help

Search This thread

eddrowe

May 29, 2012
Stoke on Trent
my friend has just brought a one x and it came already rooted and with cm10 on it, he was thinking of changing software, what do i need know about this phone as i am the owner of an arc so no nothing of HTCs. can get on bootloader and into recovery but do not know if kernel has been changed or not and which software we are safe to use. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

lukes91

Aug 20, 2013
Somewhere Over The Rainbow
my friend has just brought a one x and it came already rooted and with cm10 on it, he was thinking of changing software, what do i need know about this phone as i am the owner of an arc so no nothing of HTCs. can get on bootloader and into recovery but do not know if kernel has been changed or not and which software we are safe to use. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
the best thing if to start over, in my opinion... put the rom you like on sdcard (change recovery if needed) and flash it following the instructions in the rom OP (remember to flash the boot.img from the zip otherwise it won't boot)... it's plenty of guides here, just look around ;)

eddrowe

May 29, 2012
Stoke on Trent
the best thing if to start over, in my opinion... put the rom you like on sdcard (change recovery if needed) and flash it following the instructions in the rom OP (remember to flash the boot.img from the zip otherwise it won't boot)... it's plenty of guides here, just look around ;)

kernel says on phone its 2.6.39.4-cyanogenmod inkyghost? is that a custom one? can this be changed easily?

eddrowe

May 29, 2012
Stoke on Trent
if you flash a new rom or another kernel the current one will be overwritten...

i know yeah but thats not the stock kernel is it? do i need no anything about bootloaders with these fones i can get on the bootloader menu so i imagine its unlocked is there a way of finding that out?

do htcs flash in a different way to sony phones as like i sed i never used a htc phone or flashed one b4

lukes91

Aug 20, 2013
Somewhere Over The Rainbow
i know yeah but thats not the stock kernel is it? do i need no anything about bootloaders with these fones i can get on the bootloader menu so i imagine its unlocked is there a way of finding that out?

do htcs flash in a different way to sony phones as like i sed i never used a htc phone or flashed one b4

no, it's not htc stock kernel... to find out if the phone is unlocked enter the bootloader and look if the top flag is "unlocked" or "relocked"...
i never flashed a sony device, so i can't tell for sure...
in htc you have to flash the boot.img from rom zip via fastboot and then the rom zip via recovery...

HTC Venom

Sep 16, 2012
amman
Because you already have CM on your device that means your device is bootloader unlocked

I have rooted and flashed my sisters Xperia which is to similar to ARC , so here are couple of points you need to know before start flashing ROMs and kernels

1-On HOX we have an hboot which is like a bios for a PC which mostly its s-on
2-hboot will not allow you to flash any ROM in a single flash because its will not allow you to flash the boot.img file of it's kernel
3-so when flashing any ROM or kernel you need to flash ROM zip file from recovery then you need to extract boot.img file from ROM zip on your PC and boot into bootloader to push the extracted boot.img from your PC using this fastboot command every time "fastboot flash boot boot.img" if you are using Linux you may have to start your command with sudo

So for flashing here on HOX it's same for ROMs as for kernels

To change recovery for HOX it's nearly as same as flashing boot.img

For recovery you need to get into bootloader to flash the needed recovery.img using fastboot command "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

And after each fastboot command you need to place this command order "fastboot erase cache" to prevent boot loops

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: eddrowe

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because you already have CM on your device that means your device is bootloader unlocked

I have rooted and flashed my sisters Xperia which is to similar to ARC , so here are couple of points you need to know before start flashing ROMs and kernels

1-On HOX we have an hboot which is like a bios for a PC which mostly its s-on
    2-hboot will not allow you to flash any ROM in a single flash because its will not allow you to flash the boot.img file of it's kernel
    3-so when flashing any ROM or kernel you need to flash ROM zip file from recovery then you need to extract boot.img file from ROM zip on your PC and boot into bootloader to push the extracted boot.img from your PC using this fastboot command every time "fastboot flash boot boot.img" if you are using Linux you may have to start your command with sudo

So for flashing here on HOX it's same for ROMs as for kernels

To change recovery for HOX it's nearly as same as flashing boot.img

For recovery you need to get into bootloader to flash the needed recovery.img using fastboot command "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

And after each fastboot command you need to place this command order "fastboot erase cache" to prevent boot loops

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk