Stuck at "Data.img" thru odin. Possible EMMC brick fix! Thanks to Jaymoon pg.#44

Search This thread

iniz94

Jan 7, 2012
Chicago
I'm stuck at Data.img as well
By the looks of the posts on this thread, has anyone successfully fixed it yet?

Edit: Read through all 17 pages and praying that there is a fix. I wish I had insurance for my phone :/

Last edited:

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
I have tried re-formatting the device and restoring the EL29.tar
I used a pit from here

http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=721784&d=1316200711

Epic_4g_Touch_Pit

Still stuck at boot loop.

If I try and flash FB17 get stuck at data.img, then the firmware update failed notice/boot.

So then I reflash EL29 just cause it finishes, can't boot. Same

I can flash all sorts of kernals in odin, but never get a recovery with UP and PWER. Only a loading bar...

please help. :(

I can wipe this data partition problem out :mad:
The current issue appears that the /data partition is hoarked and nothing (CWM, ODIN, ODIN One-Click) can write to it, not even ODIN with explicit repartition, which is surprising. Every other partition is fine, just the /data. However without /data you phone cannot boot into Android.

---------- Post added at 07:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

I've tried a 1/2 dozen different one click odin's. Someone here tried a special made Odin for this issue and it didn't work. Fortunately it's still being researched. Time will tell. I have my fingers crossed.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

sfhub, is there a particular rom you know will work? I can try and flash it tonight and get into it's recovery and see what I can get you.

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

sfhub, is there a particular rom you know will work? I can try and flash it tonight and get into it's recovery and see what I can get you. (meant this to be a reply, not edit)
I don't think any "ROMs" will work because they all require /data to boot up. Every other partition besides /data seems to be fine, so you can flash and boot up into custom recovery. That is where we might be able to do some diagnosis from.

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 AM ----------

Me three. Omg why is this happening. :(

has anyone tried to restore el29 tar to fix it?
Just out of curiosity, did you install CWM Touch and try to do a restore? (I'm not pointing fingers, just trying to gather data)

---------- Post added at 07:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

http://forums.androidcentral.com/epic-4g-rooting-roms-hacks/60768-how-factory-restore-fix-bricked-phone.html

1/2 way down is:

5b. IF YOUR PHONE IS BRICKED (like mine was) the field for data needs to use a different file, use the one found here: RapidShare AG, Cham, Switzerland

Any chance there is something in what i assume is a linked file that may help.

Don't run off and use these files, i'm more asking the brains here if this person may be on to anything.

Looks like it's for the international version.
I tried looking on that thread but didn't see the links they were referring to. The RapidShare text seemed like it should be a link but was just text.

---------- Post added at 07:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

I know my comment isn't any help but gd, something in those fb leaks is royally f'ing up phones lately!
Like glass330 said, the pattern appears to be CWM Touch rather than the ICS release. People just happened to use CWM Touch early on with the FB09 thread.

Reactions: caspersfi

iniz94

Jan 7, 2012
Chicago
In response to sfhub: I just recently got this error but I tried restoring from CWM Touch and this happened

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
So did everyone who has this issue with /data, at some point, use CWM Touch to do some operation, restore or format?

Reactions: dadoc04

caspersfi

Apr 12, 2011
West Virginia
So did everyone who has this issue with /data, at some point, use CWM Touch to do some operation, restore or format?

I did. The touch recovery link is what was givin in the op of the FBO9 thread as a temporary way to restore your backup.

Booted into stock recovery
Flashed touch recovery
Full wipe with touch recovery
Restored backup with touch recovery
Stuck at Samsung logo

Then used odin as a way to get out and stuck at data.img.

Last edited:

MeWarning

Sep 21, 2011
Waukesha, WI

dgn_sandibalz

May 11, 2011
This is brutal. Last week my handset did a factory restore when I turned it on. It kept doing that every couple hours. Got replacement. Now this.

Got to smug flashing roms like I know what I'm doing.

