[MOD][Wi-Fi Tether] WiFi Tether on Stock ROM

Search This thread

libbycm

Mar 5, 2008
Ashland, VA
Having recently come from several moto phones where it was a 3 second fix with sql lite to enable wifi tethering, I figured it should be about as easy on my new Note... false.

Haven't seen anything related yet, so I found a way to get stock/native WiFi tethering working on the GNII, on the stock rom, without the use of any market apps. Based off other methods I saw for doing the same thing on the GSIII by modifying /system/framework/framework-res.apk to not call the entitlement check app when you fire up wifi tethering.

Directions:

1. Be on stock ROM build JRO03C.I605VRALJB .. if you are not, it will likely hose your phone
  2. Be rooted..
  3. Backup /system/app/SPG.apk .. then delete it
  4. Backup /system/framework/framework-res.apk DO NOT DELETE IT!!
    [*]Download modified framework-res.apk I have created, and copy to internal storage ( /sdcard )
    [*]Run these commands with ADB:
    Code:
    adb shell
    shell@android:/ $ su
    shell@android:/ # mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtdblock4 /system
    shell@android:/ # dd if=/sdcard/framework-res.apk of=/system/framework/framework-res.apk
    [*]Phone will freeze/lockup/hangup because you just overwrote a open file.. so reboot it or pull battery to reset
    [*]Profit :D

I don't do this stuff everyday, so I take no responsibility if you jack your phone up, but I did this on mine, and works great.. and best part is you can stay stock without messing with crappy WiFi tether apps out there. Also worth noting is any OTA's that come down wire and that are blindly applied will ruin your day as well, so before you apply any OTA, reverse the above directions to put the stock framework-res.apk file back so that everything works.

CREDITS:

dalrym05

Dec 12, 2010
Beans has made the mod on his rom

This is the same mod, but can be applied to pretty much any stock deodexed rom

I have trie fatten hotspot toggle. Fail. Wireless tether. Fail. Built in factory tether starts and stuff connect but consta tly drops out 4g while in use so fail. Even tried ttreve mod from gs3 forum and fail. So what in beans build works? What are you using because I cant get any of them to work and not wanting to do this mod.

dcdgoth

Jul 25, 2010
Rancho Cucamonga
Screenshot_2012-12-15-13-43-13_zps86152520.png
I have trie fatten hotspot toggle. Fail. Wireless tether. Fail. Built in factory tether starts and stuff connect but consta tly drops out 4g while in use so fail. Even tried ttreve mod from gs3 forum and fail. So what in beans build works? What are you using because I cant get any of them to work and not wanting to do this mod.

You don't really need this rom to use wifi tether. Just do what I say, and you'll be fine. Google search and download WifiTether_TrevE_Mod_11_22_2012.apk. After you download it, you need to change settings as following otherwise it won't work(rest of other settings are up to you)

Device Profile: Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)
Setup Method: Netd-NDC (master)
Send Netd Max Client Cmd: Check
Wifi-driver reload: Check
Wifi-driver reload 2: Check
Keep Alive - Connection Checking: Check
Routing fix: Check.

Last edited:

porkandbeans

Feb 21, 2011
Directions:

1. Be on stock ROM build JRO03C.I605VRALJB .. if you are not, it will likely hose your phone
  2. Be rooted..
    [*]Download modified framework-res.apk I have created, and copy to internal storage ( /sdcard )
    Code:
    adb shell
    shell@android:/ # dd if=/sdcard/framework-res.apk of=/system/framework/framework-res.apk
    [*]Phone will freeze/lockup/hangup because you just overwrote a open file.. so reboot it or pull battery to reset

[/LIST]

I followed instructions, but when I do the second ADB commands, I get the error message: shell@android:/ $ su not found at first. I then after command 1, typed su. I then accepted superuser request on phone. I then copied text after the #, then pasted into adb. I did this for each line, then it worked. Thanks.

Last edited:

drtechy

Jun 10, 2010
You don't really need this rom to use wifi tether. Just do what I say, and you'll be fine. Google search and download WifiTether_TrevE_Mod_11_22_2012.apk. After you download it, you need to change settings as following otherwise it won't work(rest of other settings are up to you)

Yup been using this for a while now. I thought it would be cool to use the native app like the Moto guys do too, but it was much easier to just use the tether app with the right settings lol

SirVilhelm

Dec 17, 2008

I've used is tethering app in the past and loved it. Where do you access these settings? Once I am in the app and go to the in app settings I don't see any of these.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Nevermind, found the problem.

Dugall12

Dec 3, 2009

This worked perfectly, this has been the best tether method I've used. It doesn't drop signal like other methods I've tried. Thanks for this!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: kxobin

mtrain

Jul 27, 2009

Just tried this out and it seems this works great.

longbows

Feb 24, 2009
Having recently come from several moto phones where it was a 3 second fix with sql lite to enable wifi tethering, I figured it should be about as easy on my new Note... false.

Haven't seen anything related yet, so I found a way to get stock/native WiFi tethering working on the GNII, on the stock rom, without the use of any market apps. Based off other methods I saw for doing the same thing on the GSIII by modifying /system/framework/framework-res.apk to not call the entitlement check app when you fire up wifi tethering.

Directions:

2. Be rooted..
    Code:
    adb shell

I don't do this stuff everyday, so I take no responsibility if you jack your phone up, but I did this on mine, and works great.. and best part is you can stay stock without messing with crappy WiFi tether apps out there. Also worth noting is any OTA's that come down wire and that are blindly applied will ruin your day as well, so before you apply any OTA, reverse the above directions to put the stock framework-res.apk file back so that everything works.

CREDITS:

My phone goes to loop boot............I have to recover the framework-res.apk.

LBJM

Feb 3, 2011
I think data drops sue to VZW throttling the phone. I remember someone made a hack for the rezound to remove the throttling on the 4g, I think we need that here.

Aryantes

Oct 7, 2010
Using the Treve wifi tether. seems to be working awesome.

Have been tearing my hair out for the past week, looking for solutions and wondering why nobody was talking about the hotspot 4g drop issue.

Turns out I was NOT in the Verizon specific galaxy note 2 forum, stupid me.

Life is happy again. I didn't try the framework-res solution though.

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne

i would start a seperate thread in the theme and app section with this info.

Feb 25, 2008

Fantastic. I'm on the road and don't feel like doing anything dramatic. This worked for me like a charm.

gnex0422

Apr 15, 2012
Vt
Anyone know if this works on cleanrom?

RomsWell

Jul 10, 2011
Venice
Yeah it works on all the roms. Use the above settings minus wifi reload 1, and keep alive. Everything else is correct.

Reactions: gnex0422

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Directions:

2. Be rooted..
      Code:
      adb shell

CREDITS:
    took the liberty to get this setup on RALL4, and in a flashable zip.
    this will take care of everything for you.
    will rename SPG.apk to SPG.bak ( backup for save keeping )
    and will flash the modified framework-res

NOTE

if you have any other framework-res mods this will undo them, because this is base off stock de-odex framework

Note2_RALL4_tether.zip - 21.82 MB

This worked perfectly, this has been the best tether method I've used. It doesn't drop signal like other methods I've tried. Thanks for this!

I think data drops sue to VZW throttling the phone. I remember someone made a hack for the rezound to remove the throttling on the 4g, I think we need that here.

No.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2