Google free Nexus 4

Search This thread

jherbold

Oct 11, 2007
Somewhere out west
Some thoughts

Getting rid of Google is actually fairly easy at the expense of some usefulness. Getting rid of all cloud services is a bit trickier but can be done. Getting rid of all apps that access to net - you have just a phone. I went that far.

I find I am not comfortable at either extreme. Like everyone, I need to find a balance between privacy and convenience. As an experiment I'm going to load gapps but neuter Google's data collection as best as I can by setting sync off for all except one or two services, turning off location services, Google Now, etc.

I'll visit my dashboard in a few days and see how it looks. Major thanks to the OP for this very enlightening thread.

Nov 22, 2013
I am not yet a Google free user but I hope soon join the rest of you. I use xprivacy to manage "data collecting" from apps.
Maybe it can be useful for some of you

wideasleep1

Jun 2, 2006
For some inexplicable reason, my Nexus 4 has been a breeze compared to my Nexus 5. Both on Purity, stock kernel, but Aptoide and 1Market seem to have no issues on the N4, but seem quirky and refuse to download certain apps on my N5. Baffling. Anyway...I highly recommend downloading Bittorent Sync to do your own personal cloud, synced to all mobile devices and any home machine, especially anything on 24/7/365. That sole app is worth the effort, in any attempt to reduce or eliminate your sigint. If unable to extricate from Google Services entirely, the GApps Sandboxed Browser I mentioned earlier gives quick access to main services via browser, and I'm convinced with the Google Framework missing means both phones run faster. My N4 flies! :)

Reactions: howard bamber

gtg465x

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 16, 2008
Just to clarify, are you only opposed to Google collecting data about you or are you against any large corporation that might collect data? Because if it's just a Google hatred, you could always just get an iPhone or Windows Phone. With those you can be Google free and have a much better experience (IMO) than a totally stripped down Android device.

Reactions: dankatz1

howard bamber

Jun 4, 2012
Southport
Thought I was the only one. I'm totally google free now. I use tor browser, handsent messaging, Aptiode, which has cleaned its act up. I could go on. Found an app on xposed framework which breaks the Google account link which is where I started. That was the main thing, having to use Gmail to use my phone. I've made my own "non gapps apps" package which I put on the rom of choice. I'm looking at getting sailboat os, or something like that as most roms are based on android. I'd like a duel boot system

Sent using reversed alien technology...

stormjenkins

Jan 30, 2013
Thought I was the only one. I'm totally google free now. I use tor browser, handsent messaging, Aptiode, which has cleaned its act up. I could go on. Found an app on xposed framework which breaks the Google account link which is where I started. That was the main thing, having to use Gmail to use my phone. I've made my own "non gapps apps" package which I put on the rom of choice. I'm looking at getting sailboat os, or something like that as most roms are based on android. I'd like a duel boot system

Interesting.... What is you're"non gapps apps" package consisted of?

I am experimenting with this google free idea too. I read in previous posts about owncloud and would like to try it out using my own server. This process definitely will take more work than usual but I see the benefit of cutting certain ties. This is what I have come to love about android is the choices(this is my first android device).

I have only tried Fdroid so far, but what are others experiences using alternate app markets? Which ones are more "reliable"?

Thanks
SJ

howard bamber

Jun 4, 2012
Southport
Hi I use Aptiode. Some say it is dodgy but it's 100s of individual app shops. Any app you click on will show if its safe, been tampered with etc. It uses the latest anti malware, anti virus, software. I've never had trouble. As I said Handsent, for messages. Firefox and TOR browser for the Web. Mail. com, for mail. Box for storage. Just go to the app store. Type in the Google product ie maps and look at the alternatives. Read the reviews. I did this until I had what I wanted, which is pretty basic, made an apps folder and saved it to box

Reactions: stormjenkins

rcoliveirajr

Hey all. Lately I've been on a mission to "cut the Google" cord and have now worked my way down to my Nexus 4. I was wondering if anyone else in the Nexus 4 community runs a Google free device.. Maybe we can share our setups and suggestions.. Android for me isn't what it was when I first got involved.. More and more Google seems to want to dig deeper and deeper into tying everything on a phone into their servers.. I'm sorta over it and Google itself at this point with their hamfisting of their apps and services .. I love the OS, not the company.. Hence.. AOSP without Gapps..

My Google free setup right now is the following

ROM: Raskat (without any Gapps or Google Play Services obviously)

I use the following as my software sources.. Main one being 1Mobile Market which is one of the largest (and legal) Play Store alternatives.. Even has Chrome, Maps, Play Services etc if you actually want Google apps. (which would defeat the purpose but they are there)

Amazon App Store
F-Droid
1Mobile Market
Slide Me

Mail: I haven't ditched gmail yet as I have 3 gmail accounts and it's going to be the largest move away from Google and saving it for last. I connect with the AOSP email IMAP client for now though.

