Cyanogenmod 9 Progress Report

Search This thread

audi_on_u

May 13, 2010

Read caefull dave ...he speculated by stating so will our device? Not our device......read...not rush my friend...

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
kinda sucks that Motorola Droid users are getting dropped.
But I imagined it was only a matter of time...
The hardware is starting to get limited.
But I wonder if a dual core phone will be the last phone I will ever buy?
It would take quite some time for the OS to exceed the power of a dual core phone.

shinkinrui

Oct 8, 2009
I think there's a pretty good chance the G2 will be one of the first devices, based on this update.

cyanogen said:
The first devices ... that we’ll have ready will mostly likely be devices based on OMAP4, MSM8660/7X30, and Exynos.

The G2's SOC is based on the MSM7230 chip:
http://www.htc.com/us/products/t-mobile-g2/#tech-specs

We'll see what the future holds. Very much looking forward to trying out ICS!

Chem23

Apr 30, 2011
I'm also very much looking forward to CM9 for the Desire Z.
All good things come to those who wait! :)

pentie

Dec 21, 2011
Guangzhou
"The first devices that we’ll have ready will mostly likely be devices based on OMAP4, MSM8660/7X30,"

Sounds Desire Z is surely had the arrow on the knee ... :p

Hope they got the graphical and camera driver developed better than the current ported/AOSP based ICS.

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
I posted this the other day in the CM7 thread in the dev forum :

Update on CM9 from Cyanogen (Steve Kondik) himself :

We've been seeing some alpha builds of CM9 for a few devices. Where are things at right now?

We’re working on adding a lot of new features ... the theme engine needs to be totally rebuilt. Overall things are going to be a lot cleaner. The CM settings will all be integrated into the stock control panel. Everything in it's place, where it should be. The hardeset thing about CM9 is that Google has changed so much internally with ICS. Issues with graphics drivers are an issue. We can’t even write a transition layer to use. We’re just waiting on Google at this point. I’ve ported CM9 to the galaxy tab 10.1, but with no hardware acceleration... well, it just sucks. A lot of things don't work. We're not going to release something at this stage of development.

Looks like it's not going to be very soon.

By the way, I clarified with Steve that it is not Google they are waiting on, but graphics drivers from official vendor ICS updates.

Source : http://rootzwiki.com/_/articles/meet-the-devs-cyanogen-r318

Sent from my Desire Z running CM7.

Reactions: yesshh

yesshh

Jan 16, 2011

By the way, I clarified with Steve that it is not Google they are waiting on, but graphics drivers from official vendor ICS updates.

Thanks for the update, I have to admit though that I am becoming more and more impatient.

But, I know it will be worth the wait. :p

evilcuber

Aug 3, 2010
Toronto
I have also been waiting impatiently for CM9, i've been a die-hard CM user since my G1...but a good alternative until they are done is Virtuous Quattro...right now at RC2, but it runs very well on my G2

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1428866

I've been following the thread and there seems to still be many glitches in RC2. Does it run smoothly on your phone? Also does the camera work if u use a 3rd party app? I'm think of switching over to virtuous quattro :p

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium App

yesshh

Jan 16, 2011
I have also been waiting impatiently for CM9, i've been a die-hard CM user since my G1...but a good alternative until they are done is Virtuous Quattro...right now at RC2, but it runs very well on my G2

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1428866

I think I may try this one Monday. I had a replacement phone sent to me last week because of a display issue (turning shades of green and sometimes not waking up). The replacement they sent me is now going into a boot cycle when I try and turn on the WiFi, and it doesn't find any networks. Plus, I updated the stock Froyo to Gingerbread, and it looks like a pain somewhat to downgrade.

So maybe when I get the new one in Monday it will have stock Froyo and I can root and install the Virtuous Quattro ROM then.

Maybe you guys can answer a question since I am thinking about it now, if I do root it and everything with stock Froyo, do I just make a backup with ClockworkMod to keep the stock image?

cleentrax

Oct 13, 2010
my ics experience: virtuous quattro RC2, Andromadus Alpha 8, ICS Slim 1.2

I tried all three ICS ROMs on my G2 this weekend. Kudos to the devs -- they are all worthy projects. I am back to CM7, though while waiting for CM9 or a more stable version of the other three. Here is my feedback:

Virtuous Quattro RC2:
This is an impressive ROM, but definitely not RC -- the launcher display glitch is a showstopper if only for aesthetic reasons. I'm glad that the camera hack exists (progress!), but it's not yet usable, or at least not reliable. It often crashes, doesn't show preview until the second picture, and often corrupts part of the photo. Also, no wifi-calling which is a must have for many T-Mobile G2 users.

Andromadus Alpha 8:
This ROM is more stable than Virtuous Quattro in terms of visual glitches, but it lacks camera and wifi-calling. I missed some of the settings and features built into Quattro.

ICS Slim 1.2
This ROM performs quite nicely and is definitely slim. I missed the stock Email app, but it was easy to add back in by unzipping an ICS Gapps file. Wifi-calling is installed but not working for me. I was able to launch the app, and get the icon in the notification bar, but wasn't able to actually place or receive calls. Incoming calls were ignored, and outgoing calls would spin on dialing for about 20 seconds, and then end with a beep.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Take a look at this!
    http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/cm9-progress-update

So will our device be from the first to get it?

We've been seeing some alpha builds of CM9 for a few devices. Where are things at right now?

We’re working on adding a lot of new features ... the theme engine needs to be totally rebuilt. Overall things are going to be a lot cleaner. The CM settings will all be integrated into the stock control panel. Everything in it's place, where it should be. The hardeset thing about CM9 is that Google has changed so much internally with ICS. Issues with graphics drivers are an issue. We can’t even write a transition layer to use. We’re just waiting on Google at this point. I’ve ported CM9 to the galaxy tab 10.1, but with no hardware acceleration... well, it just sucks. A lot of things don't work. We're not going to release something at this stage of development.

Latest update :

It’s been awhile since the last update and I just wanted to let everyone know about our progress with CM9. As I mentioned in the previous update, Android 4.0 contains many internal changes that require updated graphics drivers. Unfortunately, these drivers are almost always closed-source and don’t appear until a device or devkit is released with them. For many devices, our hands are tied. Some very clever workarounds have gone into CM9, but we’re still blocked on some subsystems like the camera.

Since Android 4.0 is such a major change from 2.3, we started with a fresh codebase from Google and have been forward-porting features from CM7 with an eye on design and better integration. This is a somewhat time-consuming process, but it allows us to rethink everything. We’ve eliminated the CMParts app, instead choosing to add our custom features directly into the main settings. We are also taking a “just works” approach when it comes to configuration- CM7 had too many options that just weren’t widely used. We hope to achieve a good balance between tweakability and a great out-of-the-box experience. I want your phone or tablet to feel like it should have come with CM9.

Currently, you can compile CM9 for a small number of devices- notably the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Wi-Fi and T-Mobile versions), the HP Touchpad and Motorola Xoom. The next devices to show up will likely be a whole array of Samsung phones (Exynos chipset), with devices based on the Qualcomm MSM8660 and 7×30 chipsets to follow. It’s still unclear if we can provide support for the QSD8x50 family of devices (Nexus One, HTC Evo, etc), but the answer almost always turns out to be “yes” for these kinds of things.

As our hardware support improves, I’ll keep this blog updated. As much as we’d like to stay ahead of the manufacturers, it may be a tie this time Thanks for the continued support, and please consider dropping us a buck or two using the link at the bottom of the page if you enjoy CyanogenMod.

Source - http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/progress-on-cm9