[Q] What does it mean when ODIN MODE boots up into "Downloading..."

Search This thread

curiousmike

Mar 31, 2012
Nor Cal
I have a Tab 3 8.0 which I've done various installs with, and am trying to get back to stock.
But I can't, because when I enter recovery (power + down), ODIN MODE comes up with
Current Binary: Custom
Current Status: Custom

Downloading...
Do not turn off target !!

I've tried flashing stock firmware, other firmware, stock kernel etc.

I've read the process for going back to stock in the Tab 3 8.0 forum, but i think Odin (on PC) is failing because of the "Download..." state on the device.
(Also, when I try to run Kies it just continuously tries to connect to the device without success. The device will show up as media device in Win 7.)

odin.jpg

pengpengback

Feb 11, 2014
Shenzhen
I have a Tab 3 8.0 which I've done various installs with, and am trying to get back to stock.
But I can't, because when I enter recovery (power + down), ODIN MODE comes up with
Current Binary: Custom
Current Status: Custom

Downloading...
Do not turn off target !!

I've tried flashing stock firmware, other firmware, stock kernel etc.

I've read the process for going back to stock in the Tab 3 8.0 forum, but i think Odin (on PC) is failing because of the "Download..." state on the device.
(Also, when I try to run Kies it just continuously tries to connect to the device without success. The device will show up as media device in Win 7.)

odin.jpg

Why go back?
There are many costomed stock Roms in the development thread.
Download one of them ,then flash via recovery.

Brian D

Feb 18, 2014
Oceanside, Ca
If (or when) you press "V-down + power" and the screen image you have appears, then the device is ready for a download. If you go no further than that, you have booted into download mode. Nothing else. It will just sit there until you either reboot (hold power button down until display goes blank) or connect your device to your PC and download your OEM ROM.

Now, if (or when) you connect your PC and start ODIN's ROM download process, do not remove the USB cable, power off either the PC or the device, or you will end up doing serious (firmware) harm to your device.

curiousmike

Mar 31, 2012
Nor Cal
If (or when) you press "V-down + power" and the screen image you have appears, then the device is ready for a download. If you go no further than that, you have booted into download mode. Nothing else. It will just sit there until you either reboot (hold power button down until display goes blank) or connect your device to your PC and download your OEM ROM.

Now, if (or when) you connect your PC and start ODIN's ROM download process, do not remove the USB cable, power off either the PC or the device, or you will end up doing serious (firmware) harm to your device.

If that's the case, then I must have something wrong on the PC end now. ODIN ( on PC ) refuses to 'see' it as does KIES.
However, if I just plug it in without either of those programs running, it does show up in File Explorer and I can browse the folders on the device.

Brian D

Feb 18, 2014
Oceanside, Ca
If this were I having this problem, I would download the ODIN 3.07 again and use this new version. I would also reload my USB drivers. At least that would equalize everything with a fresh install. I would also go into TWRP and restore your last backup (that is if you have done a backup).

I have this old saying that got stuck in my head a long time ago; if it worked once, it will work again. Just be persistent and follow a methodical plan to get yourself back up and running.

curiousmike

Mar 31, 2012
Nor Cal
So, I had Philz Touch as the recovery - I installed the latest TWRP, then re-installed the stock firmware.

DownloadMode now no longer shows the text in the upper left (ODIN MODE/product/current/system).

1. If i boot the tablet all the way into android, then boot Odin, it will see the tablet and give it an ID (but I can't flash a firmware from here.)
2. If i boot the tablet into download mode, then boot Odin, Odin will *not* see the tablet.

Brian D

Feb 18, 2014
Oceanside, Ca
So, I had Philz Touch as the recovery - I installed the latest TWRP, then re-installed the stock firmware.

DownloadMode now no longer shows the text in the upper left (ODIN MODE/product/current/system).

1. If i boot the tablet all the way into android, then boot Odin, it will see the tablet and give it an ID (but I can't flash a firmware from here.)
2. If i boot the tablet into download mode, then boot Odin, Odin will *not* see the tablet.

So just trying to understand your process...

1. You power up the device with power + vdown to enter download mode. Is that correct?
2. If 1 is correct then you see "Downloading... Do not turn off target!!" and in the upper left you see ODIN MODE, or words to that effect?
3. If 1 & 2 are correct, you then connect the USB cable to your device and then connect to the PC.
4. Next you RIGHT CLICK on ODIN 3.0x and select "Run as administrator". (Assuming Windows based PC)
5. In ODIN, do you see ID:COM 0:[COMx] where x is a COM port? The box should be a blue color. In the Message box should be <ID:0/00x> Added!! where x equals the COM port.

Is this what you have when #2 of your post is done? As for #1, if you boot into Android, I do not believe you can really do anything with ODIN. I just booted my P5210 into normal operating and connect to my PC. I have access to the storage so I can move files to/from the device. I then started ODIN and get the same as step 5 above, but I am sure I cannot download anything. I did not take it any further that just opening ODIN.

curiousmike

Mar 31, 2012
Nor Cal
So just trying to understand your process...

2. If 1 is correct then you see "Downloading... Do not turn off target!!" and in the upper left you see ODIN MODE, or words to that effect?

Previously, with Philz Touch + "stock kernel" I saw ODIN MODE ( the screen capture in my first post. )

Now, after installing TWRP + "stock kernel", I do not see ODIN MODE, I just see the Downloading... Do not turn off target.

Brian D

Feb 18, 2014
Oceanside, Ca
OK... at this point I must throw in the towel. I see you are using Philz Touch which I have no idea what that is other than a "special" recovery. Plus you indicate "stock kernel" which I take to mean OEM ROM.

Sorry I can't help anymore. Gave it a college effort.

Reactions: curiousmike

curiousmike

Mar 31, 2012
Nor Cal
OK... at this point I must throw in the towel. I see you are using Philz Touch which I have no idea what that is other than a "special" recovery. Plus you indicate "stock kernel" which I take to mean OEM ROM.

Thanks man... I've been fumbling with trying to return stock for awhile now.

Brian D

Feb 18, 2014
Oceanside, Ca
I still think it is a USB driver issue. I don't think you need USB drivers to see the device as a USB external drive. I know I plug in and I go straight to the file system so I can move files to/from the Download folder and to/from the TWRP folder.

I go to Computer Management on my PC and when I plug in my device, I see the following two items appear

Modems - Samsung Mobile USB Modem
Portable Devices - My P5210 (this is where you will find the driver details)

Then, under Universal Serial Bus controllers I see the following - SAMSUNG Mobile USB Composite Devices

I am just still thinking about this, but I still am leaning toward USB drivers for your device on the PC.

Last edited:

curiousmike

Mar 31, 2012
Nor Cal
I'm digging what you're saying re: drivers... it makes the most sense since during download mode, it wouldn't be seen as a multimedia devicee.

This is what I see when plugging it in - while i'm running the system. (i.e., not recovery or download.)
my310.jpg

Brian D

Feb 18, 2014
Oceanside, Ca
And under the Portable Devices you double-clicked SM-T310 to reveal the drivers? Can you delete the drivers and then reinstall them?

And as a last resort, I hope you have a restoration file you can download into TWRP folder so you can restore back to your last known good state. Hope being the operative word. Some times I forget to do a backup before playing and end up having to restore from an older backup. :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.