Black screen of death with buttons on. Anyone seen this

Search This thread

badrsj

Jan 18, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
My stock unmolested note 3 with extended battery seems to have overheated and died. Upon recharging the screen does not show even a flicker while the boot sounds play. The device presumably boots but one can't say. The capacitive buttons are permanently on and non responsive. Battery pulled booted to recovery same black screen no buttons lit.
So reboot holding the power button, pull battery and turn it off. Is this a hardware melt down, is this a paper weight?
There is no insurance no coverage. What should I do next. What would be outta pocket repair charges?
Thanks for reading this far.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

graydiggy

Sep 26, 2011
Bryan, TX
Well since it seems to be a phone issue not caused by you, they, AT&T or Samsung will have to exchange it. You don't need insurance.

Have you tried booting to recovery or download mode?

badrsj

Jan 18, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I'm not the original purchaser so no luck with Samsung. Yup booted into recovery blind folded, still no screen. What about download mode and just Odin the device, should fix software screwups.

graydiggy

Sep 26, 2011
Bryan, TX
If you are not getting anything even in recovery ... It's a hardware issue.

I've been a second hand owner of many phones that I have had replaced through AT&T.

Check the LCD for hairline cracks. Dimly lit room, shine a bright light on the screen and look at it at different angles.

---------- Post added at 05:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 AM ----------

If it overheated, it's possible the LCD is indeed cracked...

badrsj

Jan 18, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Thank you for your answers to figure out what to do. where I could look at the cost of replacing the LCD only thank you. The device is really not been used on AT&T for a while because I am on the G 3 I do not know if they'll cover it.

graydiggy

Sep 26, 2011
Bryan, TX
I don't advise replacing just the LCD. most people won't do it. You will have better luck with replacement of the entire assembly.

badrsj

Jan 18, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I've looked at the cost, I would rather wipe the phone clean and eBay it for parts, just need to figure out how to wipe it without using a power drill :)

graydiggy

Sep 26, 2011
Bryan, TX
I can help with that. You will be flying blind, but it will work. Give me a few to write up a tutorial.

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Follow the OP of this thread first.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2703006

After it finishes wait a bout 10 minutes for the first boot to finish.

Then proceed to this after

1: Remove your battery for 5 seconds. We want to make sure the device is completely off.

2: replace the battery

3: Hold home+volume up+power. You will feel a vibration. Hold them for 2 more seconds and release all 3.no more or less time.

Wait for 5 seconds.

4: press the volume down button 3 times.
5: press the power button.
6. Press the volume down button 7 times. Be slow and deliberate being careful to count each press. If you think you screwed up, start over.
7: press the power button. Your device will factory reset at this time.

Reactions: badrsj

badrsj

Jan 18, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
In a strange turn of events the device turns out to be in warranty with Samsung so I'm sending it in with fingers crossed. From electric drill to possibly repaired? Let's see. Thanks for your help and support. I should have more definitive news by the end of next week.:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can help with that. You will be flying blind, but it will work. Give me a few to write up a tutorial.

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Follow the OP of this thread first.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2703006

After it finishes wait a bout 10 minutes for the first boot to finish.

Then proceed to this after

1: Remove your battery for 5 seconds. We want to make sure the device is completely off.

2: replace the battery

3: Hold home+volume up+power. You will feel a vibration. Hold them for 2 more seconds and release all 3.no more or less time.

Wait for 5 seconds.

4: press the volume down button 3 times.
    5: press the power button.
    6. Press the volume down button 7 times. Be slow and deliberate being careful to count each press. If you think you screwed up, start over.
    7: press the power button. Your device will factory reset at this time.