Thanks to all the help in this three. Really, much respect for the effort you guys put in on your own time.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

arehm

Apr 17, 2011
Touch here as well.....

adb is essentially a shell to the linux os on the phone, correct? could formatting/mounting/dpart or whatever in adb be a possible cure? go even lower level than odin.

dgn_sandibalz

May 11, 2011
So are you fully working again? Or just reset to a 0 count?

Just 0 count. Was important because this is second phone in a week. Will require some begging on my part.

I am still trying today to get it working. I'm lucky to have a backup phone. If I get it working I will post what I did.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pbsst7

glass330

Sep 28, 2011
Overland Park, KS
It was definitely touch recovery....

Touch recovery is the problem

funny enough - if i boot into recovery using rouge 1.1.4 I can load the touch recovery zip and it immediately shows me touch recovery. device doesnt even restart.

I can mount everything but /data & /emmc from rogue1.1.4 and touch recovery at this point.

I wish there was something i could do from touch recovery to correct all this junk it caused, then never EVER use it again .

stonesaber

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere in Wisconsin
Touch recovery is the problem

funny enough - if i boot into recovery using rouge 1.1.4 I can load the touch recovery zip and it immediately shows me touch recovery. device doesnt even restart.

I can mount everything but /data & /emmc from rogue1.1.4 and touch recovery at this point.

I wish there was something i could do from touch recovery to correct all this junk it caused, then never EVER use it again .

It's the same for me. Luckily rogue allows you to mount internal storage so we can at least pull some of our stuff off it. I had some pics that was stored on the internal storage I was able to recover. I have no doubt someone smarter than me will figure this out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't take donations. Thanks is good enough.
    After trying to follow about 3 or 4 different threads on this issue, I finally came across the guide here for the Galaxy Note: ATTENTION! my way out of a MMC_CAP_ERASE brick! Lucky for E4GT owners with the brick issue, it works for us too! (brick issue meaning your phone powers on, and you can get in to recovery, but can't format /data or install a rom)

I just tried this today, and so far so good. First off, the guide is worth a read to understand the issue, and how they went about solving it ...but we'll save all that reading for afterwards... :silly:

Head over to the ATTENTION! my way out of a MMC_CAP_ERASE brick! thread, and scroll down to the section Update: instructions for unexperienced users

Read those instructions carefully so you have a basic understanding what is going on. You'll also need this 16GB file PIT file: Q1_20110914_16GB-patched.pit

(Updated: The OP added specific E4GT PIT files to avoid confusion, after this post was written. The Q1_20110914_16GB-patched.pit is confirmed to work, yet as time goes on, there may be a better solution discovered.)

Now open up ODIN. Make sure your phone is plugged in and in Download Mode (When phone is off, hold down Power and Vol Down until you see the warning screen). There should also be a yellow box in ODIN meaning your phone is ready.

Choose the 16GB PIT file in the PIT box. Select the EG30 Stock Rom in the PDA box. Cross your fingers, and Start the process.

If the process Passes (Green), then EG30 Stock should start booting up!

If you're cool with that, you're done. Otherwise, use e4gtauto-sfx to root and install CWM, then flash a *good* ICS rom such as Phantom's Blazer Rom. :good:

* one small note though, using the Standard PIT fix, will decrease your internal storage from 16GB, to a total of 8GB. There are other PIT files you could try to get some of that space back, or just write it off as a loss, and get a bigger MicroSD card. :p
    Step by step instructions

So after months of trying...flashing all the one clicks they showed and of odining stocks and ics I just got to flash al el26 modem and the calks format all and cyanogenmod 9?!?! and thats all?! or I have to do the galaxy note page that is shown?! confuseed :eek:

Okay.
    1) create a folder on your desktop. call it "epic4gtouch". Something...

2) Download "pits-patched-standard.zip"

3) open the zip, select both "Q1_20110914_16GB-patched.pit" and "Q1_20110914_16GB-patched.pit.txt" and drag them to the "epic4gtouch" folder you created.

