Battery/ charging issue (constant battery drain) e988

Search This thread

ja.andro

Oct 21, 2013
uploadfromtaptalk1394623244707.jpg

I have been facing constant battery drain for sometime now. Even while charging, battery keeps on draining without much of heavy use.

Plus it may sound weird, but this constant drain is not continuous for days. Some days battery works fine, but some days it just won't charge. For example, last night i kept my phone on charging, but in the morning battery was around 75% charged instead of 100% (charge time was around 7-8 hours)

I am using original charger supplied to me by this phone and the phone itself is unrooted/ stock rom.

Waiting for replies :confused:

Sent from my LG-E988 using xda app-developers app

PsykoGeek

Mar 3, 2014
View attachment 2626542

I have been facing constant battery drain for sometime now. Even while charging, battery keeps on draining without much of heavy use.

Your battery sounds like it sucks.
I am using a method on my phone that shows me (about) how many mA is going in and out of the battery. An App called CoolTool amazingly loaded and complex app, which can do an overlay. I use this app for only One visual overlay, the mA display. (current)
I wont tell you how to set it up, because you will find it. I will tell you it shows how much power is being sucked up, and the reverse shows negative numbers when being charged , at least when being charged faster than it discharges. Set it to update every 30seconds, not a great update rate , but given enough time you can see what is going on. There is another program called "current widget" capable of faster updates, but does not do overlay (cause its a widget), It will work to show power on this here lg too, but i do not find it as usefull, and high update rates could take a bit more battery.

Speaking of charging faster than discharging, turn on the wifi and the screen and mabey some background garbage, then charge it up with either a lightweight wire (to much resistance) or a charger that does not have a good output. And it will use more power than you can put in :cool: So when charging on either of these apps that shows current, you eventually want to see actual Negative numbers like -1000 for a fast charge from the OEM charger.

So get a view going , and you can see what is happening. Not all the phones will show this current, and not very many programs do it, And with coolTool we also get to see it (overlay) when gaming, and watching movies. so it is a start to discovery. I have no affiliation with all these programs that i am ending up recommending, other than having been through google store hell for ages trying to find the right ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: ja.andro

ja.andro

Oct 21, 2013
Thank you for the reply. Let me see if it helps

I appreciate your help, but i don't understand a word the app is trying to show me. I am currently using the app, and sometimes the charge goes up to 376mA down to -21mA while doing one time charge.

Is it normal? I don't have a spare charger to try it, but was using OEM charger. Stats i told was from the OEM itself.

Last edited:

PsykoGeek

Mar 3, 2014
sometimes the charge goes up to 376mA down to -21mA while doing one time charge.

So it probably is not your battery, it is probably the rate of charge.

This is a similar quantity that I will see when the "fast charge" is not going , there might even be a notification saying slow charge.
That happened to me 3 different ways.
1) when using a non-oem charger (including pc)
2) when using a different wire, the wires that did not work were either longer or weaker wiring.
3) just because fast charge did not kick in for some reason, disconnecting both sides and reconnecting worked.

I believe that the numbers your seeing , just like what i saw, are a 500mA type Charge rate, it is showing about 300mA (from the battery) when the phone (at least temporarily) is using about 800mA and the negative numbers (-21mA) when it is finnaly using less than the 500mA.
Turning the backlight down (a lot) and turning off ALL the other stuff that uses battery, can get the Use down to about 250mA , or turning it to screen off, where it should use very little.

Still without this fast charge, it isnt going to be a very happy experience, but it is possible to use.

Last edited:
Reactions: ja.andro

ja.andro

Oct 21, 2013
uploadfromtaptalk1394725483825.jpg
Charger which i use

uploadfromtaptalk1394725483825.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1394725574839.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1394725601123.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1394725626236.jpg

See the difference in charges and look at the time. (Note each time i took screenshot, i pulled the wall charger out of socket and put it back on. Shouldn't it be constant?)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394725549330.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394725549330.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 65

PsykoGeek

Mar 3, 2014
View attachment 2628591
Charger which i use

See the difference in charges and look at the time. (Note each time i took screenshot, i pulled the wall charger out of socket and put it back on. Shouldn't it be constant?)

That is the 1.2A charger, there is also a 1.8A charger.

I do not think that the cool tool has any averaging, it is just a single sample. So it would be all over the place as the use of the phone and charging changes, it will be More the same when the exact same things are done. the exact same screen lighting, the same ammount of cpu use etc for long times. So it can easily vary 500, or under much user control of the phone you can get it to stabalise with +-100 swings.

I have most all of the apps and background data, and Mobile data, and all that stuff under control. You also now have one more app (the cool tool itself) that will be using power. that is why i mentioned controlling it to only 1 thing.

So it is all very normal to see such changes in the sampling, I spent a lot of time getting samples, to get a feel for everything. I dont write them down, but I know what gets it to change now, some things more than others. (some I can do without :)

You should still be able to shut off most of your apps temporarily and turn off unnessisary I/O and features, lower the light, and wait , and wait to see how the charge is working.

Last edited:

ja.andro

Oct 21, 2013
Yep i have already tried and done from past weeks. Some days it just works fine, but other days, it just sucks. I mean looking at your phone with battery going down exponentially in front of your own eyes and you out at office.

But yes, I'll try a 1.8A charger in a few days. will get back to you then

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    View attachment 2626542

Your battery sounds like it sucks.
    I am using a method on my phone that shows me (about) how many mA is going in and out of the battery. An App called CoolTool amazingly loaded and complex app, which can do an overlay. I use this app for only One visual overlay, the mA display. (current)
    I wont tell you how to set it up, because you will find it. I will tell you it shows how much power is being sucked up, and the reverse shows negative numbers when being charged , at least when being charged faster than it discharges. Set it to update every 30seconds, not a great update rate , but given enough time you can see what is going on. There is another program called "current widget" capable of faster updates, but does not do overlay (cause its a widget), It will work to show power on this here lg too, but i do not find it as usefull, and high update rates could take a bit more battery.

Speaking of charging faster than discharging, turn on the wifi and the screen and mabey some background garbage, then charge it up with either a lightweight wire (to much resistance) or a charger that does not have a good output. And it will use more power than you can put in :cool: So when charging on either of these apps that shows current, you eventually want to see actual Negative numbers like -1000 for a fast charge from the OEM charger.

So get a view going , and you can see what is happening. Not all the phones will show this current, and not very many programs do it, And with coolTool we also get to see it (overlay) when gaming, and watching movies. so it is a start to discovery. I have no affiliation with all these programs that i am ending up recommending, other than having been through google store hell for ages trying to find the right ones.
    sometimes the charge goes up to 376mA down to -21mA while doing one time charge.

So it probably is not your battery, it is probably the rate of charge.

This is a similar quantity that I will see when the "fast charge" is not going , there might even be a notification saying slow charge.
    That happened to me 3 different ways.
    1) when using a non-oem charger (including pc)
    2) when using a different wire, the wires that did not work were either longer or weaker wiring.
    3) just because fast charge did not kick in for some reason, disconnecting both sides and reconnecting worked.

I believe that the numbers your seeing , just like what i saw, are a 500mA type Charge rate, it is showing about 300mA (from the battery) when the phone (at least temporarily) is using about 800mA and the negative numbers (-21mA) when it is finnaly using less than the 500mA.
    Turning the backlight down (a lot) and turning off ALL the other stuff that uses battery, can get the Use down to about 250mA , or turning it to screen off, where it should use very little.

Still without this fast charge, it isnt going to be a very happy experience, but it is possible to use.