Google Now launcher --press home, then say "Ok Google".

Search This thread

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Hey guys,
I really wanted the "Ok Google" from home like I have on my Nexus. After doing this, you can press the home button to wake the device up and then simply say "ok google, remind me to talk to my boss when I get to work". It takes specific versions of the apps to make this work and I located a combination that wiill do the job.

You will need:
  • Google Play Store installed
  • Google Search installed from Play Store.
  • A copy of ADB

Installation
  1. Un-tar.gz this file with whatever program you use for file compression, to a folder called "GoogleLauncher"
  2. Navigate to the "GoogleLauncher" folder,
  3. Using your copy of ADB, type "adb remount", then "adb push *.apk /system/app"
  4. Go to Settings>System>Accessibility>Quick Boot and disable Quick Boot
  5. Reboot your watch.

Conclusion
This worked for me. If you're having problems or you'd like this turned into an app you can download and press a button to perform the tasks above, let me know.

Last edited:

dragonfly1113

Apr 7, 2009
Hopatcong
Hey guys,
I really wanted the "Ok Google" from home like I have on my Nexus. After doing this, you can press the home button to wake the device up and then simply say "ok google, remind me to talk to my boss when I get to work". It takes specific versions of the apps to make this work and I located a combination that wiill do the job.

You will need:
  • A copy of ADB

Installation
  1. Un-tar.gz this file with whatever program you use for file compression, to a folder called "GoogleLauncher"
  3. Using your copy of ADB, type "adb remount", then "adb push *.apk /system/app"
  5. Reboot your watch.

Conclusion
This worked for me. If you're having problems or you'd like this turned into an app you can download and press a button to perform the tasks above, let me know.

Would this work for the callisto 100? x201?

lbohn

Jan 18, 2007
29°47'30"N 98°43'50"W
I really wanted the "Ok Google" from home like I have on my Nexus. After doing this, you can press the home button to wake the device up and then simply say "ok google, remind me to talk to my boss when I get to work".

On my S2, Google Now is both part of the Google Launcher and Google Search. For those of us running Loki's EnSec + Operative, does the Google Launcher below replace SmartLauncher as the home action? In other words, are we giving up SmartLauncher / WP8 Launcher / OUI2.0 to get Google Now?

What about making it a flashable zip? Operative includes TWRP, so we should be able to flash system APKs.

Thanks!

--L.

trent999

Nov 16, 2013
Jaskru, I was wondering the same thing. I did what you suggest above back in February, and the OK Google launcher has been an option ever since. Works better than typing, for most stuff.

I am otherwise on unrooted stock, though I do not suggest others use their TrueSmarts unpatched at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jaskru

May 23, 2010
that's not it. something is missing from the system apps. I tried just installing them, it didn't work.

I remember when we were first trying to do it before Loki came out with the patch + operative we had to push services (velvet.apk) as a system app... Now, when you get the device and install Loki's patch (+operative I think) or Dees rom that has that stuff in it too you have the up to date velvet.apk as a system app. And, of course you need the search.apk too.

That's where I was coming from. If someone is going to try and push an apk as a system app, they may as well just run Loki's script instead. Thanks for sharing though.

cdrom1028

Jul 22, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
plus.google.com
Hey @AdamOutler, Have you seen any differences with the battery life? Thanks for the Post, I got it setup the first try. I was just curious as to what I should expect?

Update: For a simple launcher, this is pretty nice. The apps and the drawer fit nicer then Apex did, even with a ton of setup. Smart launcher is nicer than apex, but there's a lot of setup as well. I just launched the Now launcher and it just worked. My apps look nice and the drawer is clear and easy to read. Now all i want is for my watch to do the notifications like the android wear demo! :)

Last edited:

dragonfly1113

Apr 7, 2009
Hopatcong
you need a computer to run this correct? for the adb part of it? any change you guys can post a screenshot of your launcher so i could see how it looks prior to installing it later when i get home. been switching between nova and wplauncher8

Thanks,

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
I remember when we were first trying to do it before Loki came out with the patch + operative we had to push services (velvet.apk) as a system app... Now, when you get the device and install Loki's patch (+operative I think) or Dees rom that has that stuff in it too you have the up to date velvet.apk as a system app. And, of course you need the search.apk too.

That's where I was coming from. If someone is going to try and push an apk as a system app, they may as well just run Loki's script instead. Thanks for sharing though.
Stop trolling my thread. You're wrong and now you're looking for loopholes. No, its not in the operative patch. I don't create threads for no reason. Judging by your Post to Thanks ratio, you post unhelpful comments like this one all the time. Just stop it. You're being unhelpful, cluttering the thread, and adding misleading information.

Hey @AdamOutler, Have you seen any differences with the battery life? Thanks for the Post, I got it setup the first try. I was just curious as to what I should expect?

Update: For a simple launcher, this is pretty nice. The apps and the drawer fit nicer then Apex did, even with a ton of setup. Smart launcher is nicer than apex, but there's a lot of setup as well. I just launched the Now launcher and it just worked. My apps look nice and the drawer is clear and easy to read. Now all i want is for my watch to do the notifications like the android wear demo! :)

Yeah, it's battery life appears to be the same or better. I'm getting 70% by the end of the day on wifi with vibration and sound on.
you need a computer to run this correct? for the adb part of it? any change you guys can post a screenshot of your launcher so i could see how it looks prior to installing it later when i get home. been switching between nova and wplauncher8

Thanks,

It just looks like a standard Nexus AOSP launcher with a 4x4 grid. It's small, but usable.

jaskru

May 23, 2010
Wasn't trying to troll Adam. Was just participating. Guess it was just magic then for me when I flashed the patch and dl and installed the apk with no issues. Sorry for sharing my experience with you.

trent999

Nov 16, 2013
I have been using Google Now as one of my three alternative launchers for over a month. It has never crashed. I say, "OK Google.....launch Tapatalk" and it does. "OK Google....call susan" and it asks me whether to use Phone or Skype (Skype started working for me on the TS after some recent update), then places the call.

To enable this, I followed the same guide I used to get Google Now onto my Nexus4 before KitKat was released for it. Best I can remember I just side loaded a couple of apk's using a guide on some android web site like Android Police maybe. It just worked, appearing as a launcher option with the other two I already had in place.

All this was on my stock insecure unpatched 1/8/1900 with the shipping 20140120 firmware and Google Play side loaded as usual.

I've got screencaps ! They are on the TS though, and I cannot type on that thing hardly still.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ignorantguru

Jan 10, 2007
Lost my notifications launcher

Hi everyone,
One thing I noticed when I switched to this launcher: no notifications bar on the top. Did anyone else get this? Something to think about if you're going to make it your default.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

You will need:
    • A copy of ADB

Installation
    5. Reboot your watch.

Conclusion