[ROM] CyanogenMod 9 / August 18 / Stable!?!

Search This thread

dalingrin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 6, 2007
None of the things in my google+ post have been merge just yet. We are implementing them in a non device specific way so it takes a little more time to get this done. I feel the initial time investment will be worth it in the future.
The 3.1 kernel probably won't be merged until after the features are done. We also have another 2.6.39 kernel that is not based on the Asus stock kernel. This kernel is based on nvidia's kernel tree and has really great battery life. BumbleBee and others have removed many of the Asus hacks and now have a very clean kernel. I'm going to test this kernel tonight and talk with BumbleBee about merging this kernel for now while work continues on the last few issues in 3.1.

paddycr

Jan 25, 2012
OnePlus 8T
I flashed this rom a couple of hours ago and I am really enjoying it. So far it is really smooth and I have had very few problems. As it is a nightly I was expecting it to be buggy as hell but this really is not the case. The dock shortcut keys are not a big deal to me but I suppose it would be nice to have them working. The only thing that is annoying me is that the apostrophe key is not working - I guess that it is having the added effect of improving my English! I see people having issues with wifi but mine is the same as with stock roms and aokp.

Big thanks to the whole CM team for being awesome and Komodo Rouge for getting this info out there.

Sent from my Transformer Prime using xda premium

TechSavvy2

Sep 26, 2011
Thanks for the info. I don't want to sound like a know-it-all but your wrong. All of the buttons work just fine on jermains aokp v1.2 and the previous build 1.12. I'm actually using it right now I just pressed them all to make sure that the OP in the thread was correct. It's pretty sweet actually.

Sent from my EPAD using XDA

Sorry. I changed my statement to not be misleading. Maybe it is just a bad flash cuz I nand back to it and a lot of my top action keys were unresponsive. Maybe I'm just having issues with my dock because it has serious lag when typing too now.... But now that I've ran other roms since then, its been on all of em. Even Virtuous..... Fml.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

blublub

Oct 22, 2009
In the past weeks a lot has been done. Stable Rom and 802.1x wlan connections are now working properly - really cool :).
However over locking does not seem to work, cores are stuck at 1.2ghz no matter what I set in the prefs.

Gesendet von meinem Transformer Prime mit Tapatalk 2

knives of ice

Jul 12, 2007
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2
None of the things in my google+ post have been merge just yet. We are implementing them in a non device specific way so it takes a little more time to get this done. I feel the initial time investment will be worth it in the future.
The 3.1 kernel probably won't be merged until after the features are done. We also have another 2.6.39 kernel that is not based on the Asus stock kernel. This kernel is based on nvidia's kernel tree and has really great battery life. BumbleBee and others have removed many of the Asus hacks and now have a very clean kernel. I'm going to test this kernel tonight and talk with BumbleBee about merging this kernel for now while work continues on the last few issues in 3.1.

awesome can't wait for this update. getting all the keyboard shortcuts working and the new kernel should be huge.

blublub

Oct 22, 2009
Hi

I do have quite a lot random reboots 3-4 in 2 hours. It always seems to happen when youtube is running in the webbrowser. Is there a youtube apk to test if its browser related?

dalingrin

Nov 6, 2007
In the past weeks a lot has been done. Stable Rom and 802.1x wlan connections are now working properly - really cool :).
However over locking does not seem to work, cores are stuck at 1.2ghz no matter what I set in the prefs.

With the current kernel(will change soon) you can still overclock in the same way as you would with stock. The EZOverclock app can bumb it up to 1.6ghz and you can set the performance mode in Settings->Advanced(under the device section)
Note in the current nightly this performance mode setting is not saved on reboot. I'll be submitting a patch to add a toggle to set on boot.

Hi

I do have quite a lot random reboots 3-4 in 2 hours. It always seems to happen when youtube is running in the webbrowser. Is there a youtube apk to test if its browser related?

Hmm, I've literally not had a single reboot since I started using CM9 versus stock. Same thing goes for the "Browser not responding"

Scuddster

Sep 26, 2010
Nashville
No reboots here either. I have a few random freezes for a couple of seconds occasionally.

Sent from my Transformer Prime using xda premium

blublub

Oct 22, 2009
OK thank you. Reboots seem only to happen when overclocked to 1.6. With aokp and moteleys kernel I used 1.8ghz and had no problems. I will monitor this.

Komodo Rogue

Oct 30, 2010
DC
OK thank you. Reboots seem only to happen when overclocked to 1.6. With aokp and moteleys kernel I used 1.8ghz and had no problems. I will monitor this.

