Wind Mobile Galaxy S3 (T999) users UNITE

Search This thread

solat

Jul 24, 2012
Stock firmware

hi is there a way to return to the stock wind firmware without a root because i know you can get to it but its rooted thanks

androholic

Dec 22, 2011
Canton
Great idea... first question here... i have never rooted a phone or done anything like that to it... i've always wanted to get into it, but i just never could get up the nuts to do it. funny because i've messed with and modified every other electronic device and pre-android phone i've ever owned... just got scared with android, i guess partly because i cannot afford to have to buy another 700 dollar device...

anyways, i want to go ahead and root my sgs3 on wind mobile, but i have no idea how. can anyone point me to some help... i mean super basic noob help? like a walkthrough? i want to put on CM9 if i can, and whatever rom would be a good one for daily use... i don't really know what different roms are going to get me even, and honestly for the most part the phone works great, but there are a few minor things (like google wallet) that i want access to and can't have without rooting... so i figure i'll go for it

also, will it void my warranty to do this, or can i revert back to stock if i have a warranty issue and then take it in for replacement? thanks for any and all help!

Check out galaxys3root.com, it's a website by xda user zedomax, and he does super noob proof walk throughs & teaches you the basics. He was always on YouTube up until a recent issue, and that's where I learned everything in my beginning android days. Everything he shows you is accompanied by a video walk through, and you will find an email link that you can use to ask him questions. He will personally respond to you, and he is an amazing guy with a vast amount of knowledge to soak up! Best of luck, and be careful!

Reactions: asaqwert

asaqwert

Apr 5, 2011
Wow awesome thanks very much. You are thanked

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

hoysauce

Jul 31, 2012
Awesome thanks very much guys did the help and advice. I've now got the trinity kernel running and love it getting better battery life and whatnot but it isn't appearing a night and day ndifferent

As for ROM s I'm still on stock and don't mind it to bad just want it debloated but otherwise it's alright

I too am on trinity kernel and running CM9 nightly ROM. Works great, really smooth. My battery life was pretty bad with stock kernel (i'm a heavy data user), but the trinity kernel really improved battery life. The phone is also not as hot at the back either!:eek:

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
Ya I find that odd cause I'm still on the stock Rom and kernel and have no issues with battery for the most part and I'm a very heavy user so maybe s mess up on Samsung part

Sent from my SGH-T999V

neosynthesis

Jun 10, 2008
Q: Carrier unlock advice?

I just paid $30 in Burnaby to unlock a 999v. do you guys know of an unlocking thread? thank you all! love this thread! and thank you all for contributing.

prabjeetmaan

Aug 1, 2012
Help
Can anybody share his modem file.cuz I have flashed tmobile modem to my phone.now I can't connect to my carrier wind.my phone shows unknown baseband.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using xda app-developers app

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
Sometimes with that you need to go into settings then more settings then mobile networks then access point names and change them to wind which well be

464bf594-b34e-bb0a.jpg
464bf594-b35d-34f3.jpg

And make sure you add mms as well
464bf594-b367-0a8f.jpg
464bf594-b371-a573.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999V

prabjeetmaan

Aug 1, 2012
I cant edit cuz its show your sim card is invalid.i need wind version modem file so that i cant flash its on my phone .if anybody have plz share its.thks

saffire

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
Wind issues

So I seem to have a bunch of issues that seem to be interconnected and was wondering if its a bad sim? let me know what you guys think...(ps: although I hate to admit it, I'm a nooooob). To that end. I have a stock GS3 with stock wind ROM and unrooted.

Problem 1:
I live in Mississauga/Milton/Oshawa (I move around a lot) and I have seem to connect to the H+ network BUT , I'm not even sure if the H+ network extends to any other place other than downtown Toronto. I checked (http://www.coveragemapper.com/windmap.php) and selected hsdpa+ to see if I should have coverage and theoretically I should...buuut wasnt sure so can anyone else confirm if they are getting H+ symbol in other places other than downtown Toronto?

Problem 2 (Related to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1816559&page=2) :
When I was on the away network, I noticed that I couldn't send/recieve text msgs or make calls. I called wind support and they said everything looks ok on our system. When I try and connect manually to the away network (which takes FOREVER mind you, probably because it's timing out) it cant connect. I read in a forum that The SMSC # may be incorrect and that post said that I should type *#*#4636#*#* to change the smsc number to Winds number. I type that and get nothing, as in I end up staring at what I entered and no other menu or option comes up. Anybody else on Wind get that?

I've tried a hard reboot with the SIM card and battery taken out for 10 seconds (At winds suggestion) but that didn't solve it. I'm beginning to think my sim card may be a little wonky and I may have to go into a store to get this resolved...

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
So I seem to have a bunch of issues that seem to be interconnected and was wondering if its a bad sim? let me know what you guys think...(ps: although I hate to admit it, I'm a nooooob). To that end. I have a stock GS3 with stock wind ROM and unrooted.

