[Q] Looking for a device...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
What's up all.

So here's my thought... Is there a device out there to plug into a TV's HDMI port that will let me send video files wirelessly to it from my phone/computer so that I can watch the videos on the big screen instead of my phone/computer screen?

A few ideas:

- Is there a HDMI-to-bluetooth adapter/dongle that I could plug into the TV and send the videos bluetooth-ly to?

- Is there a HDMI-"SmartTV-creating" adapter (I've seen things like "Android mini pc"s on the 'net) that I could use to transform my TV into a SmartTV or an android "tablet/computer-like-device" and then send the video files from one device to the other? i.e. - devices like this one... http://www.amazon.com/UG007B-Quad-C...d=1389321213&sr=8-13&keywords=android+mini+pc with a wireless keyboard as well of course, and using either bluetooth or a wifi signal to send from my phone/computer to either stream, or transfer the file then watch.

- From what I know the Chromecast device at this time cannot do this, and only works for specific apps like HBO GO, Netflix, Hulu, etc., not for sending straight video files stored on a phone/tablet, but are there other such devices out there that do what I am looking to do?

Thanks all in advance for the help!

chan.sk

Dec 22, 2012
Singapore
Apart from all the other proprietary sets on the market, the wi-fi (802.11/...) USB dongle appear to be an easy way to connect your mobile/laptop/TV to the TV set. The disadvantage is the short range of about 10 feet, unless you use a wi-fi access point to extend the distance range.

On the TV side, attach a HDMI dongle

On a PC, attach wi-fi USB dongle. I think you will need a streaming software.

On a tablet, attach a OTG (On-The-Go) mini-USB-to-USB adapter and then the wi-fi USB dongle. Again, I would think you need a streaming software.

On a mobile phone, it will be more of a challenge. You could do wired-wireless combo:
Phone-to-computer using screen capture application (wi-fi, USB or Bluetooth), then Computer-to-TV via the wi-fi USB option above.

Interesting read:
http://techchannel.radioshack.com/wirelessly-connect-pc-tv-2561.html

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
Thanks for the ideas, and I agree that link was an interesting read.

After thinking, I think the way I'll go about this is using Google Drive and an Android mini pc TV adapter. I can drop the video files (or whatever) into the drive on my computer or phone, then sync my TV Android to get the files to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.