CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

stfudude

Aug 17, 2010
Egypt
I can't believe that I got all my questions answered in just a few hours! Thanks kenkiller and temasek! I'm gonna have to try this rom sometime this week, because it's looks awesome! I will have to make a backup of my sdcard before doing the flashing, for safety measure. Can't afford to lose data these days. I will report if faux kernel works or not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 3G using Tapatalk 2

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Hey temasek!

Our buddy pastime1971 always speaks highly of you. Glad to see you here. The other CM10 thread should look here and see how proper credit is given. I will check this out for sure.

Edit: and I think you are right, the user base is really small. I don't known how this thing is selling, but the traffic here is really tiny. Slower than Nook HD even.

Last edited:
Reactions: temasek

kenkiller

Nov 21, 2009
I can't believe that I got all my questions answered in just a few hours! Thanks kenkiller and temasek! I'm gonna have to try this rom sometime this week, because it's looks awesome! I will have to make a backup of my sdcard before doing the flashing, for safety measure. Can't afford to lose data these days. I will report if faux kernel works or not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 3G using Tapatalk 2
Not to belittle anything, but at this point in time it's CM10.1 = Stock 4.2.1 + some tweaks.

So to keep expectations even, don't expect too much difference from stock 4.2.1. It's the general UI tweakability of CM that makes us appreciate what CM brings. Performance wise, I find hard pressed to find much difference between CM10.1 and what came on our devices in the first place.

Again, no slur to temasek, your helpfulness and work here is undeniable, at least for the small pool of tilapia users. :D

n3ocort3x

May 10, 2012
Vienna
many thanks for thetering :) FINALLY my wishes came true :), flashing and reporting asap. THX button pressed ;)

Linkmeup82

Account currently disabled
Apr 3, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
Great Work

I was starting to regret paying an extra $50 for the 3g version because of what little support it has and the fact that T-Mobile blocks it from my unlimited data plan. I would have been better off just using WiFi tether on my Samsung Galaxy Vibrant like I mostly do anyway. This KANG is a great addition to the ROM database for the tilapia. I also had a few friends buy the non-3g version all because of price. They wanted WiFi but don't have mobile data plans anyway and were not going to purchase one just for the Nexus. Vendors like T-Mobile are hurting tilapia sales because of data blocking. I read a forum where a few people were going to buy Nexus 7 3g models until they found out T-Mobile blocks them. It's really unfortunate that I can't just pop my phone's sim card out and use it on T-Mobile's HSPA network. Anyway, sorry for the rant. I wanted to ask what the benefit of removing xbin/su from Gapps is? I couldn't find any info. I imagine it may be a location thing to see all apps in Play Store? All good things come from Singapore. Like Verbatim disks. Thanks again.

temasek

Feb 2, 2010
Singapore
I was starting to regret paying an extra $50 for the 3g version because of what little support it has and the fact that T-Mobile blocks it from my unlimited data plan. I would have been better off just using WiFi tether on my Samsung Galaxy Vibrant like I mostly do anyway. This KANG is a great addition to the ROM database for the tilapia. I also had a few friends buy the non-3g version all because of price. They wanted WiFi but don't have mobile data plans anyway and were not going to purchase one just for the Nexus. Vendors like T-Mobile are hurting tilapia sales because of data blocking. I read a forum where a few people were going to buy Nexus 7 3g models until they found out T-Mobile blocks them. It's really unfortunate that I can't just pop my phone's sim card out and use it on T-Mobile's HSPA network. Anyway, sorry for the rant. I wanted to ask what the benefit of removing xbin/su from Gapps is? I couldn't find any info. I imagine it may be a location thing to see all apps in Play Store? All good things come from Singapore. Like Verbatim disks. Thanks again.

Since we are already rooted, there isn't any use of su binary file in gapps package. Moreover that gapps with the su binary killed root in my I9300 device. As such I've removed it.

Reactions: Linkmeup82

temasek

Feb 2, 2010
Singapore
Next I'll try to attempt mount OTG mass storage device without the need of a Stickmount app, just like many cm devices could. This will probably be after Christmas.

I'll take this commit as a reference (nexus 10)
http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/28572/

Hope it will work.

Edit: My I9300 has the exactly same sources as the n10 to enable OTG. I'm hopeful now.

Cross fingers :D

Last edited:

temasek

Feb 2, 2010
Singapore
Hey temasek!

