News: HTC to retire QWERTY from its future plans

Search This thread

masterbox

Jan 4, 2008
This is sad, for sure...
I would like to upgrade, but I can't yet abandonned my DZ and it's great keyboard...

Thijs_W

Jul 4, 2011
's-Hertogenbosch
I keep asking myself why HTC adapts this business strategy!? I get really frustrated bij touchscreen keyboards not doing what I want, while working with a QWERTY goes supersmooth...

It seems QWERTY is not for the mainstream anymore :(

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
This is sad news indeed. I would love a One Z based on the X or S but with a keyboard.

To be fair to Samsung / Motorola though, we're comparing their current devices to HTC's newest generation. Give it a few months and then we can afford to be worried if Samsung or Motorola have not changed things up in the build department.

That said, If HTC is really bailing from the physical keyboard arena, I would love a g3 to be released by the new Google-owned Motorola. Unlocked, sleeker design and top quality hardware. Google branded too with stock ICS if we want to really dream.

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

miscz

Jul 2, 2011
I'm sure Motorola won't abandon Droid/Milestone brand as they are truly known brand as opposed to HTC offerings. I doubt will see any changes to Motorola policies though as Google doesn't want to interfere and are actually looking into selling it, to Huawei as some rumors say...

andrewilley

Mar 17, 2006
Birmingham
The 'HTC One' that I'd be waiting for would be an HTC One Z.

My main reason for going Android rather than Apple was decent keyboards, like my current Desire-Z.

The other one was replaceable batteries. I always have a spare battery tucked away in my wallet 'just in case'. I've only needed it about half a dozen times, but it sure has been vital on those occasions.

Andre

sino8r

Sep 7, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Sadly this story appears to be legitimate. This article lists sources unlike the OP's one. All this info is from a HTC media event. http://androidandme.com/2012/04/sma..._campaign=Feed:+androidandme+(Android+and+Me)
Also, HTC scraped plans for higher mAh batteries for the One models. Saddens me cause we could add those in ourselves with a T5 screwdriver and 5 minutes worth of work. Plus, their reasoning is just plain stupid. http://androidandme.com/2012/04/news/htc-were-going-to-focus-on-thinness-not-battery-life/

I don't know about you guys but since Samsung has promised to move away from cheaper phone housings I may go with them (SGSIII) or even Motorola since they have qwerty models for now lol! I just can't support HTC anymore after this fiasco. We've had a nice almost 7 year period together (so no one can say I'm being silly) but I'm breaking up with this *****! Ever hear of the 7 year itch? Well I've got it bad! ;) Go f*ck yourself HTC!

Last edited:

TenMaKo

Apr 29, 2011
Toulouse
Because of you HTC this man tried to send a mail with one of those ****ty virtual keyboard !!!!

91px-Pendu.jpg

I couldn't make up my mind whether i should buy a One X or wait for a new HK device. They seem to have decided it for me but i'm really disappointed. I'm really tired that in all domain, money will always have the last word at the expense of users. Would it have been so hard to product a One Z ?!?

Last edited:

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
Wow, you guys really like your keyboards. I keep telling myself that I should try using just the virtual keyboard for a week, but it's just so much faster to flip open the hardware keyboard. I'm not a big fan of the alt-number keystrokes on the vision, but it's certainly workable.

I'm not ready to kick HTC to the curb yet. I'm waiting for a phone that really stands out and has the right combination of features, even if it costs $800.

GrievousMcG

Dec 6, 2011
Westside
Awww, that suxs! I'm hoping to replace my Desire Z within the next 3-4 months with another physical keyboard phone from them. Even if HTC reverse their decision down the track, it will take a good 6-7 months to bring out a good phone from scratch but that time I would have already got a replacement.

Anyhoo in saying that, I reckon that the least HTC can do for us is ask Qualcomm to release the camera source code to our talented developers here so they can develop custom ROMs with a full version of ICS. That should go a little way as a form of compensation for their crap business decision. :)

cucisan

Sep 3, 2007
hrm... the only good thing about the one series are the cams. thinness over batterylife my arse. nexus s lasts so much longer than my dz.
i guess then its byby htc... if motorola only would stop locking their bootloaders...

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
Here's a longer version of the quotes from HTC on this (source - Engadget). Importantly, HTC do acknowledge there's still a market for QWERTY :

When asked about whether we will see the QWERTY keyboard in future HTC devices, design firm One & Co's Claude Zellweger didn't seem to be a fan:

"As a company on the QWERTY keyboard we're sort of moving away from them in general."

But there's still hope. In response to whether there's still room for QWERTY keyboards in HTC's lineup, Claude said his team's just waiting:

"I think the market's there, the sort of the diehard community, they keep wanting it, there's definitely still a market for it. We feel that putting too much effort in that would take away from our main focus, being a whole-screen device. I think people recognize the trade-off with size. There are a couple of technologies that we are waiting to sort of mature that could make a big bump suddenly in the evolution, that we are looking at very closely."

Sent from my Desire Z running CM7.

Last edited:
Reactions: sino8r

TenMaKo

Apr 29, 2011
Toulouse
Here's a longer version of the quotes from HTC on this (source - Engadget). Importantly, HTC do acknowledge there's still a market for QWERTY :

That's stupid. Why didn't they release a One Z so people would have been able to update and then wait for new technologies to be ready ?
Our DZ is 2 years old and we will have to wait at least one more year (and i think one year is optimistic). Many people won't wait and will get a phone from another manufacturer.

ronmq

Dec 31, 2011
Madrid
Bad news for all the htc users, i hope they think again about that

Enviado desde mi HTC Vision usando Tapatalk 2

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
I'm very disappointed in HTC. Honestly, there's no keyboard phones left.
We are a dying breed for sure, if this keeps up

Last edited:

geojoking

Jan 14, 2012
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
It expains why they chose not to update the Desire Z to ICS, even if Sense 4.0A is more than capable of running on our device.

It's not that they don't want to make QWERTY phones anymore, they also want TO KILL the market along the way.

sino8r

Sep 7, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Thanks for finding the entire quote! Although it's totally contradictory, it does state that they aren't gonna stop making qwerty models but will not focus entirely on them either. I'm really not sure why they even made a statement since we all know qwertys are rare these days. I think it's just a non answer because the question was asked?:confused: My guess was that this was the media's way of asking "hey, are you gonna make a qwerty One model?" and HTC replies "Not now but maybe something later. We'll tell ya sometime AFTER the One series launches maybe. Muhuhhahhahahaha! Tiny batteries, limited storage, no buttons, not even a camera button! Next model may not even have a power button either! Any physical buttons are lame! We want our phones to be 3mm thick and fit snuggly in your feminine skinny jeans! We love Apple and wanna copy them! Mahahahaha!" Sorry for that but that's what I got from it. Who knows what's going to happen but my faith in HTC is dying. We can say that it doesn't look like we'll see a qwerty version of the One series anytime soon. Maybe with another model later in the year but I doubt many of us wanna wait especially with Samsung promising better building materials being used on phone housings like with the SGSIII. I know build quality is what kept alot of us from jumping ship. Maybe HTC will surprise us with something by the fall (Desire Z/G2's two year mark) but I'm not gonna hold my breath for anything. With our luck, it will end up being some lower end model like the ChaCha or something lol! I don't think HTC know what they are doing anymore. I think there is quite a bit of panic happening there financially ( http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...-70-after-dropping-the-ball-on-phones-1-.html) plus bad journalism by these tech blog writers that totally botched this story unlike Engadget. Here's the entire article in case anyone wanted it. http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/20/htc-talks-smartphone-design-from-inception-to-final-product/

Reactions: captainreynolds

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    They need a new desire Z-like phone based off the One S!!!

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA
    Almost as if they have caught the Nokia flu then?
    Panic, panic and then some panic? Let's hope they don't announce abandoning Android and betting everything on Microsoft and for example thin-thin phones.
    :rolleyes:
    Seriously, the hardware keyboard is not on it's way out. No way. When machines can read our minds maybe.

Bought my 2nd DZ (brand new) a few weeks ago :D , a phone without a physical keyboard isn't an option for me.
    Well, the statement in the article (even if its confirmed) doesn't make any claim to the length of time they are talking about (just "future plans"). If anything, HTC has shown in the past few months that they are willing to change direction quickly in order to compete. May very well only be a present and near future plan. And while this does seem to sink hopes of finding a suitable QWERTY replacement for the Z/G2 anytime soon, I have no doubt that HTC would quickly change this stance at a later time, if they had reason to believe there was good enough demand for phones with hardware keyboards.

As for competitors with QWERTY smartphones, just my opinion that all other manufacturers tend to disappoint me with their build quality. Motorola handsets often look great on paper, and even ok in photos, but always feel like cheap plasticky crap, with clunky keyboards once in hand. Similarly, Samsung and LG continue to feel lower in build quality to most HTC products.

But on that same note, its disappointing to see HTC take the "slimmer, lighter" route with their flagship One X line. Haven't actually held one in hand yet, but I have a feeling the polycarbonate body just isn't going to feel as sturdy as HTC's aluminum body designs. I've read a number complaints about the weight of aluminum body phones, and the popular trend is obviously thinner & lighter. But I actually like to have some heft to the phone. Aluminum body phones just look nicer, and feel more durable than skinny light plastic phones. And I don't understand why people make such a big deal about weight anyway. It doesn't make any difference when its sitting in your pocket. And if you get tired holding something that weighs a few ounces, you should probably exercise more.

There's only two on that list I like....on page 2... the desire z and g2

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA
    This wouldn't surprise me one bit. HTC has been making one stupid decision after the another. The One Series with non removable batteries or storage is extremely flawed thinking. I know they have been struggling lately compared to Samsung, Motorola, etc... But simplifying phones isn't the answer. Making fewer, more higher quality phones sounds good (and is something they should stick with) but not at the cost of losing features to make it 1mm thinner! Who knows with these stupid phone manufacturers though?! They might change their minds/direction again in a few months lol! I don't think they even know what they want! :D I'm really starting to lose faith in HTC whether this story is true or not.