Desk Dock

Search This thread

dorkydood

Nov 10, 2012
Jan 14, 2011
I use the generic Motorola HD dock for my D4, and I was really disappointed at how dim the actual clock was in night mode. What I mean by that, is that the contrast between the actual numbers and the background is so small that I can sometimes not read the time at night without getting my face really close to the phone. How does the RAZR HD do in night mode? Pics would be helpful! Thanks

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Drenyx

Dec 29, 2012
This looked like the best place to post this. I am also hoping to figure out which dock modes my Razr maxx hd will go into. I picked up a HD station listed as compatible with droid 4 and moto tablets. I guess the definitive answer is they're not listed as compatible with the HD/maxx HD as the phone doesn't center up on the dock. Works perfect. Modded it slightly to accept thickness of my otterbox commuter case.

Taking apart my old droid 2 global car dock (with the magnet, no resistor on the ID pin), I found a micro usb male to micro usb female with 6 wires between them (including shielding wire). It looks pretty ugly now, but I was doing this for experimenting. I hooked the mess up to the HD station I have and it gave me a resistance value of .986K ohm between ground and the ID pin. I'm guessing this is within a small varience of a 1K ohm resistor value. It only had this value when power was supplied to the dock, if power was removed the ID pin appeared to no longer be connected. Haven't yet picked up resistors to confirm anything but the phone does stop charging when I short the ID pin to ground.

I would love to know if anyone could measure the resistor values on any newer car docks, HD dock (I have the HD station) or the new one motorola made with the 'esp' cable. Sorry for any messes in the pictures below, or not walking you through them, but maybe they can help someone. New here and I appreciate the anti-spam measures, so you'll have to copy/paste links yourself. Tinyurl links take you to a photobucket account.

tinyurl.com/c2atxvf

tinyurl.com/cyskn96

Last edited:

Osmatic

Feb 5, 2011
RAZR M XT907.
Assembled scheme with 0-4k variable resistor between pin 5 and pin 4, soldered pin 5 and 1 to usb port on a flash stick and connected it to standart wall charger.
No reaction to any resistance between pin 4 and 5.
The scheme just puts the phone's microUSB port to OTG mode and feeds the USB flash - removed the scheme from wall charger, it keeps blinking with the stick's LED. After cutting pin 4 shuts off immediately.

Osmatic

Feb 5, 2011
Ok, continued to research this question and have some disappointing results for those who want to build your own smart charging cable or modify non-OEM dock to add autodetect functionality as on OEM ones.

Received motorola vehicle dock today. Measured the resistance between pinouts. Nothing special except well-known pin 5 and 4.
It have resistance of 200 kOhm.

Soldered another scheme with 200 kOhm resistor and connected other pins to logic data analyzer.
And i have this scenario:
When connecting 200k between pin 4 and 5, phone connects power to the standart microUSB pins for 2 seconds. During these 2 seconds it sends some data to D+ pin and expect some answer from connected accessory. Sure in my case it recieved nothing and after 2 sec. passed shuts the power on microUSB and operates like nothing connected. Scenario repeats if scheme reconnected.

Thus i think this is a good proof that resistance is used to detect accessory. But this is not enough and is just a first part of detection procedure.
Without special IC that is build in every moto accessory you'll never get autodetect feature.

Here is that IC in the attachment.

Anyone here have some reverse engineering skills to continue research? :cowboy:

Attachments

• ic.jpg
    ic.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:

Majestic3

Feb 13, 2013
I use the generic Motorola HD dock for my D4, and I was really disappointed at how dim the actual clock was in night mode. What I mean by that, is that the contrast between the actual numbers and the background is so small that I can sometimes not read the time at night without getting my face really close to the phone. How does the RAZR HD do in night mode? Pics would be helpful! Thanks

I'm using the RAZR dock app and my otter box defender's clip actually doubles as a stand portrait and landscape, and it charges just fine and clock can be bright enough to read in sunlight.

Droid RAZR HD (current)
LG Optimus One P-504 (For Sale)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362335963650.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362335963650.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 134
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362335977993.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362335977993.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 138
Reactions: AMTrombley0924

DrunkenFerret

Dec 22, 2011
ithaca ny
Ok, continued to research this question and have some disappointing results for those who want to build your own smart charging cable or modify non-OEM dock to add autodetect functionality as on OEM ones.

Received motorola vehicle dock today. Measured the resistance between pinouts. Nothing special except well-known pin 5 and 4.
It have resistance of 200 kOhm.

Soldered another scheme with 200 kOhm resistor and connected other pins to logic data analyzer.
And i have this scenario:
When connecting 200k between pin 4 and 5, phone connects power to the standart microUSB pins for 2 seconds. During these 2 seconds it sends some data to D+ pin and expect some answer from connected accessory. Sure in my case it recieved nothing and after 2 sec. passed shuts the power on microUSB and operates like nothing connected. Scenario repeats if scheme reconnected.

Thus i think this is a good proof that resistance is used to detect accessory. But this is not enough and is just a first part of detection procedure.
Without special IC that is build in every moto accessory you'll never get autodetect feature.

Here is that IC in the attachment.

Anyone here have some reverse engineering skills to continue research? :cowboy:

Have you tried connecting the moto IC board to the device and using your analyzer to read the signal that it responds with? If it is simple enough to reproduce, we might be able to use something like the Adafruit Gemma ( http://www.adafruit.com/products/1222 ) or other mini standalone processors they make to reproduce that signal. In that case, we could create something more than just a dock and use the larger Flora system to add indicator lights on the dock for example.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Find someone with a 3D printer and make one....:)

I'm actually doing just that. Partial prototype turned out nicely, I'm printing the full version right now. Files will be on Thingiverse and GitHub as soon as I've verified the design.

Now I only need to find someone who can measure the resistances on the USB cable so it will go into dock mode automatically.

I'm using the RAZR dock app and my otter box defender's clip actually doubles as a stand portrait and landscape, and it charges just fine and clock can be bright enough to read in sunlight.

Droid RAZR HD (current)
    LG Optimus One P-504 (For Sale)