Our buddy pastime1971 always speaks highly of you. Glad to see you here. The other CM10 thread should look here and see how proper credit is given. I will check this out for sure.

Edit: and I think you are right, the user base is really small. I don't known how this thing is selling, but the traffic here is really tiny. Slower than Nook HD even.

Ahh pastime1971..... My mentor. I learned a lot from him. Best of the best. Very friendly, knowledgeable & helpful.

Reactions: mateorod

Geek McBean

Dec 20, 2012
Next I'll try to attempt mount OTG mass storage device without the need of a Stickmount app, just like many cm devices could. This will probably be after Christmas.

Thanks for your work temasek - before I bought the N7 3G I'd heard USB OTG was disabled but I had assumed wifi tethering would work out of the box so was disappointed.

I tried CM10.1 due to its reputation for stability and because it fixed a lot of little things I wanted but you're really adding the important stuff and so far all the features I've tried work nicely and I've had no stability problems.

Thanks again from a Android custom ROM noob! :D

ozgreg

Apr 25, 2010

Hope it will work.

Edit: My I9300 has the exactly same sources as the n10 to enable OTG. I'm hopeful now.

That will be interesting to see how close you can get, not that I mind stickmount but it seems such a ham fisted way of doing things.. Will you also have a go at getting CIFS to work? From a look at the CIFS mount manager thread it been pretty tragically broken in 4.2...

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Thanks for your work temasek - before I bought the N7 3G I'd heard USB OTG was disabled but I had assumed wifi tethering would work out of the box so was disappointed.

I still cannot believe that WIFI Tethering was broken out of the box (like SMS).. Speaking of SMS not that I want to TXT people on my tablet but just in case, will you be adding the (fixed) mms.apk to re-enable SMS into your KANG?

Last edited:

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com

Hope it will work.

I haven't compared dalingrin's commit for manta with this one, but this commit should work just fine for OTG.

edit: whoops, with this bugfix...

Last edited:

manekineko

Jul 26, 2009
I tried out the official CM10.1 nightly and provided a bunch of feedback on things I'd love to see addressed. You already took care of the tethering and said you're looking into USB OTG, but any of them you could take care of would by amazing.

Here's the post I'd made:
So I've tried out this build of CM10.1 pretty thoroughly.

I notice that most of the failings of the stock ROM aren't addressed in this early nightly yet either.

• No tethering
  • No automatic USB mounting of external drives
  • No camera app exposed for front-facing camera
  • No SMS app
  • Dialing not enabled in build, so can't use apps like Google Voice Callback to dial even without using the tablet as a phone directly
Are the maintainers of this branch of CM10.1 planning on addressing these as the build progresses, or are they planning on following Google's lead on these issues and leaving them as is?

Other issues not related to fixing stock, most already noted by others:

• Superuser keeps asking to re-create permissions already granted
  • There are exposed vibration options, even though the Nexus 7 has no vibration
  • Long-press home is bringing up recent apps
On CM10 on my phone, there was a feature called Expandable Desktop that could be added to the power menu in order to hide the navigation buttons and notification bar, but that doesn't seem to be present here. Any chance we'll see it in the future?

As noted, in the OP, the Quick Settings pull-down has a lot of wonkiness associated with it such as not disabling when disabled, but I didn't see anything wrong with the Clock.

One odd bug that I saw is that the status bar showed me as connected to cellular with blue data, such that everything should be working, but I couldn't get anything to load in any app and had to toggle airplane mode to get everything working again. I've never seen that one on stock before.

Oh, and Merry Christmas all!

temasek

Feb 2, 2010
Singapore
I tried out the official CM10.1 nightly and provided a bunch of feedback on things I'd love to see addressed. You already took care of the tethering and said you're looking into USB OTG, but any of them you could take care of would by amazing.

Here's the post I'd made:

Oh, and Merry Christmas all!

1. Enable Camera no problem, u just need the shortcut to be installed. Search for "Camera launcher for Nexus 7" in Play Store.

2. SMS no problem. I'll see if I can enable it to build the Mms.apk into the rom, or else a stock Mms.apk is good for use in our tilapia device. Proven works as I'm using it now. Send / receive sms no problem.

9. Natively mount OTG storage coming soon.

4. Dialing feature is kinda out of my league. I'll follow closely the thread with regards to dialing feature. Kiv

5. Wifi tethering enabled here but not reviewed yet in cm gerrit.

6. Expanded desktop feature enabled.

Merry Christmas :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts