Custom ROM for new device

Search This thread

Dantenas

Dec 14, 2008
Hi, I have new Prestigio tablet PMT5777_3G and I want to modify it's default ROM. I followed this tutorial: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1801690. I successfully extracted system folder, but I have no idea how to create updater-script for this specific ROM. If I understand correctly I need to get updater-script from original ROM.

I've got something that resembles original ROM, but it's folder structure is completely different from what I would expect.
I would expect:
  • META-INF
  • system
  • boot.img
I've got:
  • APDB_MT6582_S01_MAIN2.1_W10.24
  • boot-sign.img
  • BPLGUInfoCustomAppSrcP_MT6582_S00_MOLY_WR8_W1315_MD_WG_MP_V12_P4_1_wg_n
  • cache-sign.img
  • Checksum.ini
  • EBR1-sign
  • lk-sign.bin
  • logo-sign.bin
  • MBR-sign
  • MT6582_Android_scatter.txt
  • preloader_htt82_tb_jb5.bin
  • recovery-sign.img
  • secro-sign.img
  • system-sign.img
  • sro-lock-sign.img
  • sro-unlock-sign.img
  • userdata-sign.img

I'm an android developer, but have no experience with custom ROM's and now am in a situation, where I want to get that custom ROM up and running, but am unable, because I can't figure out how to create updater-script or extract it from files that I currently have. It would be great if someone could point me to the right direction of what to do next.

Thanks
P. S. It seems it's against the rules to ask questions here, but I can't seem to find where else to ask this on xda :confused:

dev27

Jun 12, 2014
Ooty
Hi, I have new Prestigio tablet PMT5777_3G and I want to modify it's default ROM. I followed this tutorial: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1801690. I successfully extracted system folder, but I have no idea how to create updater-script for this specific ROM. If I understand correctly I need to get updater-script from original ROM.

I've got something that resembles original ROM, but it's folder structure is completely different from what I would expect.
I would expect:
  • META-INF
  • system
  • boot.img
I've got:
  • boot-sign.img
  • cache-sign.img
  • Checksum.ini
  • EBR1-sign
  • lk-sign.bin
  • logo-sign.bin
  • MBR-sign
  • recovery-sign.img
  • secro-sign.img
  • system-sign.img
  • sro-lock-sign.img
  • sro-unlock-sign.img
  • userdata-sign.img

I'm an android developer, but have no experience with custom ROM's and now am in a situation, where I want to get that custom ROM up and running, but am unable, because I can't figure out how to create updater-script or extract it from files that I currently have. It would be great if someone could point me to the right direction of what to do next.

Thanks
P. S. It seems it's against the rules to ask questions here, but I can't seem to find where else to ask this on xda :confused:

Since you are a beginner to ROM development, I would recommend the use of dsixda's Android kitchen, which you probably have downloaded already. If not use this link
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=633246

Follow these steps to obtain the file structure and Meta-Inf folder for your custom rom.
1. Open the folder where you have placed the kitchen.
2. You will find a folder called original_update.
3. Open that folder and copy your boot.img and system.img files into it. ( In your case it is boot-sign.img and system-sign.img. Rename those files into boot.img and system.img and place them in the folder )
4. Now open the kitchen. ( Refer the above link to know how to do it )
5. You will find " 1. Set up working folder from ROM " option under Main Menu.
6. Type 1 and you will be directed to another menu. Click Enter.
7. Select your boot.img and system.img from the menu.
8. Now follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
9. When you successfully complete the steps, you will have the required Working folder, with boot.img, system folder and Meta-Inf folder, which will contain the updater-script (It will be automatically generated)

All the best. :good:

Hit Thanks if this helped you... PM me if you need further help or search the forum for detailed instructions. :D

Reactions: Dantenas

Dantenas

Dec 14, 2008
Thanks, this helped me, but I still can't create ROM.
I encountered a problem with kitchen:
Code:
Available ROMs:

(1) system.img and boot.img

Enter selection number (default=1, cancel=0, r=refresh): 

Found original_update/system.img
Found original_update/boot.img

The new working folder will be named WORKING_061614_070841
Change the name (y/n)? (default: n): 

Creating working folder WORKING_061614_070841 ...
Copying boot.img ...
Copying system.img ...

Adding an update-script ...

NON-YAFFS/NON-TAR FILE FORMAT DETECTED IN ROM

Mounting system.img to loopback device and then extracting files ...
Error: Unable to mount system.img

Error: No /system/framework folder found!

