Is there a hardware issue with the z1c camera and LED flash?

Search This thread

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
Let me show you some photos of similar problem with Z1.

ISO is above 400. So i thought if ISO is above 400 with flash then there can be haze. Not true. See this pic (reference)

ISO 800, dark room, flash on = no flare.

Is ISO 800 high enough ? no, it can go higher still. See this (reference)

ISO 1600, flash on = no flare

I'm surprised this issue even exists with Z1c because the flash is positioned further away from the lens than the Z1.

Reactions: Zoidy

Richdog

Jul 31, 2009
On a positive note, the camera is pretty stellar with manual settings and ISO control (no flash)... check the detail...

Photo 1:

20.1MP
SCN: Disabled with 20MP photos (no idea why)
Photo 1: ISO 50
Focussing: Multi
Metering: Average

1048020_10151825136171330_1470049374_o.jpg

Photo 2:

8MP
SCN: None
Photo 1: ISO 400
Focussing: Multi
Metering: Average

Those are very good results. It's just the flash which sucks...

PS: Facebook has compressed those so they aren't original quality.

toxic_garden

On a positive note, the camera is pretty stellar with manual settings and ISO control (no flash)... check the detail...
first of all, they show what a great city like Zürich looks like. :D
But i agree. I rarely use the flash, especially outside. But i'll do some experimenting with ISO- and whitebalance-values tonight. There needs to be some really heavy improvement for superior automatic mode within the next builds!

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
SCN: Disabled with 20MP photos (no idea why)
With stock camera, scene modes defaults to 8MP.

if you use ProCapture then you can use SCN modes with 20MP.

Leave 20MP for outdoors with good light and 8MP for indoors where the light isn't as much. Resizing 20MP to 8MP results in a less noisy image. They call it oversampling. if you do the same in photoshop or similar with 20MP, the effect is the same. Resize to 3.5MP and it gets even better.

PS: Facebook has compressed those so they aren't original quality.
Recommended to use flickr.

Richdog

Jul 31, 2009
With stock camera, scene modes defaults to 8MP.

if you use ProCapture then you can use SCN modes with 20MP.

Leave 20MP for outdoors with good light and 8MP for indoors where the light isn't as much. Resizing 20MP to 8MP results in a less noisy image. They call it oversampling. if you do the same in photoshop or similar with 20MP, the effect is the same. Resize to 3.5MP and it gets even better.

Recommended to use flickr.

ProCapture doesn't allow manual ISO adjustment according to many reviews I read on Google Play... that is a big fail for me as that is what is needed to get the most out of this camera..

Zoidy

Jan 21, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Just tried my Z1c on manual at 100 iso with auto flash whilst sitting at the dining table with low light levels and I have no issues with flash bleeding. Picture looks very good to me.

Incidentally I'm loving the picture effects.

Sent from my D5503 using xda app-developers app

toxic_garden

took some more test-shots from the same position as some days ago. Pictures with flash are all fine up to ISO 400 and Whitebalance Level "artifical light". On auto-WB, the blue fog is way more dominant. Obviously, the pictures are darker than on all-auto-mode, as this uses ISO 1600. But as mentioned before, i barely take night-shots using the flash and even when i do, i don't take photos of empty streets. So no big issue for me.
(standing in the rain and taking 20 pictures of a fence isn't normal. But on XDA, it is. :p )

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
ProCapture doesn't allow manual ISO adjustment according to many reviews I read on Google Play... that is a big fail for me as that is what is needed to get the most out of this camera..
Sony's camera libraries do not allow third party apps to set ISO. I understand this is the same with LG & nexus as well.

SCN modes do not allow setting ISO, some people prefer the 20MP capture to 8MP.

I don't see a lot to recommend using anything but stock.

OCEP

Jan 6, 2011
So I got my Z1 compact yesterday and took a bunch of test shots in.a pitch dark room.

Most of the photos didn't show any signs of a flash-bleed effect but a handful of them did and ended up with some blue/purple'ish haze seemingly coming from the direction of the flash.

However, I was unable to reproduce anything as bad as the examples given in this post and like other users I wouldn't be taking photos in these terrible light conditions anyway. So this is a non-issue in my case.

I took all the photos in auto mode which, apparently, is also the mode which triggers the flash bleed the most. It simply wasn't as bad as seen I'm this thread.

On another note though... I'm much more concerned about the quality of the front facing camera. I've only taken some shots during the evening with half-decent lighting so maybe it's better during daylight but the photos I took ended up looking terrible. Very noisy/grainy and with terrible colours.

I tried playing around with the few options it has for the front facing cam but had no luck in producing better quality photos. It's somewhat frustrating although I didn't plan to use that cam as much.

But again, I haven't tested it out in daylight so maybe there's hope...

Sent from my D5503 using xda app-developers app

Wlashack

Apr 12, 2010
Brno
Well I have to say that there is one strange thing: When I have back of my white Z1C dirty (from fingerprints mostly) in the area of LED, photos are messed up. BUT! When I clean glass "in front of" the LED, photos are quite good. Of course if you want to see it, maybee you will but i think that is acceptaple.

PS: I wanted to upload sample photo here, but I do not know how :)

Reactions: SirRobin78

Frodo07

Sep 24, 2011
Well I have to say that there is one strange thing: When I have back of my white Z1C dirty (from fingerprints mostly) in the area of LED, photos are messed up. BUT! When I clean glass "in front of" the LED, photos are quite good. Of course if you want to see it, maybee you will but i think that is acceptaple.

PS: I wanted to upload sample photo here, but I do not know how :)

exact the same Problem i had. just wanted to sent it back, but then cleaned the back, and all normal now

Wlashack

Apr 12, 2010
Brno
Photos would be great!

You can upload them over the Additional Options under the text box when you answer...

"Attach Files" is the menu option you have to look at ;)

OK, thanks for the help very much. I will upload some stuff tomorrow at the evening, if its enoughg. But you can belive me. If is LED dirty, there is "colour bleeding", if you will clean it, the difference is huge.

guap

Sep 23, 2007
Milano
No flash issue for me, even in full dark scenario. Black model, first released in Italy

roophz

Jun 18, 2010
This is probably an unnecessary resurrection of the issue. However, I had the same issues and had my set replaced by Sony (they tried fixing it but there were no parts). All i can say, the issues are fixed in the new handset. Sony will probably hate me for saying this, but they did mess up one batch of phones and you should definitely ask them to test your phone with a newer built z1c in a large dark space. The difference is day and night.

zeus2602

Dec 31, 2010
Wels
This is probably an unnecessary resurrection of the issue. However, I had the same issues and had my set replaced by Sony (they tried fixing it but there were no parts). All i can say, the issues are fixed in the new handset. Sony will probably hate me for saying this, but they did mess up one batch of phones and you should definitely ask them to test your phone with a newer built z1c in a large dark space. The difference is day and night.

Sony already said the same:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-acknowledges-Xperia-Z1-Compact-LED-flash-problem-says-the-issue-affected-only-a-small-number-of-phones_id54869

:cowboy:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guess what seems to fix the problem....
    glued3d0ylx8bvz.jpg
    Hi, have a look at this:
    unbenanntu537f2oxg4.png

I guess they Need to Change the design of the glossy back of the device to fix that issue
    It is a hardware issue. The problem is the back of the device. It reflects the flash light which then hits the camera lens.

Flat glass can't reflect light into the.camera lense. But just out of curiosity I tested your theory. Covered the back in a matt vinyl. Same effect

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    @GR36 as far as I remember my physics classes refelctions can occur between every material Change, eg led-glass->glasscover->air
    So a reflection would be possible, see my example:
    unbenanntu537f2oxg4.png

@toxic_garden
    try to take a Picture of the sky at night. Picture should be black. But it is not.
    Close Pictures are fine for me, too. But move away 1 or 2m. Please try again.
    Good morning, the tape helps, yeah.
    Have a look at Post #12 it shows the same scenery without taped lens.