[HOWTO] Change PRL on Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V (5/06/2011)

Search This thread

Kerivkennedy

Jul 10, 2011
Durham, NC
I got the new Optimus Slider for Christmas, and one of the things my husband told me to do is to update to the PRL per the instructions on XDA. Okay, no problem. But umm - it doesn't seem to work quite right for this phone as near as I can tell.

I've tried logging onto my virgin mobile account and clicking the link, as instructed. I can not find any kind of MSL #.
So I figured okay, maybe the old way? Alas the file out there for CDMA workshop is a new one - but I tried that download anyhow. But even that couldn't talk to my phone.

I know this is a newer phone, so I don't know if that has anything to do with why these techniques aren't working quite right.

I'm hoping that someone with this phone can help me out.

So far I'm loving my new toy.

(Can I presume that any further questions I have regarding this phone go under LG Optimus One, P500, V forum since there isn't any grouping that includes the slider? But the slider is simply an update to the V? Just not sure - but it is a Virgin Mobile phone)

kwkbnk

Nov 28, 2011
The Optimus V and Optimus Slider have different hardware. I wouldn't try most things meant for the V on your slider. Since they are both Qualcomm based the PRL update might work on the Slider but I've never used the slider so I don't know if this method will work or not. I can tell you getting your MSL code from Virgin Mobile's website never worked for me. I had to end up using CDMA workshop with my phone booted into recovery to get my MSL code. I updated the PRL on my Optimus V but I don't see any advantages over my wife's V which is stock. Might be the area I live in too.

The Slider doesn't have it's own forum yet that I know of. I guess until it does you could post your questions in the General Forum. I don't think there is a big following for that phone yet here is prob why it doesn't have it's own forum. I know AC has a slider forum you might want to look at:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/virgin-mobile-optimus-slider/

Sorry I couldn't be of a bit more help for your question but just wanted to let you know that the hardware changes may affect using this method to update your PRL since it's meant for the Optimus V.

Reactions: Kerivkennedy

Kerivkennedy

Jul 10, 2011
Durham, NC
Does it matter that the current CMDA workshop is a newer program?
If yes - than buried in the pages of this thread is there the zip (rar) file for the one listed in the instructions.

I'll just try the CDMA workshop way again (perhaps once I'm not so sick - trying to follow these types of instructions when running a fever is not a good idea)

kwkbnk

Nov 28, 2011
I used the newer version of CDMA on my Optimus V with no issues. This method may not work on the slider due to the difference in hardware but like I said I haven't used the slider yet to know if it works or not. You could try asking in the general forum or over in the slider forum to see if anyone has any info on updating the sliders prl.

kwkbnk

Nov 28, 2011
Some people say it does, others say it doesn't. When I changed mine I didn't see much difference but I'm in a rural area with not so great coverage. Guess if your up to it you could change yours to see if it helps

monkeysez

Jan 24, 2012
I updated my PRL to 60683 and have not noticed a difference. At work, my bars still hover at 1-0. :(

monkeysez

Jan 24, 2012
For some reason after flashing PRL 60683, even though I have my network to home only... it still connects to a tower that i am not authorized to use. Data works, but sms/mms/phone does not. Any suggestions?

exProphecy

Aug 1, 2011
If I update to the latest Sprint PRL 60683, does that mean I no longer connect to the Virgin Mobile towers? Or are the towers all one and the same?

Last edited:

exProphecy

Aug 1, 2011
So I updated to the 60683 sprint PRL and now people aren't receiving my texts. I'm also not receiving theirs. Until now I am slowly receiving texts from like six hours ago. My friends are also telling me they are getting my texts one by one every hour or so. I am set to home only. What's going on?

Curiousn00b

So I updated to the 60683 sprint PRL and now people aren't receiving my texts. I'm also not receiving theirs. Until now I am slowly receiving texts from like six hours ago. My friends are also telling me they are getting my texts one by one every hour or so. I am set to home only. What's going on?

VM is having a outage. Its been like this all day. Goto Android Central and read info on a thread therw.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: exProphecy

admiralnorman

Nov 23, 2010
Buffalo, NY
LG Optimus Slider

I was able to get this set up on the Optimus Slider using the instructions in the OP.

I don't see a difference in signal strength, but that was never an issue.

I was hoping this would allow me to activate Google Voice. But it did not. I am sadface.

bloodbath

May 5, 2007
Are the PRLs area specific and if so, where would I find the latest for California? Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I saw this information posted elsewhere in pieces and thought I'd bring it together. I didn't make this procedure, but I can confirm that it works (and so can many others now). This is absolutely for the LG Optimus V and no other phone. Do not do this unless you understand what a PRL is and why you are doing it. There is some risk in doing this. I'm sure Virgin and Sprint would not be happy to know of this mod. It might even be blocked in the future by changing the way Sprint's towers filters Virgin users. Do this at your own risk! I take no responsibility!

1. Requirements:

Windows
    LG Optimus V USB Serial Drivers (updated 3/22/2011)
    Read the first few pages of this thread if you have driver issues. You can also try this. Thank you rjones1981.

You don't need to have a rooted phone to do this.

2. Get Your MSL Code:

New Technique (thanks to mmarz)
    1. Log into your Virgin Mobile account.
    2. Click this link
    3. Although you get a 404 error page, search the page for "msl:"
    4. The six numbers after msl: are your MSL code. Write them down.