Press Enter to continue

This creates my missing update-script and boot.img, but system folder is empty.
Would it be a good idea to extract all system files from device and attempt to create ROM with them, and this update-script, or is there something I could do with system.img to make it extract?

dev27

Jun 12, 2014
Ooty
Try this

Don't worry. There's always an alternative. Try this simple method.

1. Boot into CWM (Clockwork Mod) Recovery. (I'm pretty sure you know how to do it, if not, you can feel free to search the forum)
2. Choose Backup and Restore.
3. Make a backup in your external sdcard.
4. Now boot normally, open your external sdcard. You will find a folder called clockworkmod. Copy that folder to your PC.
5. Inside that folder, you will find the backup.
6. Now, copy boot.img and system.ext4.tar.a to your original_update folder of the kitchen.
7. Warning! Do not copy system.ext4.tar, only copy system.ext4.tar.a
8. Once you have copied these two files, rename system.ext4.tar.a into system.ext4.tar
9. Now, open android kitchen and follow the exact same steps as you did before.
10. When you choose the available rom, you will find the screen as below.

Code:
Available Roms:

(1)  system.ext4.tar and boot.img

11. Choose it and follow the instructions. You will have your required working folder.

Try this and let me know if you still face any issues. :good:

Reactions: Dantenas

Dantenas

Dec 14, 2008
I was unable to load CWM recovery, because it is not supported by my device. I tried TWRP too, which also doesn't support my device. Is it possible to do without CWM?

dev27

Jun 12, 2014
Ooty
I was unable to load CWM recovery, because it is not supported by my device. I tried TWRP too, which also doesn't support my device. Is it possible to do without CWM?

I'm sorry my friend, even if you create your own ROM, you require either one of them to flash the ROM to your device. Seeing you so keen on developing the rom, try to use any yaffs tool to create your system.img from extracted system folder. You may refer this thread.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1645412

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I would expect:
    • META-INF
    • system
    • boot.img
    I've got:
    • boot-sign.img
    • cache-sign.img
    • Checksum.ini
    • EBR1-sign
    • lk-sign.bin
    • logo-sign.bin
    • MBR-sign
    • recovery-sign.img
    • secro-sign.img
    • system-sign.img
    • sro-lock-sign.img
    • sro-unlock-sign.img
    • userdata-sign.img

Thanks

Since you are a beginner to ROM development, I would recommend the use of dsixda's Android kitchen, which you probably have downloaded already. If not use this link
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=633246

Follow these steps to obtain the file structure and Meta-Inf folder for your custom rom.
    1. Open the folder where you have placed the kitchen.
    2. You will find a folder called original_update.
    3. Open that folder and copy your boot.img and system.img files into it. ( In your case it is boot-sign.img and system-sign.img. Rename those files into boot.img and system.img and place them in the folder )
    4. Now open the kitchen. ( Refer the above link to know how to do it )
    5. You will find " 1. Set up working folder from ROM " option under Main Menu.
    6. Type 1 and you will be directed to another menu. Click Enter.
    7. Select your boot.img and system.img from the menu.
    8. Now follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
    9. When you successfully complete the steps, you will have the required Working folder, with boot.img, system folder and Meta-Inf folder, which will contain the updater-script (It will be automatically generated)

All the best. :good:

Hit Thanks if this helped you... PM me if you need further help or search the forum for detailed instructions. :D
    Try this

Don't worry. There's always an alternative. Try this simple method.

1. Boot into CWM (Clockwork Mod) Recovery. (I'm pretty sure you know how to do it, if not, you can feel free to search the forum)
    2. Choose Backup and Restore.
    3. Make a backup in your external sdcard.
    4. Now boot normally, open your external sdcard. You will find a folder called clockworkmod. Copy that folder to your PC.
    5. Inside that folder, you will find the backup.
    6. Now, copy boot.img and system.ext4.tar.a to your original_update folder of the kitchen.
    7. Warning! Do not copy system.ext4.tar, only copy system.ext4.tar.a
    8. Once you have copied these two files, rename system.ext4.tar.a into system.ext4.tar
    9. Now, open android kitchen and follow the exact same steps as you did before.
    10. When you choose the available rom, you will find the screen as below.

Code:
    Available Roms:

(1)  system.ext4.tar and boot.img

11. Choose it and follow the instructions. You will have your required working folder.

Try this and let me know if you still face any issues. :good: