[Q] After chmod 755, system still won't mount as R/W.....

Search This thread

countryboy092782

Aug 3, 2012
San Marcos, Tx
Alright, I'm running CyanogenMod 11 with TWRP as my recovery. When I try to change my build.prop it tells me that the action is not allowed because the system folder is mounted as Read only and not as R/W. I have tried using the chmod syntax 755 while in recovery but, after rebooting nothing has changed. Using my file manager (Solid Explorer) I have tried changing the permissions to be R/W by using the same chmod syntax. What have I done or am I doing wrong? I have never crossed this issue before with any other ROM or phone and I would like to add some additional speed and smoothness tweaks to the ROM build.prop. Have I tried another ROM to see if the same thing continues to happen? Nope, I sure haven't. If I did though and something magically changes to where it would begin working using another ROM, I still would not know how to fix the issue that I'm faced with now. Will ya please help? Thank you for your time in advance as well!

mindmajick

Account currently disabled
The drive isn't being mounted by solid Explorer as read/write. I'm not familiar with the app so can't explain how to do it but it may be in the options somewhere or a button on the screen.

You could try es file Explorer. It's free and works for me.

-> Sent from my mind to your screen.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Reactions: gregsarg

countryboy092782

Aug 3, 2012
San Marcos, Tx
Well, I just tried ES File Explorer and it said that I'm mounted as R/W on my system folder, same as it did on Solid Explorer, yet once I try to alter anything I still receive the same "Operation Failed......System Mounted as Read Only" message. I have even switched ROM's to see if maybe, just maybe, it was some sort of CM 11 bug. Everywhere I look online says to correct it through my recovery and since that doesn't work..........? I'm at a bit of a loss now! I have granted both file managers Superuser rights. Hell my Superuser auto-response is always set to grant all apps that permission. And as far as the form of Superuser I'm using goes, I'm just sticking with the CM stock Superuser because whenever I attempt to use SuperSU all sorts of stuff begins to fail.

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Is your SD card formatted as FAT32....or EXFAT...???

Needs a possible format again it sounds like....IMHO..g

Sent from my NOTE 2.750...
Courtesy of our amazing developers...

countryboy092782

Aug 3, 2012
San Marcos, Tx
Haven't thought about it possibly being my SD's format being that I am trying to access my systems files (i.e.- build.prop, system apps, etc.) and not the external SD Card, but what the hell?! I reckon I can always give it a shot. Could very well be that simple since I just dropped $100.00 on a stupid Lexar 64 Gig. Micro SD about the same time this issue arose. Hope so even if i do end up feeling like a dumb ass later on. It's getting annoying! I've tried several different ROM's, file managers, running syntax in the emulator, and anything else I could dig up now and this isn't quite my first Android experience, still relatively new though, so I know I'm not flashing anything wrong or outta the ordinary. Give me bit to take care of some every day life crap and I'll report my findings back to ya.

countryboy092782

Aug 3, 2012
San Marcos, Tx
Dead serious, I did not do anything different whatsoever and it began to allow me to change permissions on my system files or whatever else I wished to do to it......?! No Earthly idea what was/did go on for it not to allow me to for the time it didn't, but outta nowhere, as I said, it is working again. I did wipe and flash numerous ROM's without any luck and even had flashed the one that it is working on now, but it didn't work the first or second time I flashed it. Never even got the chance to reformat my SD Card. Hell, I don't know.....!

SchefMarcus

Mar 10, 2013
Chatsworth
Dead serious, I did not do anything different whatsoever and it began to allow me to change permissions on my system files or whatever else I wished to do to it......?! No Earthly idea what was/did go on for it not to allow me to for the time it didn't, but outta nowhere, as I said, it is working again. I did wipe and flash numerous ROM's without any luck and even had flashed the one that it is working on now, but it didn't work the first or second time I flashed it. Never even got the chance to reformat my SD Card. Hell, I don't know.....!

Running Jellywiz Extreme Rom 4.3 for my Note 2 on Verizon, and ever since i updated it to 4.3 on an unstable original ROM (Davidson3680's OG 4.3 ROM pre-2014), i havent been able to mount system as R/W.

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
I keep coming back to the possibility that in both of these recent cases that the file structure is somehow corrupted...

A possible 4.3 return to stock using Zen Arcades 4.3 stock rom may correct the file issues and restore the external functionality...

I'm still perplexed about the differences in flashing success based on whether or not a user has taken an official 4.3 update versus a user who has not...and the variables in function using the exact same software's...

The Zen thread method seems to be the stable and reliable way back to full function...or at least the best way to build the file structures back within their respective partitions...

We are playing very near the partition level...but I don't think it's a partition/pit issue....rather the broken file structure inside...

I'd be interested in the results of that test using Zen's files in the attempt to repair the files...and path to the SD...

If you are willing to try that...and meet success...it would solve a good half dozen device issues across different users in one pass....g

Sent from my NOTE 2.750...
Courtesy of our amazing developers...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The drive isn't being mounted by solid Explorer as read/write. I'm not familiar with the app so can't explain how to do it but it may be in the options somewhere or a button on the screen.

You could try es file Explorer. It's free and works for me.

-> Sent from my mind to your screen.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
    Haven't thought about it possibly being my SD's format being that I am trying to access my systems files (i.e.- build.prop, system apps, etc.) and not the external SD Card, but what the hell?! I reckon I can always give it a shot. Could very well be that simple since I just dropped $100.00 on a stupid Lexar 64 Gig. Micro SD about the same time this issue arose. Hope so even if i do end up feeling like a dumb ass later on. It's getting annoying! I've tried several different ROM's, file managers, running syntax in the emulator, and anything else I could dig up now and this isn't quite my first Android experience, still relatively new though, so I know I'm not flashing anything wrong or outta the ordinary. Give me bit to take care of some every day life crap and I'll report my findings back to ya.