My clock speed is also set to 1.6 max, and I have performance mode enabled, but I haven't noticed this either. I know it sucks, but personally I would do a fresh system/cache/dalvik wipe and reinstall. Good luck!

silentheero

Dec 8, 2010
Anyone use the GPS dongle with any of the nightlies? Just got my dongle, but it does not seem to work. I know there was a silent update to the official firmware that had drivers or whatever that recognized the dongle. Anyone know what those files were or how to get them?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

qubz

Jun 12, 2007
A parallel dimension
Anyone use the GPS dongle with any of the nightlies? Just got my dongle, but it does not seem to work. I know there was a silent update to the official firmware that had drivers or whatever that recognized the dongle. Anyone know what those files were or how to get them?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

It's not going to be a simple copy paste to get it working. The CM device maintainer is going to have to properly merge the required files/settings for it to work.

Reactions: silentheero

Komodo Rogue

Oct 30, 2010
DC
I am waiting for more features with CM9, in the meantime, just wanted to say thanks to the OP. Your work is very appreciated.

Thanks :) I feel obligated to point out again that I have nothing to do with CM9 (I don't ever want to be accused of stealing credit!), but the small amount of "work" I do maintaining this thread is actually more than I had anticipated.

Does this rom support usb ethernet?
Thx.

I have never used usb ethernet on my prime - or any android device, for that matter - but I just looked through the settings for you and didn't see anything listed except wifi. Perhaps there's an app... *sigh* cliche unavoidable... perhaps there is an app for that? I do know that USB to ethernet dongles exist, and people have used them on the tf101. Sorry not a very helpful response, but hopefully better than no response.

TechSavvy2

Sep 26, 2011
Thanks :) I feel obligated to point out again that I have nothing to do with CM9 (I don't ever want to be accused of stealing credit!), but the small amount of "work" I do maintaining this thread is actually more than I had anticipated.

I have never used usb ethernet on my prime - or any android device, for that matter - but I just looked through the settings for you and didn't see anything listed except wifi. Perhaps there's an app... *sigh* cliche unavoidable... perhaps there is an app for that? I do know that USB to ethernet dongles exist, and people have used them on the tf101. Sorry not a very helpful response, but hopefully better than no response.

Yeah, ASUS makes a dongle specifically for our device. I think he just was asking if CM9 rom supports it.......which I kinda doubt since no other tablets have native keyboards for them........you might ask Jermaine if he can whip up something for it since he does AOKP, which is basically over-featured version of CM9. I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Deathmo

Aug 17, 2011

I use it on stock rom and it works realy good.
It works like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYGv-U8n1lc&feature=player_embedded

And there are many usb to ethernet adapter that work.
Here is the thread.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1573447

Last edited:

makelegs

Aug 14, 2010
Kansas City
Testers....

Ok, guys....I see talk of wanting more features in cm9.

HERE is a build that is heavily cherry pick laden, and has some tf201 specific cherries, too. Nobody has confirmed that this boots, yet, so have a nandroid on hand, just in case. New GAPPS dropped, today, so if anyone was going to wipe before flashing them, good time to try out a new build.

cherry pick list is in my sig. I'm very interested in confirmation of boot and wifi function.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    August 16
    Quick note on the OP

My apologies for neglecting the original post for nearly a month! I'm a kindergarten teacher, and I've been super busy preparing for the approaching school year.

I think the OP is mostly just a tool for newcomers (especially now that support for the 201 kinda slowed down - I'm sure most of you don't need a guide to flash your daily dose of CM, and don't need an OP!).

That said, I still think it's an important tool, because there are always newcomers. The OP could just get erased entirely and this thread/the discussion would survive, but I don't think newcomers would be as likely to start using CM without a handy OP. Whether or not that matters is up to you. Personally, I like seeing CyanogenMod grow (that's what she said?), and I think a larger install base = a better CM (that's what she said?), but to each their own.

For the nxet few months, I will try to keep up with the updates, but my guess is that I'll update about twice a month. That leaves a few options: 1) just let the OP updates be infrequent, 2) start a new thread, or 3) hand over the reigns to someone else.

option 1: Not my favorite. Like I said, I think a somewhat up-to-date OP is a good thing.

option 2: Not my favorite, UNLESS a mod can merge the new thread with the old thread. Many questions and answers are in these pages, and it's nice to search within a single thread and not the entire board

option 3: My favorite! If someone else wants to take over, it's cool with me. You can even have all of the "thanks," which some people care about so deeply. I only ask that you keep it classy - like CyanogenMod - and flash the updates yourself before posting.

