[ICONS][GUIDE] Creating Mask Based Icon Themes (with Example)

Search This thread

bdjnk

Jul 15, 2010
I've only created two icon packs, but they seem to work, so I'll take you through my process.

The first thing to research is how mask based icons work in general. There's a dearth of good information, but I did find the Icons Special Features section of the ADW Theming Guide to be useful. Alternatively, you can follow along and examine my images to gain an understanding of what I've done.

Let's proceed.

I began with mathur's Icon-Pack Template, but I've modified it to fit my needs by removing unnecessary bits and the parts relating to non-mask based icon packs. See the attached example, Crinkle.zip

Once you've downloaded Crinkle.zip and imported the code into eclipse, there are several things you'll need to alter:

First, you must rename the package. This can be done by doing one (or both) these actions:
[project (context menu)] > Android Tools > Rename Application Package
[package (context menu)] > Refactor > Rename​
Second, ensure the correct scale factor. This can be found in two places:
assets / appfilter.xml
res / xml / appfilter.xml​
Third, make sure your informational strings are correct. There are two locations:
res / values / strings.xml
res / values / theme_config.xml​
Fourth, and most important, add your own icons. These can be found in res / drawable-xhdpi, and they are:
icon.png - the application icon
iconback.png - the background image
iconmask.png - the transparency / opacity mask
iconupon.png - the overlay image
Now test it out.

My finished icon pack is live on Google Play under the title Crinkle Icon Theme.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Crinkle.zip
    326.5 KB · Views: 539
  • Crinkle.png
    Crinkle.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,329
  • crinkle-desktop.jpg
    crinkle-desktop.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 1,506
  • crinkle-drawer.jpg
    crinkle-drawer.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 1,388

1rdc

May 25, 2014
This looks great, but how would you create a mask for making all the icons black and white? Something like this:

com.seangrondin.icons.filmstripdesaturate (sorry i can't post links yet :p)

I want to make a sepia themed icon mask.

Thanks

Last edited:

1rdc

May 25, 2014
error

Also, I'm getting an error as soon as I import.
Is there a way to make this target api 10 instead of api 19?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 210

bdjnk

Jul 15, 2010
This looks great, but how would you create a mask for making all the icons black and white? Something like this:

Thanks

I looked into it a bit, and here's what I've discovered. If you include a res/xml/shader.xml file, you will be able to affect the color in at least Apex and Nova. I found a fairly detailed explanation that should help you get started.

I will soon update the original post to include more details about this, as well as a cleaner icon pack framework.

Reactions: SpaceMan013

1rdc

May 25, 2014
How do I make it compatible with Smart Launcher? The icon pack applies but the shader doesn't work and the theme doesn't show up under "Themes"

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've only created two icon packs, but they seem to work, so I'll take you through my process.

The first thing to research is how mask based icons work in general. There's a dearth of good information, but I did find the Icons Special Features section of the ADW Theming Guide to be useful. Alternatively, you can follow along and examine my images to gain an understanding of what I've done.

Let's proceed.

I began with mathur's Icon-Pack Template, but I've modified it to fit my needs by removing unnecessary bits and the parts relating to non-mask based icon packs. See the attached example, Crinkle.zip

Once you've downloaded Crinkle.zip and imported the code into eclipse, there are several things you'll need to alter:

First, you must rename the package. This can be done by doing one (or both) these actions:
    [project (context menu)] > Android Tools > Rename Application Package
    [package (context menu)] > Refactor > Rename​
    Second, ensure the correct scale factor. This can be found in two places:
    assets / appfilter.xml
    res / xml / appfilter.xml​
    Third, make sure your informational strings are correct. There are two locations:
    res / values / strings.xml
    res / values / theme_config.xml​
    Fourth, and most important, add your own icons. These can be found in res / drawable-xhdpi, and they are:
    icon.png - the application icon
    iconback.png - the background image
    iconmask.png - the transparency / opacity mask
    iconupon.png - the overlay image
    Now test it out.

My finished icon pack is live on Google Play under the title Crinkle Icon Theme.

Enjoy!

Thanks

I looked into it a bit, and here's what I've discovered. If you include a res/xml/shader.xml file, you will be able to affect the color in at least Apex and Nova. I found a fairly detailed explanation that should help you get started.

I will soon update the original post to include more details about this, as well as a cleaner icon pack framework.