Problem 1:
I live in Mississauga/Milton/Oshawa (I move around a lot) and I have seem to connect to the H+ network BUT , I'm not even sure if the H+ network extends to any other place other than downtown Toronto. I checked (http://www.coveragemapper.com/windmap.php) and selected hsdpa+ to see if I should have coverage and theoretically I should...buuut wasnt sure so can anyone else confirm if they are getting H+ symbol in other places other than downtown Toronto?

Problem 2 (Related to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1816559&page=2) :
When I was on the away network, I noticed that I couldn't send/recieve text msgs or make calls. I called wind support and they said everything looks ok on our system. When I try and connect manually to the away network (which takes FOREVER mind you, probably because it's timing out) it cant connect. I read in a forum that The SMSC # may be incorrect and that post said that I should type *#*#4636#*#* to change the smsc number to Winds number. I type that and get nothing, as in I end up staring at what I entered and no other menu or option comes up. Anybody else on Wind get that?

I've tried a hard reboot with the SIM card and battery taken out for 10 seconds (At winds suggestion) but that didn't solve it. I'm beginning to think my sim card may be a little wonky and I may have to go into a store to get this resolved...

Are you on wind pay before or pay after account cause of your on pay after you should be okay but if you're on pay before you need to have extra money on the account before you can make calls or texts on wind away zones also not that you can top up our check your balance online or by typing *123#

Sent from my SGH-T999V

Last edited:
Reactions: saffire

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
I cant edit cuz its show your sim card is invalid.i need wind version modem file so that i cant flash its on my phone .if anybody have plz share its.thks

My only suggestion since I can't find the modem you are looking for is to install stock Rom back on your phone just look for a videotron Rom since they have the same stock roms as wind does

But wait a bit longer and when I'm off work I'll see what I can find I'll dig a bit deeper for you

Sent from my SGH-T999V

Last edited:

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary

Problem 1:
As for your question one it does the something here in Calgary I wouldn't worry too much about that :) hope this all helps

Sent from my SGH-T999V

Reactions: saffire

saffire

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
Are you on wind pay before or pay after account cause of your on pay after you should be okay but if you're on pay before you need to have extra money on the account before you can make calls or texts on wind away zones also not that you can top up our check your balance online or by typing *123#

Sent from my SGH-T999V

Thanks for the response :)
I am on Pay After.. I was able to do it before the switch AND according to wind, roaming is enabled on my account..

saffire

Aug 15, 2012
Toronto
So I went to wind and here is what they told me:
1) only downtown Toronto and a bit of north York has H+ in the gta

2) They locked down *#*#4636#*#* so users wouldn't be able to play and mess their phone up

3) they locked roaming such that you can't not roam within the wind zone. this is to avoid connecting and getting charged while in a wind zone

Not entirely sure I believe the last two..can anyone confirm?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A while ago I was a part of the wind mobile optimus 2x (P999) users UNITE threads so to live on with the legacy I figured I would make a thread for the Wind Mobile Galaxy S3 users:

have fun ask questions, shoot the breeze, and just chill with your windy friends
    Appreciate the help :). So now that radios are out of the question, what about the ROM?

Just fyi, I'm trying to help someone do I think the same thing but for Mobilicity here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2027661

Hasn't been solved yet but thought it may help you as well.
    I'm going to go ahead and try to put out recovery flashable Roms based from the T999V stock firmware. So if nothing else there will be that fairly soon. They'll be deodexed to in case anyone wants to theme or mod or do whstever you want to them.
    Hope some of you find them useful once done!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
    ok cool thanks for the help here...

so as far as calender stuff.... can i back it up and restore it, or am i hooped and just stuck losing it? since i have my google stuff, shouldn't it back it up for me? i know when i went from my optimus 2x (un modded) to my sgs3 i just signed into google and everything showed up... won't happen here though or what?

also.....i've been reading about people having to install gapps (google apps i'm guessing?) separately? what's the deal there... do i have to do that? thanks

one other thing i forgot to ask... i've had a few people tell me that, being on wind, i cannot use tmo roms etc like i used to be able to on other phones (apparently) but now it looks like those links above are all tmo roms... i'm confused... am i boing to bork up my phone if i put tmo stuff on it, or no? thanks

well they said that it could cause issues but my old optimus 2x aka g2x worked fine with tmobile roms and btw GS3 is T999 where as the Canadian version is T999V and should have no issues from what i can see if im not mistaken the optimus 2x up here was P990DW where as the tmo version was T990 but the roms and everything were the same for both.

where as for the calendar its prob a loss and yes you install gapps separately but just follow the instruction and it will lead you through everything safely but here is another link just in case :D

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1775616
    I have put together a ROM based on the new Canadian JB release. I am not a real developer just sharing what I have put together for those that are interested. Tried to get most of the features from Frosty that I miss when we updated.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2060613
    Official T999V JB update

OFFICIAL Samsung rollout begins Fri, Dec 14, 2012 !!

twitter notifications:
    Samsung Mobile CA
    GALAXY S III owners! @Mobilicity, @Videotron & @WINDMobile will start receiving Jelly Bean on Fri. with a staggered rollout into next week!

Vidéotron
    La mise à jour Android 4.1.1 "Jelly Bean" du Samsung Galaxy S III sera disponible à partir de demain et sera déployée de façon progressive!