New 4g Phones

Search This thread

destroyerbmx

Mar 29, 2010
New Mexico
twitter.com
Anyone jumping on one of these phones when they come out? I am thinking about getting the thunderbolt seeing as its all based off the dinc and they have has some success modding that.

micdawg12

Jul 10, 2010
Anyone jumping on one of these phones when they come out? I am thinking about getting the thunderbolt seeing as its all based off the dinc and they have has some success modding that.

I personally do not find anything on the next gen phones ( at least the ones displayed at CES ) that I would trade my fascinate in for. I am going to wait for a bit.

destroyerbmx

Mar 29, 2010
New Mexico
twitter.com
Where I live I dont get 4g but I travel a lot and some of the places I go have 4g. I am interested in the thunderbolt because it has the large screen and its not motorola.

johnnyv5

Oct 12, 2006
I have 4g coverage in my area, work and home. But going to hold onto the Fascinate until something peaks my interest. Seems like all the 4g phones have 4.3" screens. Seems kinda big to me...

jv

superchunkwii

Jan 5, 2011
Arizona
Considering 4G won't be in my area until end of year, I'll start looking then.

However, my next phone will have to have these conditions:

1. Dual Core
2. Rear Camera of 8MB or >
3. Front Camera of 2MB or >
4. Android 2.4 or >
5. USB connection
6. SD card support
7. Ability to become PC. i.e. Moto's Atrix laptop doc or similar doc that would allow connection to full screen/keyboard (or phone would be kb/mouse).

I think these requirements are easily doable by end of the year. Plus, I don't think battery is going to be very much affected as some think by dual core. Most phones now use a 1500mh battery whereas the notes for dual cores so far are 2000mh batteries. So, I'm betting life is roughly the same.

Though, by next year we need to see a newer technology for portable devices.

destroyerbmx

Mar 29, 2010
New Mexico
twitter.com
Yeah, I really like the Atrix, its got all the stuff, and 1gb of ram. For some reason no one else is making that much ram on the phone. I just dont like how moto locks their phones, I get 2 upgrades a year since I have two phones so I am planning, right now, on getting the thunderbolt and then something around september.

kent1146

Jan 24, 2011

I'm going to wait for the hardware to mature first.

1) 4G is not available in my area.
2) Battery life? Everyone is focused on 4G and dual-core... nobody has said a peep about battery life.
3) I'm in love with the Samsung Fascinate hardware. Going to an LG or HTC phone feels like a step backwards.
4) Hackability. I want to only buy phones with lots of custom ROM support, and will wait to see how the modding / ROM scene develops first.
5) I don't buy new phones. I wait at least 2 months, then buy used devices. I can use the phone for several months, then sell the phone as used for about the same price I paid. Doing this allows me to frequently switch devices, so I can switch hardware almost at-will at no cost to me.

johnnyv5

Oct 12, 2006
I've just come to the conclusion that I am getting an HTC when my time is up. I really love this phone but the lack of updates from Samsung is just too much. This is my 4th samsung. I had the i760, the omnia 1 and 2 and now the Fascinate. I will not throw any more money to them.

just my 2 cents.

jv

johnnyv5

Oct 12, 2006
Yeah, the lack of post-launch updates is incredibly frustrating.

But they just make such sweet hardware... SUCH sweet hardware.

I honestly love the phone. Not that I wanna be a poser froyo boy but I think we deserve to have the latest and greatest. This phone has such potential but when you see what's coming out as far as in OS improvements and your not sure if or when it is going to be put on your phone I can't stand it. Oh well. I have one more year for a new every two so I'll just enjoy this pohone until I can get a 4G phone.

jv

Thrillhouse847

Sep 19, 2010
Chicago
Although I'm fairly sure 4g is available in my area (I live in Chicago), I'm totally content with my Fascinate at the moment. I'm planning on waiting a while for the next wave of 4g phones before I consider making the switch.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

johnnyv5

Oct 12, 2006
Although I'm fairly sure 4g is available in my area (I live in Chicago), I'm totally content with my Fascinate at the moment. I'm planning on waiting a while for the next wave of 4g phones before I consider making the switch.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

Yeah, going to have to be sure the next phone is going to last me a few years seeing as Verizon is getting rid of it's new every two program. I wonder what they are going to replace it with, "Get Screwed every two"?

jv

destroyerbmx

Mar 29, 2010
New Mexico
twitter.com
big thing I am looking at with the thunderbolt is the xda community and mods possible with it, all htc phones have had great support from xda. Modding is my #1 reason for getting a phone, I thought the fascinate would have a great community since it was all unlocked and open sourced, but that fell short. Not slamming JT or Dirrk, geeknik...etc, they have all done outstanding work, but I thought it was going to be like the original droid crazy, w/ custom roms left and right. I know the HTCs pretty much carry that and I am guessing they will be able to port anything over. My 2nd phone down the road this year will be based on HW, something crazy again, I dont like having a slow phone.

kent1146

Jan 24, 2011
My brother-in-law Facebook'ed a message earlier this morning.

He is a die-hard Apple fanboy, has been waiting for a Verizon iPhone for the past 3 years, and just got his Verizon iPhone 4 yesterday. 2 months ago, I convinced him to buy an Android phone, and taught him how to root it and play with custom ROMs.

"Not impressed with the iPhone, hate the stock OS. Wish I could put a custom ROM on it."​

That makes me happy.