How good is the camera?

Search This thread

Neo Cortex

Aug 10, 2008
I am thinking of getting a Defy as a free upgrade to my Hero. Reviews of camera seem mixed but general impression is that it's not brilliant, especially in low light. Interested to hear the views of people here.

Mercano

Jan 7, 2010
You can compare the photos from defy with various other phones, including N8, iPhone4 on gsmarena site. Just click on some of the latest reviews, doesnt matter which phone, and go to the camera section of the review. There is a photo compare tool.

Neo Cortex

Aug 10, 2008
Thanks. I am almost certainly going to get one. The nagging doubt in the back of my mind is the speaker issue. Difficult to know how much of a problem it really is. People who don't have the issue (obviously) don't post to forums

BizzaBoy

Nov 19, 2010
Denver, CO
None of those Cell Cameras are that cool in low light compared to a DSLR. What would really help is a camera app that writes out a dng file so that one can properly posprocess this in say Lightroom/Photoshop/Noiseware.

Just for completeness shake, the camera module seems to be a MT9PT012 ...

Sorensiim

Nov 1, 2010
I was pleasantly suprised with the quality of the flash. up to a metre or 2 it is very effective and doesn't wash out the photo like some others. All in all I am pleases with the camera - thats just my opinion though.

IMHO - flash and camera is pretty awful. Here's a shot with flash, I even gave it +20 brightness in Gimp:
crapsne.jpg

Then again, I might be spoiled by these babies:
browse.php

Ironically - That was shot with my HTC Desire :)

I guess the Defy's camera is just below cell-phone average. It should't be your only camera, but for "Hey this looks fun!" shots it'll do fine.

xdaid

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 12, 2009
I really like my defy but, honestly, the camera is not the best part.
Also the display looks not so brilliant as the desire's one.

I'm not saying they're bad, just they're not wonderful, but considering defy's price it's absolutely fair.

dave79

Apr 27, 2008
London
Well, one thing none of the others can do is H2Oing it. I just filmed in water, definitely better results than any other phone attempting the same :)

stfnlg

Nov 8, 2010
Münster
I'm using the Camera360 app. There is a filter called "Effect enhancement". If i you this one, the pictures look better - the ones taken in short range. Ok, they do look a bit "artifical", but for me its ok. There is a "free" version of that app for trying out...

The Defy is not the first Android i bought, but it will be the first Android, which will not be sold again. I really like this phone...

Maybe there will be some kind of camera-optimization. Until then, i will take my digi-cam for "more important" pictures to make.

Best regards
Stefan

stfnlg

Nov 8, 2010
Münster
Here is sample picture, resized, with flash and taken with camera360 app.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 208

trickyhenry

Dec 27, 2007
L62TGSnecJT59S86gtAiMA

This was taken with a Galaxy S
4bum7Xl_nD6QlpbalnZLzA

This was taken with the Defy, different day so not a direct comparison. The weather was worse and it was cloudy. Hope this give you an idea of comparison though.

sdftGOCJpnxGY-aLisg4MQ

Defy on macro with flash

I2jrynYJnDcED4MekRd89Q

Defy with macro no flash. Shows good detail.

thanks

disturkis4u

Aug 27, 2009
Photos aren't that great but they're not awful. I do find that the built in editing (kodak perfect touch) does an excellent job though. The macro mode and color reproduction aren't as good as my vibrant. But overall im satisfied.

Sent from my DEFY using XDA app

Higgsy

Oct 16, 2009
Smethvegas
Photos aren't that great but they're not awful. I do find that the built in editing (kodak perfect touch) does an excellent job though. The macro mode and color reproduction aren't as good as my vibrant. But overall im satisfied.

Sent from my DEFY using XDA app

yeah I agree that kodak perfect touch enhancement works well

felipegeek

Dec 26, 2010
Miami
I took pictures with it for the first time today. I did not like the quality of the pictures. My first impressions:

Pros: The LED flash is bright and puts my old BB Curve to shame. You could use it to blind a night time attacker if you could instantly turn it on with an external button.
The interface to take pictures is pretty good and easy to use.

Cons:
-Colors are muddy and off color even when shot outdoors.
-Colors with the flash are not automatically corrected and show up with the blue/white color cast of the LED flash.
-Color space compression is very noticable with banding visible under various conditions.
-Slow to take a picture because it does not focus until you click the onscreen button to take the photo.

I thought video was better on balance than the camera but it is rather poor in low light (as expected). I hope that I will learn to get better results with it after more testing but I'm glad it's not a primary reason for me to own the Defy.
-felipe

Le_Poilu

Dec 9, 2010
le-poilu.whykywa.com
I found the camera pretty good in comparaison of my old phone.
But there's a hudge miss on the native camera app: you cannot change the JPG compression and by default it's very very compressed! Some have their 5Mpxl pictures that takes around 300kB (it should be 1.5MB at least!).

Maybe if someone know a way to change this settings it would be nice for improving the quality of the final picture ;)

Sorensiim

Nov 1, 2010
I really like the Vignette app for the camera, it's old school styles go rather well with the "performance" of the camear :)