I know from asking the mods before that people can't "share" OPs, I know from experience that nobody wants to do a google docs OP (*sniff*), but maybe someone can take over full ownership? if not, then I push for option two, but I'd like to see this old thread live on! Yes, it's an unofficial thread, but some of the devs have posted here, and I even got dalingrin's blessing in a PM, which is enough in itself to make this thread special!

So if you want to be the OP, just ask me, and we'll ask a mod to do some voodoo. failing that, maybe I could just give you my account...? But I'm not a huge fan of that idea, because I'm still going to use XDA.

Why does this thread exist?
    TL;DR answer:

It exists so that the thread title will say something like "[ROM] CyanogenMod 9 / Updated April 3," the OP will have relevant information, and people will have a place to discuss CM9 on XDA.

It does NOT exist because I want thanks (I do not) or because I want to scam people for donations (I have no donation link).

Long answer:

Right before the CyanogenMod team began posting nightlies for the TF201, theeggman posted his own build. In his thread, he stated: "Once official nightly builds are downloadable and confirmed useable, I will no longer regularly update this build." True to his word, his build (and the OP) is no longer updated. Despite the fact that the [KANG] label does not apply to the official nightlies, and the OP is not up to date, CM 9 users like myself are still posting on that thread.

There are two small problems with using that thread: 1) CM 9 users need to check CyanogenMod to see if new builds are available, because the thread title is never updated 2) The OP does not reflect the current offerings from CyanogenMod; unless you read the thread, you wouldn't even know that nightlies exist. I posted my concerns about this yesterday, and asked if anyone would object to a new thread devoted to the official CM nightlies (and stable builds, when/if they become available). Almost 24 hours have passed, and nobody has posted any objections, so I went ahead and created this thread.

Update:

I hoped that this could become a collaborative OP, but I asked Mr. Clown, and he said that it is not possible to share editing rights for posts. However, I really think it could be helpful to collaborate on things that change frequently, especially when considering the fact that we all use our tablet differently. With this in mind, I suggested a Google docs collaboration that could get periodically copied and pasted into the OP. If you're a regular CM user interested in helping, send me your gmail and I'll add you to the doc's list of editors.

Moving on!​

CyanogenMod 9 for the TF201!
    I am not affiliated with CyanogenMod in any way, shape, or form. Please direct your thanks and donations to the CyanogenMod team, or consider donating to some of the other fine TF201 ROM developers on XDA.

Alert! CyanogenMod 9 may irreversibly break your TF201. Also, you need to unlock your bootloader to install CM 9, which completely voids your TF201's warranty. You assume ALL responsibility for any damage. Use CyanogenMod at your own risk. If you are not willing to accept these risks, then do not proceed.

Features: There are dozens of websites - including the official CyanogenMod website, found below - that describe the features of CyanogenMod, so describing them here would be superfluous. If a new feature premieres on a build for the TF201, it will be noted on the build list. In a nutshell, it has a very stock AOSP/vanilla/Nexus feel, but with performance tweaks and added tools/abilities.

Screens can be found here and changelog can be found here. (thanks paddycr)​

Some fun news about CyanogenMod 9 (and ten!)

CM10 (running Jelly Bean!) will probably come our way!

Interesting presentation by CyanogenMod founder, neat stuff, not overtly technical. Check it out for some opinions, history, knowledge of how CyanogenMod works as an organization.

Latest Nightly
    • Released August 16
    • Size: 132.79 MB
    • MD5: cc1621b630e54a32cea024ef8fce5444

Latest Release Candidate (RC)
    • Released July 19
    • Size: 132.49 MB
    • MD5: 484e9cb7318e484c84a1434921cb6de7

Latest Stable build
    • Released August 10
    • Size: 132.79 MB
    • MD5: 62bebfdf39cfa91a93676e363b6442c6

Known Issues

Remember, this thread is not maintained by a CyanogenMod developer, so these issues are not necessarily going to be addressed; this is just information for people considering using this ROM.

• Toggling WiFi on/off can, in certain situations, freeze and reboot the tablet (WiFi issues seem to be completely fixed!)
    • Screen wakes upon closing tablet dock
    • External SD does not support NTFS
    • Battery Stats usage not available (only bar graph, no apps)
    • CyanogenMod custom setting to skip to next/previous track using volume keys when screen is off works poorly; one track can be skipped, but the volume keys turn the screen on, reverting the volume keys to their volume behaviors. Device is NOT set to wake with volume keys.

These issues are (hopefully) compiled collaboratively by other forum members on a Google doc. If you use CyanogenMod on your Prime, your help with the list would be very appreciated!

Installation instructions

Prior to installation, please make sure you have read and understand the red "Alert!" above.

So your tablet is unlocked has root access? Time to install a custom recovery. When your tablet has root access (helpful) and is unlocked (mandatory), installing a custom recovery is easy, thanks to some amazing apps that are freely available on the android market. If this is your first time flashing a ROM, there are a few different ways to proceed, but I would suggest downloading either "ROM Manager" or "GooManager" from the Play market: they are probably the easiest ways to install a custom recovery. Both are very user-friendly. ROM Manager will help you set up ClockWork Mod (CWM, not to be confused with CM), GooManager will help you set up TWRP.

I get a lot of questions about this, so put another way: The free apps ROM Manager and GooManager can help you install custom recovery ClockWork Mod or TWRP, respectively. You need a custom recovery to install CyanogenMod. Although incredibly helpful, you do not need need ROM Manager or GooManager, but they can help you install a custom recovery. If you're not sure which one to use, just read their threads and see what appeals to you. I'm inclined to suggest ROM Manager / CWM because they have been around for a super long time and it's included with CyanogenMod, but I have used CWM and TWRP with CM9 and they both work great.

If using CWM: You MUST use Clockwork recovery 5.8.2.0 or higher. If you have an older version of clockwork installed, you will run into problems. If you made a nandroid with an older version, make a new nandroid. I think the easiest way to update is to use the ROM Manager app, available on the market.

Update: In fact, use 5.8.2.0 specifically, which can be found in ROM Manager under the heading "all CWM recoveries" (or something) near the bottom of the list. ROM Manager may make you install the latest version of CWM before allowing you to install the alternate versions, but don't let that scare you; just flash the latest, and then flash 5.8.2.0. Apparently the latest CWM update brought some problems for the TF201? someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Have you been using Root Keeper? Great app, but it doesn't play nice with the alternate recoveries (and now that you have an unlocked bootloader, you don't need it anymore anyway - CM9 is already rooted, turn it on/off in the settings). Delete the root backup, uninstall the app, and delete any backups (like TiBu backups) you have made of Root Keeper, as well as any nandroids that include Root Keeper.

The following instructions assume that your bootloader is unlocked and you installed a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP:
    1) Download CyanogenMod 9 (below) Be sure to make note of the MD5 checksum. After the download finishes, make sure the MD5 on the download page matches the MD5 on your downloaded file (there are many apps that calculate MD5 freely available on the market). Your ROM file will probably be in your downloads folder.
    2) Turn off your prime
    3) If docked, remove your prime from the dock
    4) Holding the volume down button, turn your prime back on. When you see the white text appear in the top left, press volume up.
    5) Make a nandroid backup
    6) New to CyanogenMod? Wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, and wipe dalvik cache. If you're updating from an older nightly, that step is probably not necessary.
    7) Install .zip from SD card, and chose the file you downloaded earlier
    8) (optional) Install .zip from SD card, and chose the gApps
    9) Reboot!

ALSO: Thanks to disturb3d1, you can watch his how-to-install-CM video here. Unlock, root, custom recovery install, and all sorts of other how-to videos are also available.

Download CM 9

As this ROM is build from stock CM sources the GPL parts can be found in the official CM repo (thanks Diamondback)

Download gApps
    The gApps link is for April 29, 2012.

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/
    I wouldnt worrie about CM9 development for the tf201 slowing down, im in no rush to stop maintaiing the CM9 setup for it. Jelly bean is just around the corner, as well as there bing a maintainer for tf300t (tf201 / tf300t are very similer im most respects)

That wifi patch has been merged as well as a fix for the screen rotate animation issue :)

Aslo i wouldnt assume that no commits to the device setup means that development is slowing down as such. Maintainters do this out of free time so progress can slow, for example im a university student so when i have deadlines to meet there ill have to put android projects on the back burner ;)
    Anyone with the rotation problem please post a full logcat and "adb shell dmesg". My device doesn't seem to suffer from this issue :)

If you didn't realise I'm bumble-bee the official cm maintainer ;-) logs would be a huge help here
    The gps wrapper will be in nightlys from now on :) extenel gps kits should work