Browser: Cleared all my saved bookmarks and passwords off Googles Dashboard and manually create a list of bookmarks saved locally only in AOSP browser. Passwords all saved locally in KeePass

Contacts: I exported my contact list from the Google servers as a Vcard (then deleted them all from Google) and imported it to my contacts app. I keep a backup on a cloud service and locally if I update them.

Maps: I use MapQuest as it doesn't rely on the Google Maps API.

Calendar: is my only missing link right now as most all calender apps I found rely on Google Calenders framework to sync etc.

So far I'm enjoying it. I lost a lot of payware from the Play Store I've bought over the years but I'm learning to live without it. I'm thoroughly enjoying knowing my device is truly Google free at this point.

What's the problem with Google bro? This company is so awesome for me :D

jherbold

Oct 11, 2007
Somewhere out west
Current setup

Device - Google Nexus 4
Rom - Purity 4.4.2 (ART)
Custom host file - recovery flash http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1916098
Gapps - none
Plan - T-Mobile $30 unlimited/100minutes
Launcher - Nova
Browser - Firefox, DuckDuckGo default search
App stores - F-Droid, Amazon, 1Mobile
File handlers - ES (via recovery zip), Total Commander, FastFTP, owncloud
Maps - OsmAnd, BackCountry Navigator
Gasbuddy - bookmark, mobile web site via Firefox
Calendar - Standalone, synced to owncloud via CalDav Sync app
Contacts - native, synced to owncloud via CardDav beta app
Voip dialer - MagicJack
Password mgr - KeePassDroid synced to owncloud
Sports - ESPN ScoreCenter
Books - Amazon Kindle
Backups - Easy Backup app
Notes/Grocery list/Todo - Text Editor, files synced to owncloud
Expense mgr - Basic program, files synced to owncloud http://laughton.com/basic/

howard bamber

Jun 4, 2012
Southport
Current setup

Device - Google Nexus 4
Rom - Purity 4.4.2 (ART)
Gapps - none
Launcher - Nova
Voip dialer - MagicJack
Books - Amazon Kindle
Expense mgr - Basic program, files synced to owncloud http://laughton.com/basic/

What did you do with the part of the OS which roms don't change which is google o/s? The Android system and services frame work?
The first is listed as Google in an app search in the system. I'm on a non google phone. No playstore no nothing but that darn company is based in flashing roms can't clear it fully. Who knows what spying it does

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

lilgiz

Sep 25, 2010
After reading through this thread, I decided to try it out. I did a clean install of my home built RastaKat along with PA micro Gapps. Using the playstore, I installed my Tibu, Root Explorer and my other paid apps to make sure I had the latest installed. I then dirty flashed RastaKat without flashing Gapps. On boot up the first thing I did was manually remove the Google Play Services out of the data partition since it auto updated there almost immediately after the original boot. After that I reinstalled most of my apps with TiBu. There were probably about 4 apps which would not install, I'm assuming due to needing some Google services framework. Off the top of my head, Gas Buddy, Costco, Key Ring & iTriage did not install for me. I still have a few open source Google apps, but nothing proprietary. I having do miss Google Voice & My Tracks though, as I haven't found a suitable replacement yet.

I've been running this set up for about a week now and can't say I've had any issues of note. I believe I now have 3 pc's, 2 laptops, a phone and a tablet which are free of any proprietary software from either Microsoft, Apple or Google! :good: Edit: I forgot I have Windows installed on Virtual Box on one of my pc's

Thanks to the OP for the ideas

Last edited:

Kubino

Jun 21, 2010
I'm finding some calendar which is not synchronize with Google account and allow import ics file. Any idea's?

PBaran

Dec 8, 2013
Great post, thanks. One question: So if I completely delete my Google account, I can't re-download the apps I paid for from 1MobileMarket or AppBrain? I've checked both sites, and all the apps I paid for are there.

So far I'm enjoying it. I lost a lot of payware from the Play Store I've bought over the years but I'm learning to live without it. I'm thoroughly enjoying knowing my device is truly Google free at this point.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: gorilla p

gorilla p

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2011
STL
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Great post, thanks. One question: So if I completely delete my Google account, I can't re-download the apps I paid for from 1MobileMarket or AppBrain? I've checked both sites, and all the apps I paid for are there.

