[Q] General Nandroid question about restoring a backup and custom kernels

Search This thread

cardula

Aug 30, 2012
Edmonton
Hi

I have a couple of questions, been digging around xda and the web and found some conflicting answers...

1) Does a Nandroid backup also back up the kernel? I'm thinking about dabbling with some custom kernels, but don't want to potentially mess things up as well as have an easy way back to the stock kernel if I don't like the custom one for one reason or another.

2) What would happen if I made a Nandroid backup from recovery, did a full wipe (/data, /system, /sdcard, caches), rebooted then restored from the Nandroid backup?

I'm still pretty new to all this but I've done some reading and a wee bit of flashing & rooting on Nexus devices and the HP Touchpad. I also have an old TF101 that I'd really like to tinker with as well.

Thanks!

Ragkhuza

Mar 6, 2014
Hi

I have a couple of questions, been digging around xda and the web and found some conflicting answers...

1) Does a Nandroid backup also back up the kernel? I'm thinking about dabbling with some custom kernels, but don't want to potentially mess things up as well as have an easy way back to the stock kernel if I don't like the custom one for one reason or another.

2) What would happen if I made a Nandroid backup from recovery, did a full wipe (/data, /system, /sdcard, caches), rebooted then restored from the Nandroid backup?

I'm still pretty new to all this but I've done some reading and a wee bit of flashing & rooting on Nexus devices and the HP Touchpad. I also have an old TF101 that I'd really like to tinker with as well.

Thanks!

I don't know much about kernel but I do know that Nandroid backup backups everything exactly where the phone is.

That means if you do factory reset and restore Nandroid backup it will restore everything from the day you made the Nandroid backup.

I hope it clarifies everything.

Last edited:

TheArc

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jan 1, 2012
Auckland
Let me answer your questions.

1. When you do a nandroid backup, it backs up everything. Including the kernel.

2. If you nandroid backup, factory reset your device then restore your nandroid backup. Your device will return to the same state you had it previously. You will have all your content, files and settings. However if you do a backup, then factory reset and reboot, your device will be wiped of everything but it will boot up. As if the device was just turned in upon purchase. Also note, if you do a backup, then wipe your device (factory reset) you will not lose your backup.

Just note, if you ever flash a ROM, even if the developer states there is no issues. MAKE A BACKUP, sometimes things go wrong.

Happy flashing ;)

If I helped, don't hesitate to hit that Thanks button ;)

Reactions: cardula

cardula

Aug 30, 2012
Edmonton
Thanks for the quick replies!

I was a bit confused about 2) because I read somewhere that if you make a nandroid backup of a stock ROM, then install a custom ROM (non-Stock based ie CM, PA or OmniROM) you must flash the stock ROM again before you can restore the nandroid backup, or else restoring the nandroid backup will not work. Is this true?

Consider the following example, say I:
-flash TWRP on my device and root
-make nandroid of stock, rooted ROM
-wipe /data, /system, /sdcard and caches and reboot back into recovery
-ADB push a non-stock custom ROM .zip file and flash the custom ROM
-decide I want to return to stock, rooted ROM after a while
-Boot into TWRP, then wipe /data, /system, /sdcard and caches and reboot back into recovery
-ADB push my original stock, rooted nandroid backup to /sdcard while in reocvery
-restore nandroid backup

What would be the outcome of the above example? I'm very curious...but I'd like some advice before attempting something like this myself as I'm still kinda new to all this :)

BTW I'm now comfortable flashing back to stock using fastboot and the google facotry image to restore a Nexus device so I now know how to do this in case things go south. I'm just curious if this would work on a device where returning to a full stock state isn't so easy.

TheArc

Jan 1, 2012
Auckland
No you don't need to install anything to get back to the previous state. So if you had a stock rooted ROM, then backed it up. But you decided to flash, let's say. Cyanogenmod but you wished to return back to stock, you don't need to flash stock ROM, all you have to do is just wipe data and restore your backup.

And for the example.

The outcome would be, you would be resulted with a stock, rooted rom.

Reactions: cardula

TheArc

Jan 1, 2012
Auckland
No worries, if you have any other questions to ask, just ask. xda is a giving community :)!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let me answer your questions.

1. When you do a nandroid backup, it backs up everything. Including the kernel.

2. If you nandroid backup, factory reset your device then restore your nandroid backup. Your device will return to the same state you had it previously. You will have all your content, files and settings. However if you do a backup, then factory reset and reboot, your device will be wiped of everything but it will boot up. As if the device was just turned in upon purchase. Also note, if you do a backup, then wipe your device (factory reset) you will not lose your backup.

Just note, if you ever flash a ROM, even if the developer states there is no issues. MAKE A BACKUP, sometimes things go wrong.

Happy flashing ;)

No you don't need to install anything to get back to the previous state. So if you had a stock rooted ROM, then backed it up. But you decided to flash, let's say. Cyanogenmod but you wished to return back to stock, you don't need to flash stock ROM, all you have to do is just wipe data and restore your backup.

And for the example.

The outcome would be, you would be resulted with a stock, rooted rom.

Thanks again, krishneelg3 for the quick reply. Been wondering about this for a while.

Cheers