Separate subforum for Webtop development?

Search This thread

electronaut

Feb 28, 2011
There are quite a few threads both in this subforum and in the Atrix general forum by those of us interested in the Linux Webtop environment. It strikes me that, while this is running on top of an Android phone, working with the Webtop environment is somewhat different from normal Android development.

I sent a private message to Mr. Clown, the moderator of this forum, to ask if a separate subforum for Webtop development could be created. He said he'd consider it, but needed to hear more requests.

Do you think this is a good idea?

It might be nice for those of us working on such things as getting gcc to work in the Webtop Linux, getting xterms up, getting the Webtop to display on a remote X client, getting remote machines to show up in rdesktop running on the webtop, getting X windows applications to run on the webtop, getting Chrome to run on the webtop, etc. etc. etc....if we could have a separate forum for this unique capability of the Atrix.

Thoughts? PMs to Mr. Clown to help suggest it?

kjbreil

Sep 22, 2006
I second this, webtop is just getting opened up and there is going to be a lot more threads about it

cnyarx

Dec 14, 2010
I think this is a really great idea, and use qemu + wine may launch some windows apps.
But this needs root of webtop, and I don't think moto will open root purview for anyone. They think the handset needs better security. It's hard to say if the development on webtop is doable or not.

shawnbuck

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 23, 2011
NY
I think this is a really great idea, and use qemu + wine may launch some windows apps.
But this needs root of webtop, and I don't think moto will open root purview for anyone. They think the handset needs better security. It's hard to say if the development on webtop is doable or not.

Regular root counts for the webtop as well.

sheek360

Apr 23, 2010
It's a great idea n probably the best way to keep things from getting cluttered

Mr. Clown

Senior Moderator / RC-RT Committee - Fear a Clown
Staff member
Nov 29, 2008
Lake Ridge, Virginia
Thanks, I will monitor this and if we have a huge amount of requests we can create this. I think it can take a month or 2 to see the phone behaviour's with the public and how development on xda goes. I'll keep this thread here.

Cheers,

xdraconis

Feb 18, 2009
+1 for separate.

Not only does that make the place a little cleaner, it will make searching for a particular procedure that much easier when you select "webtop" or "android" development to search.

alphamancer

Apr 7, 2010
Albany, NY
+1 to webtop dev subforum.

I think that this may deserve a forum of it's own potentially since it will be on all high end moto devices, but we'll see how far dev'ing goes for it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are quite a few threads both in this subforum and in the Atrix general forum by those of us interested in the Linux Webtop environment. It strikes me that, while this is running on top of an Android phone, working with the Webtop environment is somewhat different from normal Android development.

I sent a private message to Mr. Clown, the moderator of this forum, to ask if a separate subforum for Webtop development could be created. He said he'd consider it, but needed to hear more requests.

Do you think this is a good idea?

It might be nice for those of us working on such things as getting gcc to work in the Webtop Linux, getting xterms up, getting the Webtop to display on a remote X client, getting remote machines to show up in rdesktop running on the webtop, getting X windows applications to run on the webtop, getting Chrome to run on the webtop, etc. etc. etc....if we could have a separate forum for this unique capability of the Atrix.

Thoughts? PMs to Mr. Clown to help suggest it?
    Dedicated Webtop Development Forum Available

I know it's not xda but I finally have the webtop development forum up on my site. It's broken down into device specific sections as well as a general webtop development section. Click on my sig banner to go to the site.