[ion] garbled scratchy sound when making phone calls

Search This thread

Spectre51

This was being discussed in a unrelated thread so I am starting this one so we can try to figure out what is causing it and who is having this issue.

Basically on stock LT28i. 68 firmware and on LT28h 3.7 firmware I have experienced a garbled scratchy sound when trying to make phone calls. Only thing I have found so far that fixes it is a reboot.

Who else has experienced this issue? I would like to get some more troubleshooting done with everyone before I pass the info along to my Sony Dev contact.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ ion

-DM-

Dec 17, 2010
This was being discussed in a unrelated thread so I am starting this one so we can try to figure out what is causing it and who is having this issue.

Basically on stock LT28i. 68 firmware and on LT28h 3.7 firmware I have experienced a garbled scratchy sound when trying to make phone calls. Only thing I have found so far that fixes it is a reboot.

Who else has experienced this issue? I would like to get some more troubleshooting done with everyone before I pass the info along to my Sony Dev contact.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ ion

Happened to me once...didn't think it was a known bug though, this was after I flashed the pre-rooted 6.1.E.3.7...tried to make a few calls when I realized that weird sound, but I could receive calls just fine...did a reboot and back to normal so I didn't think twice about it until I saw your post.

lagunabrooks

Nov 10, 2010
Laguna Beach
This happens to me several times a week. Since I updated to the latest firmware for the lt28i. Since, upgraded to the latest lt28h, and still have the same issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-24-06-24-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-24-06-24-40.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 251
J

johnbyebye

Exact thing happened to me. Only on the international firmware.

Sent from my Optimus G

zackspeed

Aug 28, 2010
Asheville, NC
I have also run into this. I go to pick up a call or make one and you get all kinds of garble and squeal. I dont recall it ever doing it on the first ICS H firmware but every I and H firmware from then does. Cant say the ATT ones do it as I have never really used them. The only time it seems to do it is when the battery is under 20% or if the device has been on for more than 24 hours with out a re boot.

yik12

Jan 28, 2013
Note: I'm on AT&T's network.

I too had this problem when I flashed my LT28at to the LT28i 6.1.E.2.68 build. It appeared to go away for a long while after I reflashed only the modem found in LT28at 6.1.C.1.105 using flashtool. (note: it "appeared" to go away. I don't get very many voice calls...)

Had a failed OTA update the other day which seems to have brought back the initial problems but I cannot verify anything as I am currently at work. A reboot has my phone operating correctly (for now). Will mess with it more later but, from what I read, the lack of reproducibility of this issue may make troubleshooting difficult.

0000alex0000

Nov 25, 2010
i had this issue while i was using the international firmwares as well.. flashed back to att firmware and no more such issue
i am using lt28at on att network, i think it's either an att thing or it's lt28at that doesn't support international firmware well enough

Spectre51

i had this issue while i was using the international firmwares as well.. flashed back to att firmware and no more such issue
i am using lt28at on att network, i think it's either an att thing or it's lt28at that doesn't support international firmware well enough

Lt28i is the same phone as lt28at. I think it's something with the lt28i firmware and at&t network. Maybe at&t did some updates that the lt28i firmware doesn't like.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ S

Recon Freak

Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, IN
I am using lt28h 6.3.7 build and have this issue. I don't recall having this issue with lt28i firmwares. It's annoying so I may go stock or back to I firmware.

Sent from my LT28h using xda premium

Gloff

Jul 1, 2012
I also experience this on att network using .68 lt28i firmware happens once a day until I reboot I usually leave the phone on all the time which leads me to believe this is a few am issue or some sort of cache issue.

tribalartgod

May 12, 2010
Right here
I too get this periodically. Attached is my phone info. (LT28at) ...Just yesterday, for the very first time, I also experience a volume phasing. I have not experienced this before on this ROM. Thought that might be relevant to this discussion as well.

Phasing = Volume Swell...Almost like someone is holding a volume knob and turning the volume all the way down, then back up. A reboot was the only thing to fix it.

Edit: Forgot to mention...I am not directly on ATT. Indirectly through StraighTalk.

JaredP

Dec 16, 2010
Ventura
I assumed this was a Google Voice issue and reinstalled it. I have continued to have the problem though. I am on an AT&T phone, flashed to the LT28i 6.1.E.2.68 build and rooted. It sounds like that movie White Noise where the dead communicate through phone static. I have noted that the phone was on for more than 24 hours a couple of times during the incidents, but am not sure if that is the case every time. I don't make a lot of calls though so it could be more consistent than I am aware.

Sent from my LT28i using xda premium