4) Download ODIN.
    *The link should go to Google Docs. The two arrows on the far right are clickable. Click, then "download". (Download both .ini and .exe)
    **Place those in a new folder called "ODIN", place the ODIN folder in the "epic4gtouch" folder.

5) Download this "EG30 stock rom".
    *Place it in the "epic4gtouch" folder.

6) Open the ODIN folder, then open "odin3 v1.85"

7) On your phone, go into download mode: hold volume down + power.
    *"Warning...blah blah..." Release those buttons, then press the volume up button.

8) Connect your phone to your pc with the usb cable.

9) Back on ODIN, a box should highlight yellow. The big white box on the corner should say added.

10) Click the PIT button, navigate to the "epic4gtouch" folder on your desktop. Choose the 16GB PIT file.

11) Click the PDA button, navigate to the "epic4gtouch" folder on your desktop.
    Choose the "Stock-EG30" rom.

12) Make sure "Auto Reboot" and "Re-Partition" are the ONLY ones ticked. Also make sure the usb cable is not loose.

13) Press the big button "Start."

Once it's complete, it will boot to the EG30 Stock rom.
    Mine went into a loop on the Sprint 4G Screen animation.
    This post solved that.
    ______
    Put the Calk's_FORMAT_ALL script, the gapps package, and THIS rom CM9 alpha5 all on the external SD card.

Go back to ODIN, hit the Reset button. Click PDA select the EL26CWM kernel.
    Untick re-partition AND reboot.
    Connect phone with pc via usb cable.
    Press the big Start button.
    Once complete, unplug, take the battery out, re insert it. Volume Up + power.
    Hold till you get into recovery.
    Flash Calk's_FORMAT_ALL script.
    Flash the ROM.
    Flash the gapps package.
    Reboot.
    ____

Anyway, thats pretty much what I did to fix my phone.
    Follow all the above if the original post is too confusing. (which really... it isn't at all.) :highfive:
    So it sounds like the common factor is people used CWM Touch to restore their backup?

I am uploading an ODIN One-Click to try in case anyone still has their phone. It'll be ready in around 35 minutes.
    FYI, CWM Touch recovery has also caused some problems with BlazerROM. I don't know if this information would help figure out the issue, but i'll bring it up just in case.

A few people were on the 'Hitman' kernel (comes with Touch recovery) and tried to flash BlazerROM v3.8 (latest at the time) and got stuck at boot loops or would just hang at the Samsung logo. People were able to restore back to a nandroid of v3.7 though. Some people used the one-click ODIN'd back to EL29 stock without issue as well. If you look at the BlazerROM thread in the dev section, it starts around page 417. PhantomHacker also suggests not using hitman (read: touch recovery) to flash his ROMs.

So it seems CMW Touch Recovery is the common denominator, but folks in the BlazerROM thread were able to restore successfully, either through nandroid backups or odin. I'm wondering if its the combination of touch recovery and the FBxx leaks that's causing the /data corruptions.

I am still around, but had to travel at the last minute.

It is hard to do any debugging without my dev setup, so i wouldn't expect any updates from me until the end of the week.

Before i left i think i at least figured out why cwm touch was causing issues for some but not others. As mentioned earlier cwm touch already behaves funky on gingerbread roms.

What tipped the scale appears to be if you used the cwm touch update.zip to "fake flash" using the stock ics fb09/fb15/fb17 recovery. When you "fake flash" cwm touch, you end up combining a cwm touch recovery, that was already behaving funny with a linux 2.6 kernel, with the ics linux 3.0 linux kernel. This was just too much and when cwm touch went to format or restore it hoarked some meta data making it impossible for utilities to access, format, or repartition /data.

The people who did not have fatal situations with cwm touch didn't the fake flash on top of the 3.0 linux kernel. They odin flashed a 2.6 gb kernel with cwm touch packed into the initramfs.

So the moral of the story is don't go fake flashing recoveries with arbitrary kernels, you might not like what you get.

Btw both update.zip and rom manager do fake flashes.

Sorry for the typos, i am using swype.