So far I'm enjoying it. I lost a lot of payware from the Play Store I've bought over the years but I'm learning to live without it. I'm thoroughly enjoying knowing my device is truly Google free at this point.
[/QUOTE]
I would contact some of the devs of the payware and see if they'll send you a copy or something.

gorilla p

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2011
STL
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
This is exactly why this thread was created. It was only a matter of time before Google decided to start picking and choosing what information they want to look for and turn over to the police. (I wouldn't be surprised if there was some tax incentive in the future). While I am happy this sicko is behind bars, I am not happy at all with Google thinking it is OK to go through peoples personal e-mail, pictures and turn them over to the police arbitrarily.

http://www.dailytech.com/Internet+C...or+Turning+in+Child+Predator/article36345.htm

BassBlaster

Dec 12, 2011
Dubai
Why are people so privacy conscious geez... No matter how much I try to understand I still can't wrap my head around it. Are you guys hiding secret missile plans in your phones or something?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all. Lately I've been on a mission to "cut the Google" cord and have now worked my way down to my Nexus 4. I was wondering if anyone else in the Nexus 4 community runs a Google free device.. Maybe we can share our setups and suggestions.. Android for me isn't what it was when I first got involved.. More and more Google seems to want to dig deeper and deeper into tying everything on a phone into their servers.. I'm sorta over it and Google itself at this point with their hamfisting of their apps and services .. I love the OS, not the company.. Hence.. AOSP without Gapps..

My Google free setup right now is the following

ROM: Raskat (without any Gapps or Google Play Services obviously)

I use the following as my software sources.. Main one being 1Mobile Market which is one of the largest (and legal) Play Store alternatives.. Even has Chrome, Maps, Play Services etc if you actually want Google apps. (which would defeat the purpose but they are there)

Amazon App Store
    F-Droid
    1Mobile Market
    Slide Me

Mail: I haven't ditched gmail yet as I have 3 gmail accounts and it's going to be the largest move away from Google and saving it for last. I connect with the AOSP email IMAP client for now though.

Browser: Cleared all my saved bookmarks and passwords off Googles Dashboard and manually create a list of bookmarks saved locally only in AOSP browser. Passwords all saved locally in KeePass

Contacts: I exported my contact list from the Google servers as a Vcard (then deleted them all from Google) and imported it to my contacts app. I keep a backup on a cloud service and locally if I update them.

Maps: I use MapQuest as it doesn't rely on the Google Maps API.

Calendar: is my only missing link right now as most all calender apps I found rely on Google Calenders framework to sync etc.

Current setup

Device - Google Nexus 4
    Rom - Purity 4.4.2 (ART)
    Gapps - none
    Launcher - Nova
    Voip dialer - MagicJack
    Books - Amazon Kindle
    Got my Contacts and Calendar problem solved.. Both sync with my home PC now.

Very simple.. Setup a Linux install, install owncloud. MySQL, and use CalDav Sync Adapter and CardDAV..

I can now access my Owncloud server via the network, add events, or contacts and it will sync with my phone.. Or vice versa.. Complete syncing without any outside cloud service.. I AM the cloud service! I use the Google Calendar but add the CalDav Sync adapter account instead of my Gmail account to sync across to my home PC.

What I will do now is throw together a dedicated linux server (running through VirtualBox right now) so I can sync across the internet (accessing a server over the net through virtualbox is a pain and much easier to just setup a dedicated server)

This-is-awesome *Clap*Clap*ClapClapClap*

KBIFmWF.png

Xbr8Rve.png
    After reading through this thread, I decided to try it out. I did a clean install of my home built RastaKat along with PA micro Gapps. Using the playstore, I installed my Tibu, Root Explorer and my other paid apps to make sure I had the latest installed. I then dirty flashed RastaKat without flashing Gapps. On boot up the first thing I did was manually remove the Google Play Services out of the data partition since it auto updated there almost immediately after the original boot. After that I reinstalled most of my apps with TiBu. There were probably about 4 apps which would not install, I'm assuming due to needing some Google services framework. Off the top of my head, Gas Buddy, Costco, Key Ring & iTriage did not install for me. I still have a few open source Google apps, but nothing proprietary. I having do miss Google Voice & My Tracks though, as I haven't found a suitable replacement yet.

I've been running this set up for about a week now and can't say I've had any issues of note. I believe I now have 3 pc's, 2 laptops, a phone and a tablet which are free of any proprietary software from either Microsoft, Apple or Google! :good: Edit: I forgot I have Windows installed on Virtual Box on one of my pc's

Thanks to the OP for the ideas
    I really never understood this. If you don't have anything to hide why does it matter? Yes it should be private, but no actual employee from Google is sitting there looking at your data. Google is an ad company and the data they have allows them to do things that no other ad company can do, which allows them to provide us awesome services for no charge what so ever. Its pretty much impossible to have %100 privacy no of days now matter what you do.

But if this is what you want to do, go for it.
    Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using Tapatalk