[Q] Unlock bootloader wipe TA partition ?

Search This thread

Jonas740

Apr 17, 2014
Hello.

Im abit new to the forum but here goes.

Ive read tons of posts everywhere and there aint any exact answers anywhere to find.

In the past ive never known about the TA and DRM so happy as i am i just unlocked the bootloader on all the phones and still happy. The latest phone is the Xperia Z1. It has been abit buggy to say the least but im hoping software updates will cure this.

Anyway, i rooted my phone and unlocked the bootloader on the .681 firmware and now i am on .757 firmware. Using Doomlords kernel. I thought id check if i could backup my TA partition after unlocking the bootloader. And from what ive read its suppose to be wiped when you unlock the bootloader.

Well it was no problem backing up the TA partion. All files were there and it came out with no errors. So the question, how is this possible ?

/Jonas740

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
No, it's been wiped, if you restore that TA you will not relock your phone and you will not get the drm keys back, it's possible because unlocking "wipe "your original ta partition and replaced it, so you have backed up a post unlocking partition, not a pre unlocking partition

Also, please post questions in the correct form

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Jonas740

Apr 17, 2014
Aha, just wanted to sort things since ppl were saying that it was completely wiped when unlocking bootloader. And when I checked it wasn't.

Although, after numerous tests with the phone I can't understand what use the DRM keys is. Everything works just like it should without them.

Another question though. If I relock my phone with flashtool. What is the way to unlock it after? The official way won't work again I guess?

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
Aha, just wanted to sort things since ppl were saying that it was completely wiped when unlocking bootloader. And when I checked it wasn't.

Although, after numerous tests with the phone I can't understand what use the DRM keys is. Everything works just like it should without them.

Another question though. If I relock my phone with flashtool. What is the way to unlock it after? The official way won't work again I guess?

No it doesn't, you will need to ensure you use flashtool to re unlock. However, you will also need to make sure you have the correct folder tree
I think maybe the newest version of flashtool does this, but there are a couple of posts in DooMLoRDs thread tutorial thread in the development section about it.

The main difference I notice with an unlocked bootloader is the inability to use PCComapnion to update, but that's not a big issue for as I can create the FTF and create a flashable .zip from it....

Jonas740

Apr 17, 2014
Ye updating with Sony software won't work nor the over the air update. But that's about it as I've seen.

But I remember on my Sony Xperia V that when I relocked it, then I could use Sony update again and I did so wiping everything before I sent that one to the repair shop. They repaired it and I got it back. All under warranty :)

The latest update .757 is really buggy, hope they fix it. Phone restarts sometimes when using the camera.

Jonas740

Apr 17, 2014
because

Double thread in the same section? How this is possible? :cowboy:

because i posted it wrong and couldtn delete it and made the same post in the correct forum and told moderator to delete the wrongly posted one. The moderator moved the thread instead so hence double posting :D and he kinda locked the wrong thread :D