How to make MicroSD SD Card as phone storage

Search This thread

corlaci

Dec 29, 2012
Ever had a problem with your Android smartphone that application is only downloading to the phone storage and you can not move it to the MicroSD card?

Here is a quick solution. The following solution will only work on a rooted phone.

Please download and install ES File Explorer.

Enter it, Go to Menu>Settings>Root Settings Check “Root Explorer” and accept both the ES prompt and SU prompt.

Then check Mount File System

Return to ES Main screen, Long press the first Favorites icon unless the path will turn to /

Go to /system/etc and press vold.fstab

Find there the following lines:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard

emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host/mmc0

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host/mmc1

Replace the sdcard with sdcard2 and sdcard2 with sdcard so that it will look like this:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host/mmc0

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host/mmc1

Now press the Menu button and press Save.

Restart your phone and now the “Phone Storage” is your MicroSD card and most applications will be downloaded to it.

Reactions: wlmeng11

yojoe600

Jan 10, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I made a flash-able .zip try at your own risk but should be fine if you nandroid or back up the original like I did. :)

edit it did not work right on mine lol ill look into it

Last edited:

mike7728

Nov 1, 2012
Xenia
Ever had a problem with your Android smartphone that application is only downloading to the phone storage and you can not move it to the MicroSD card?

Here is a quick solution. The following solution will only work on a rooted phone.

Enter it, Go to Menu>Settings>Root Settings Check “Root Explorer” and accept both the ES prompt and SU prompt.

Return to ES Main screen, Long press the first Favorites icon unless the path will turn to /

emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host/mmc0

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host/mmc1

Replace the sdcard with sdcard2 and sdcard2 with sdcard so that it will look like this:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host/mmc0

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host/mmc1

Restart your phone and now the “Phone Storage” is your MicroSD card and most applications will be downloaded to it.

thanks,worked awesomely

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

fellipeleo

Jan 19, 2012
I managed to solve the above issue.

I'm trying to do this procedure but nothing is happening. Already modified and continues the same way when I restart.

On my tablet has 2 files and vold.fstab vold.fstab.nand

VOLD.FSTAB
Code:
## Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
## - San Mehat (san@android.com)
## 

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...> 
## label        - Label for the volume
## mount_point  - Where the volume will be mounted
## part         - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

## Example of a standard sdcard mount for the emulator / Dream
# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host
## Example of a dual card setup
# dev_mount left_sdcard  /mnt/sdcard1  auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host/mmc0
# dev_mount right_sdcard /mnt/sdcard2  auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.2/mmc_host/mmc2

## Example of specifying a specific partition for mounts
# dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

# usb otg disk
dev_mount usbotg /mnt/usbotg auto /devices/platform/mt_usb/usb1

VOLD.FSTAB.NAND

Code:
## 

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

# dev_mount left_sdcard  /mnt/sdcard1  auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host/mmc0
# dev_mount right_sdcard /mnt/sdcard2  auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.2/mmc_host/mmc2

# dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

any solution?

Last edited:

chetoz

Jun 29, 2013
i'm already using link2sd and my internal memory still full ,
i think it's better, it is okay if i do directly ?

sorry for bad english :D

thewayur

Jun 4, 2011
New Delhi
androness.com
POCO M3
exactly same SDCARD2 line, n no changes found

exactly same SDCARD2 line, n no changes found...
on internet there is no method for sdcard2 line,, somebody help

I managed to solve the above issue.

I'm trying to do this procedure but nothing is happening. Already modified and continues the same way when I restart.

On my tablet has 2 files and vold.fstab vold.fstab.nand

VOLD.FSTAB
Code:
## 

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

# usb otg disk
dev_mount usbotg /mnt/usbotg auto /devices/platform/mt_usb/usb1

VOLD.FSTAB.NAND

Code:
## 

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
######################

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

any solution?

jmcruz20

Sep 29, 2013

is it working on all android phones?..my phone is "Vega Racer IM-A770k"..

AECRADIO

Aug 31, 2013
Payson, AZ.
www.facebook.com
SD card as primary storage location.

I have Rom Toolbox, and selected APPS2sd, and I have noticed my apps do get stored on my SD card, but I am wondering about the OTA I am now being nagged about.
Will this OTA also be saved to my card, or will this ignore the pointing to a specific location and perform the update on its own, regardless of where I direct my apps?
My latest update is 45.621.10.en.us for VZW

Is there an easy method of getting this OTA off the phone and into my SD card without messing with extensive file attributes?
If so, does anybody know the exact location of this file?
Root or system?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

dot.cis

Mar 10, 2011
Hey guys!

Is there any way to reverse the process?
To change my sd card back from phone storage to external sd card-

After flashing new rom to my ZTE V970, my external SD card is shown as phone storage, but I would like to have it as external SD card!

Thanks!

Rohan Ghosh

Jul 16, 2014
Kolkata
install apps to external sd card,any android 4.2.1

My bro bought a micromax canvas 2 plus running 4.2.1 and asked me toh swap the sd cards..
At first i thought it would be easy since there are so many posts regarding this..but all the methods failed..
The twist is..there are 2 files in the system/etc folder..
1.Vold.fstab
2.Vold.fstab.nand

So..replacing 0 with 1 in the vold.fstab file doesnot do the trick..
After many days of searching every where, i finally found a way..
1.Root your phone
Use root explorer( or any other file manager with root access)
2.navigate to system/ etc
3.now open the vold.fstab file as text
4.make a backup of the original file
Change the lines:

dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 emmc@fat/devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-msdc.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard2 /storage/sdcard1auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-msdc.1/mmc_host

To

dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-msdc.1/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard2 /storage/sdcard0 emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-msdc.0/mmc_host

In vold.fstab.nand change sdcard0 to sdcard1

Then reboot your phone

PLEASE NOTE: the above change will NOT show your external as internal..or vise versa
But all those large apps and games will get installed in external sd card..
Make the default write disk 'external sd' from settings
Fully working on canvas 2 plus

Last edited:

Padyt007

Jun 23, 2013
Help out

I encounter a problem on my tablet !!!! my sdcard not working as external storage !!!! So. Can't use it to save data of games as some other things ....it has 2.0gb internal memory ,and 5 gb storage !!!!!then my sdcard. Which obb file of a game that is not playing I attached some screen shot of the storage to this post

Attachments

• 2014_09_26_05.47.51.jpg
    2014_09_26_05.47.51.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 328
  • 2014_09_26_05.48.05.jpg
    2014_09_26_05.48.05.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 232
  • vold.fstab.nand.zip
    599 bytes · Views: 410
  • vold.fstab.zip
    627 bytes · Views: 348
  • vold.fstab.fat.nand.zip
    672 bytes · Views: 293

RASTAS12

Nov 15, 2012
HARARE
Thanks for the instruction. There isn't much available on the net for this. I am trying to work on an XTouch Ocean phone that has a 512mb/256mb internal structure. I would like to change the internal and external (4GB bundled with the device) but need to have the internal settings display that the change has been made in order for the device to be acceptable for a NGO project we are running. Any idea?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.