*Root the Slide & Other HTC Devices*6/15/2010* How-To Updated 8/14/2010

Search This thread

richierich118

Jul 9, 2009
Nothing I tried to start the whole process over and now my computer won't see my device as offline so I cannot start from the begining I dunno what to do now

marvinp

Nov 12, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I'm also trying to root this on a mac. What sdcard did you use? And is the mac way to root any different that the other ways described here?

This is driving me crazy...

I just keep getting the same result no matter how I try, the phone does not show up in loop, ever at all except when it's actually on, which doesn't help
Make sure you have debugging mode on on your phone (it's under Settings > Applications > Development). For the my first Slide, I couldn't get it rooted. I tried 2 days and couldn't get it to work. I finally went to Wal Mart and picked up an 8GB PNY Class 4 SD Card. I rooted it in a few hours after I got the new card (which I formatted to FAT 32 on a Windows machine). I used the same SD Card for my new Slide.

williamwright

Jun 26, 2010
Palm Bay, Fl
Here is a loop.bat file I made to do this all for you so your don't have to type anything. Just plug in your phone when your ready to try and root your phone and you have your phone in the bootloader menu. You might get an error saying "error: no device found" but don't worry because when you start adb in usb mode it will look for your phone and if its not plugged in you get this error.
Just replace the loop file you have with mine. It does nothing but run the console commands in my above post.

How can I turn this loop.bat file into loop.sh file.

Thanks,
William

Nov 17, 2007
Ok, after tirelessly trying for more than 1,000 times:mad::mad::mad::mad:, i finally have root:D:D. After reading through all the 69 pages, I finally did it. This is what I did and it worked for me:

Boot into boot loader
Open command prompt
cd c:\android\tools
from phone, select recovery and press power
in command prompt, typed adb devices
I got this message:
c:\Android\tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
HT05NPS04355 offline

Then, unplugged usb and plugged back in

in command prompt, typed adb devices
I got this message:
c:\Android\tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
HT05NPS04355 recovery

then followed the tutorial from step 8 to 20.

Now I'm on my way to flash a rom!! Hopefully this help you guys as it did for me. Good Luck!!:D:D

This is what did it for me. A well timed "adb devices" worked like a charm, while the loop script would show the device offline for a second and then clear it out.

I got the device today, spent about an hour or so working through other suggestions, and working backwords through the thread. I think this post could be the magic bullet. I timed my "adb devices" to be about 2 or 3 seconds after hitting power to boot into recovery. You may want to use the loop script to find the proper timing.

Last edited:

Henchmin

Sep 5, 2009
Oakland
This is what did it for me. A well timed "adb devices" worked like a charm, while the loop script would show the device offline for a second and then clear it out.

I got the device today, spent about an hour or so working through other suggestions, and working backwords through the thread. I think this post could be the magic bullet. I timed my "adb devices" to be about 2 or 3 seconds after hitting power to boot into recovery. You may want to use the loop script to find the proper timing.

I'm able to time it right enough to get offline, but once I unplug and replug, it's not in recovery

Bo0r

Jun 3, 2009
What i did was

1. Use USBDeview to uninstall all of the Mytouch slide drivers
2. Unplug MyTouch from PC
3. Install the PDANet software for Android (free version) on your computer. 32bit and 64bit available on their site.
4. When prompted, plug in your slide.
5. After you get successful report of drivers being installed and program then start from step 1 of the rooting guide.

and it worked like a charm. Took me one try after i installed PDANet.

Last edited:

Henchmin

Sep 5, 2009
Oakland
Just keep trying and you will get it. you tried the new loop correct with a battery pull? I had been working on mine since it came out on the 15th.

Ya. Tried that. 5 different SD cards, two laptops, reinstalled drivers on both, nada. With the new loop, I do see offline mode longer it seems but not by much

edit: spellllin HUR HUR

Last edited:

nomadrider123

Feb 11, 2010
MN
Ya. Tried that. 5 different SD cards, two laptops, reinstalled drivers on both, nada. With the new loop, I do see offline mode longer it seems but not by much

edit: spellllin HUR HUR

I have been there... is you phone set up for usb debbuging? Oh and my connection type was set on charging only not sync nor disk drive

c-phresh

Jul 8, 2009
houston
completed all the steps listed and i was able to install the superuser.apk but when i adb shell in the cmd prompt i get the $ and type SU but it keeps saying permission denied and there isnt a notification on my phone to accept su request or anything... im stuck here please help! :mad: :(

NTree45

Mar 27, 2010
PORTLAND
the only problem im having is the timing of the command and hitting "apply sdcard: update.zip"

when i enter that in, all i get is the bar for 1 or 2 seconds then

E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

im able to get offline/recovery about 50% of the time but after that i hit the verification wall

Edit: the power of this forum is amazing!!!!!! just got root :) it was all in the timing

Last edited:

aznknightz17

Apr 12, 2010
Atlanta, GA
wat did u do? still cant get mine to pass the verification ****. Tried immediately, 2 seconds, 3 seconds, green bar moving, after selecting update.zip. NOttin worked. Sigh i freaking give up hope.

RKLamb2

Jun 27, 2010
I got it to work

I used the link for the slide in addition to what this guy said. You have to pop out the sd card as soon as you hit down to go into boot. Then when you run the loop file hit control C once it find your device after that its a piece of cake.

civicdrivr

Aug 19, 2009
completed all the steps listed and i was able to install the superuser.apk but when i adb shell in the cmd prompt i get the $ and type SU but it keeps saying permission denied and there isnt a notification on my phone to accept su request or anything... im stuck here please help! :mad: :(

Did you make sure you mounted the system when you got into ClockWork? I missed that step too.

judicious

Nov 2, 2008
Bay Area, CA
I think o rooted but o can't use root settings on estrong file or titanium back up..said I have no permissions and I need to have root on Rom or bb ..it does say cid 0 and # for Su check...what am I doing wrong..I can't install root app from marketplave

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just replaced the update.zip and started in recovery, launched update.zip and all seemed fine. I already had root though and I have my sd card full so I can't try a2sd or sdparted yet but it seemed to run fine.

Sent from my ROOTED myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App
    Go to theunlockr.com and type in adb setup and start there.