now at 7 minutes​

1. Download zip file
2. BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL FILES and remove SamsungCamera.odex from /system/app if present
3. Flash the provided zip
5. Reboot

DOWNLOAD

Revert to stock

Last edited:

PatF

Apr 27, 2009
A more detailed crisper looking image. In my honest opinion the video is a bit mushy and blocky, this helps with that. Also, if you're editing this with serious video software on a pc it gives you a lot more latitude when color correcting and working with shadows/highlights.

Now if I could only fix the auto-correct lol. Sorry about all of the edits.

Last edited:

VfBStuttgart27

Dec 16, 2012
Munich
Yeah, I believe so. You could always try it though. As long as you backup your apk and odex files first you can always go back. :)

I tried it on odexed stock rom (rooted) - It's working, but only if you delete the .odex file (SamsungCamera3.odex):)

Could you add languages support - because it seems to be just english. And maybe 60fps support?

PatF

Apr 27, 2009
I tried it on odexed stock rom (rooted) - It's working, but only if you delete the .odex file (SamsungCamera3.odex):)

Could you add languages support - because it seems to be just english. And maybe 60fps support?

I haven't changed any of the language files, , I'm not really sure what to do about that. Sorry. Is there any way you can send your SamsungCamera3 odex and apk? I'm trying to make some stock flashables.

kevinrocksman

Oct 18, 2009
I found length and upped it to just hit the 4GB limit at the new bitrate (7min), is there any way to make it span so it can record longer?

Nope not that I know of. If someone was really skilled they could make it automatically make it cut the 4gb file and start with another.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Drawing inspiration from what @kevinrocksman was doing over here I decided to have a go at modding our stock camera to increase the bitrate as well as increasing it in third party apps as well.

5/24/14 Update
    Fixed a bug with the slow motion recording, it's now triple the stock bitrate. That should help with the quality a lot.
    Increased picture quality to 100%
    More tweaks to the media_profiles.xml, added 4kuhd but it's still not showing up in 3rd party apps (help?)
    Switched to a flashable package (thanks @rompnit !)

Features
    720p@18mbps
    1080p@50mbps
    4k@85mbps(Samsung Camera only for now)
    Audio@256kbps for all modes
    Always full quality for photos
    4k time limit now at 7 minutes​

1. Download zip file
    2. BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL FILES and remove SamsungCamera.odex from /system/app if present
    3. Flash the provided zip
    5. Reboot

DOWNLOAD

Revert to stock
    If anyone wants to create a flashable zip go ahead, I couldn't figure out how to write to /etc

Here's a flashable zip for ya :good:
    I'm working on it as I type this.
    I see you found the bitrate areas, length is another option to look for.
    Yeah, I believe so. You could always try it though. As long as you backup your apk and odex files first you can always go back. :)