Old Technique
    1. Download CDMA Workshop 3.6.0 Demo
    2. Turn on USB Debugging, and connect your phone to your PC.
    3. Open Device Manager.
    4. Ports > LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port > Properties > Port Settings > Advanced > COM port number
    5. Change the value to a port number below 10. (demo restriction of CDMA Workshop)
    6. Run CDMA Workshop
    7. Select the proper port from step 4. Hit "Connect."
    8. Under the "Security" tab, find "SPC/User Lock."
    9. Change the drop down menu to "LG method," and click "Read."
    10. Write down the number that appears in the box. This is your MSL code. Now close CDMA Workshop, we won't need it anymore.

3. Update Your PRL:
    1. Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
    2. Open Device Manager.
    3. Ports > LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port > Properties > Port Settings > Advanced > COM port number
    4. Make a note of your COM port number.
    5. Download and install QPST v2.7.
    6. Open "QPST Configuration".
    7. In the "Ports" tab, if your com port isn't listed, select "Add New Port" and write in your com port as "COM#" (# being the number you noted in step 4). Verify that your com port is listed.
    8. Make sure your phone appears in the the "Active Phones" tab.
    9. Click "Start Clients." Choose "SERVICE PROGRAMMING." Select your phone.
    10. Click "Read from Phone."
    11. Enter your MSL code when promoted. (It will not finish reading from your phone. It will stop near the end and report an error. This is normal.)
    12. Hit "Save to File" to backup your phone's settings and PRL to a .qcn file. (Optional but recommended)
    13. Select the "Roaming" tab.
    14. Under "Preferred Roaming Enable" choose "Browse..." and select the 01115.prl or 61677.prl file. (attached below, also see update 6)
    15. Under the "System" tab change "Roam Preference" to "Home only". (Optional but recommended)
    16. Click "Write to Phone," and your phone should immediately reboot. Do not disconnect your phone until it has booted back up.

To confirm that this worked, go into settings > about phone > status. You should have the new PRL and all that it entails. To reverse the process, follow the same steps but use the Virgin 61007 PRL or use your .qcn backup by selecting "Load from File" in the QPST SERVICE PROGRAMMING.

If you try different PRL's and get better service, please post your results here.

Update 1: Even though you can enable roaming using the QPST System tab under Roam Preferences, and you can actually connect to the Verizon towers, your calls will prompt you for a credit card, and your data will not work while roaming. I recommend leaving roaming on "Home Only." Even though you can't roam, an updated PRL will give you better coverage on Sprint's network. There are already reports that this fixes the 3G connectivity issue.

Update 2: I have created a hybrid PRL numbered 61676. I manually picked that number, and it may conflict with the PRL # of one released in the distant future, just fyi. I created the PRL by taking 60676 and removing a few roaming entries to make room. I then compared the entries in 61007 to it, and added all the non-roaming entries that 60676 lacked. It will almost be impossible to figure out if these additional entries help at all, but they can't hurt. I'm attaching 61676 below if you guys want to test it out. I promise nothing, but so far my phone has not complained about using it. Let me know how it works out if you do try it.

Update 3: Added new 60677 and a new hybrid 61677

Update 4: Proof that it is worthwhile to do!

Update 5: Added 01115 PRL. It is the latest from Sprint. Don't know why it is numbered like it is. I'm not going to make another hybrid prl for it because it is too time consuming, and I see no benefits from it.

Update 6: I'll no longer keep this updated for new PRL's. You can find new ones as they are posted here: http://cid-eabe29f3770d8d15.skydriv...Public/PRLs?ppud=4&wa=wsignin1.0&sa=636785150

Update 7: Newest PRL posted here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=17690691&postcount=201

Roaming does not work on Virgin Mobile! If you do roam, you will not receive your phone calls or texts, and you won't be able to make calls or send texts! Your data will also not work if roaming. Set your "Roam Preference" to "Home only", and you don't have to worry about roaming.
    This was never in pieces, why don't you give proper thanks to the original poster from android central?

http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...irgin-mobile-prl-61007-needed-enter-help.html

Haha, you should be asking why he doesn't give proper thanks to me. I wrote this, and he copied it. Before I wrote it, it was spread out over a bunch of posts. I don't really care either way. I didn't invent the phone, the programs, or the procedure. I'm just glad the info is out there.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...prl-61007-needed-enter-help-5.html#post715849

I guess he did reference me. :)
    Here is my version of CDMA Workshop. I believe it is 3.6.0, it works

Enjoy
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3zwgsuqwtq2qa4e

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The latest sprint prl's can be found here (I'm not liable, if you flash an incompatible one) He keeps them updated pretty good. I'm currently on the 60685 (a tad old I know, lol).

http://www.batonrougebroadband.info

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1747257
    i just want to confirm, do i need to revert to stock to do this? i'm currently running Backside. thanks!

you don't have to revert, just use xionia recovery and use qpst while booted into recovery. Even if you can't see the screen because of an older version of xionia, it'll still allow qpst to talk to the hardware, and you can flash your existing recovery back with flash image gui from backside, or with adb or terminal if you prefer.

someone said earlier that they were able to use qpst with iho, maybe bob fixed the usb id issues in the kernel... you can try qpst before changing recoveries, and if it can talk to the phone, you're good to go without changing anything.

if iho kernel is now working with qpst, please post that info and I'll stop telling people it doesn't work :p