What will you do when Google drops the N10?

What will do with your N10?

• Keep it

Votes: 46 80.7%
  • Give it so someone, as I have other 10" tablets

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Switch to Sony Xperia Tablet Z/Z2

• Switch to Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1/12.0

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Switch to Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Switch to LG G Pad 10.1

• Switch to Microsoft Surface (RT or Pro)

• Switch to iPad (either model)

• Switch to a smaller display size entirely

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Other (please comment below)

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

PVL_93_RU

Apr 20, 2012
Hi everyone. As you know, Android 4.4.4 has just came out, and it's already available on the developers.google.com, and with I/O taking place in just 5 days - the excitement for the future of Android is beyond imagination.

But, this tablet came out 1.5 years ago, and seeing how many updates were already released for N10 starting from 4.2 up 'till 4.4.4 - I'm concerned about one thing: is this the last official update this device will receive? But even if we'll get 4.5/5.0, the support of this tablet will end sooner or later, as the developer community will fade away one day.

So, when the dark hour comes - what will YOU do with your Nexus 10?

I'm having the not-so-great times with mine as the perfomance is slightly disappointing, especially the lack of RAM (only 1GB) and the lack of 3G/LTE capabilities (and having to tether it to my phone isn't always reliable, due to coverage and the battery drain coming from the Hotspot being turned on most of the time, as well as having two devices slowly eating away my data cap (with both devices having autosync on and the N10 being my main connectivity device when I'm not at home, mainly at university),

So, personally, I'm looking for alternatives... and there's quite honestly not so many of them out there :/

But enough about me, what's your call on this matter?

Reactions: Alek7

sfobrien

Apr 10, 2011
Indiana
Still a great Tablet in my opinion. I'm planning on keeping it for sometime to come and will always run latest available ROM.

robrob777

Mar 31, 2010
Ill keep it until it dies. then if there is no new N10, I'll switch to something with HDMI out, probably the Surface 3 RT when it comes out.

XxLordxX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
Hi,

I'll be keeping it, sure it'll take longer to arrive unnoficial updates, but as long as I receive it I'll be glad. It's still a pretty good device, I guess I'd change it only in 2 more years, and it'll probably be either a new Nexus or a Sony tablet.

~Lord

3DSammy

May 5, 2011
Toronto
My target from when I bought the N10 was to keep it for three years (clock started Mar 2013). I'm hoping my next purchase would have specs such as 64bit processor, 4GB memory, screen size and resolution no less than the N10. I definitely expect a screen color/Gama control app. As media consumption is my primary usage the best color reproduction is essential. The N10 can already handle the highest bit rate video in my collection I'd expect no less but that is not a stretch. I'd also prefer a Qualcomm processor but I'm flexible on that score.

The N10 has been a pleasant surprise in how much I use it. I couldn't have predicted the amount of my media consumption has moved from my PC to the N10. It's been a real eye opener.

Of the current crop of tablets the only one to catch my eye is Samsung's Tab S 10.5, except of course for Knox's ability to detect rooting and the resulting voiding the warranty. That's why both my phone and tablet are Nexus devices. Consumers need to be empowered as we are purchasing not renting despite what some companies think. Maybe the roomered Google's Silver program can provide that option. Knowing me I'll not be able resist rooting after the hardware checks out despite the risk.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

Hurricane Andrew

May 25, 2009
Magnolia, DE
Looks like we may have been officially/unofficially retired. No mention of the Nexus 10 in the Android L preview announcement. Looks like it's 4.4.4, which is still fine by me :)

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011
I'm still happy with mine. An Xperia Tablet Z2 with Nexus branding would get me to upgrade. Nothing else I have seen looks more interesting than my Nexus 10.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

roloracer

Jul 8, 2008
Kissimmee
I'll keep mine until it dies or I'll give to my son if something really good comes out that I really want

RoloRacer on DynamiKat Note3

frankws

Aug 14, 2011
Looks like we may have been officially/unofficially retired. No mention of the Nexus 10 in the Android L preview announcement. Looks like it's 4.4.4, which is still fine by me :)

When the nexus 10 is no longer listed in the Google Play store then I'll believe it will not be updated with a Nexus 2.
When a tablet is no going to be produced it gets removed from the store.
The fact that it is still there leads me to believe something is still up with it.
But I'll keep mine.

Fidelator

Jul 25, 2011
I'm not changing my N10 until Nvidia comes out with a quad core Denver CPU, a Maxwell GPU and at least 4gb of RAM, so most likely at some point in the next year.

Leoisright

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2010
MN
Looks like we should be getting the next upgrade. It will extend the life for another year easy. And then count on many devs out there that will do their best to bring future releases. Remember the hp touchpad? It went from gb and now I think is running kk.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium HD app

michaelearth

May 27, 2010
South Dakota
I'll keep it for sure. A tablet is not something I'm willing to upgrade as often as my phone.

With a little tweaking this tablet performs really well (custom ROM and kernel, over clocking CPU and GPU). From where I stand, the only thing holding the N10 back somewhat is its 2GB of ram. If it had shipped with 3GB its performance and multitasking would improve tenfold. Although ram management was drastically improved with kit Kat and I can't wait to see what android L does performance wise.

Non the less, I still enjoy it very much!

Last edited:

scooterboy5

Dec 4, 2012
I love my N10 and will keep it long after it's "retired". It does everything I want it to do. Once it's retired, it will still do everything I want it to do.

I browse, email, and read books on it - that's basically it. I don't care about the latest games or apps.

I know I'm not the typical user though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I will keep it and install a custom ROM - long life to AOSP :D
    Or maybe will buy Xiaomi MiPad :cowboy:

I think we will receive two major updates, and that will be the same for Nexus 4.
    Hi everyone. As you know, Android 4.4.4 has just came out, and it's already available on the developers.google.com, and with I/O taking place in just 5 days - the excitement for the future of Android is beyond imagination.

But, this tablet came out 1.5 years ago, and seeing how many updates were already released for N10 starting from 4.2 up 'till 4.4.4 - I'm concerned about one thing: is this the last official update this device will receive? But even if we'll get 4.5/5.0, the support of this tablet will end sooner or later, as the developer community will fade away one day.

So, when the dark hour comes - what will YOU do with your Nexus 10?

I'm having the not-so-great times with mine as the perfomance is slightly disappointing, especially the lack of RAM (only 1GB) and the lack of 3G/LTE capabilities (and having to tether it to my phone isn't always reliable, due to coverage and the battery drain coming from the Hotspot being turned on most of the time, as well as having two devices slowly eating away my data cap (with both devices having autosync on and the N10 being my main connectivity device when I'm not at home, mainly at university),

So, personally, I'm looking for alternatives... and there's quite honestly not so many of them out there :/

But enough about me, what's your call on this matter?
    The Nexus 10 have 2gb ram and not 1?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app