[GUIDE] Simple method to return AT&T Galaxy Note to full stock.

Search This thread

macked

Apr 12, 2011
Springfield MA
Hey guys, I saw someone asking in an old thread I made if it was possible to go back to full stock ROM with stock recovery and 0 on the flash counter. Having done this myself last week, and having to grab info from multiple sources to accomplish it, I figured I would throw together a simple guide to help others (and myself in the future).

Things you will need to download:

1. Da_G's stock system, kernel and recovery. File can be found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1506330
  2. braway's latest Odin flashable clockwork recovery found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1584576
  3. braway's Odin flashable flash counter reset found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1569206
  4. and of course Odin found here http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=581913&d=1304094576

Ok, so now we have everything we need. This guide assumes you have drivers installed and have adb working. If not, google is your friend.

1. Fire up Odin and boot your phone into download mode. This is done by simultaneously holding the power button and volume down until the screen goes black, then release the power button while still holding volume down. When prompted press volume up to enter download mode.
  2. Extract Da_G's pda-odin-att-stock.rar. We now have pda-odin-att-stock.tar.
  3. Now in Odin, make sure the only thing checked is Auto Reboot. Click the PDA button and select pda-odin-att-stock.tar. Click the start button.
  4. Once phone has rebooted, let the phone settle for a couple minutes then reboot it back into download mode. (volume down + power). Now click the PDA button again and this time select the Odin flashable clockwork recovery file (ex. cwm-touch-i717-120414.tar.md5). Click start.
  5. Once the phone has rebooted and stabilized, drop the flash counter reset file onto your sd-card, then reboot into recovery by holding volume up + volume down + power. When screen goes black, release power button and wait for clockwork to show. Flash the flash counter reset, then reboot the phone.

Now for the hard (and risky, SO READ CARFULLY) part, we have to get stock recovery back on our phones without tripping the flash counter. (thanks again to braway)

1. Take the stock tar we flashed earlier (pda-odin-att-stock.tar) and extract that file. Take recovery.img and put it on your sd-card (I put it on the internal and external sd-card just to be sure). Reboot the phone into recovery (volume up+down+power). Go to mounts and storage, then mount the sd-card.
  2. Issue the following adb command. I SUGGEST YOU COPY AND PASTE IT, IF YOU TYPE IT WRONG YOU WILL HARD BRICK YOUR PHONE.

Code:
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22

And that's it folks. We now have a fully stock ROM, kernel, and recovery with 0 on the flash counter. If anyone has any comments or a way to further simplify this process please comment below and I will incorporate it into the guide. Good luck and always read the instructions twice.

This guide was made possible by people much smarter than I am, namely braway and Da_G. If you want to properly thank these guys I suggest dropping a couple bucks in their donation boxes:

Da_G donation link.

braway donation link.

Scythe024

Nov 14, 2011
H
  1. Take the stock tar we flashed earlier (pda-odin-att-stock.tar) and extract that file. Take recovery.img and put it on your sd-card (I put it on the internal and external sd-card just to be sure). Reboot the phone into recovery (volume up+down+power). Go to mounts and storage, then mount the sd-card.
  2. Issue the following adb command. I SUGGEST YOU COPY AND PASTE IT, IF YOU TYPE IT WRONG YOU WILL HARD BRICK YOUR PHONE.

Code:

And that's it folks. We now have a fully stock ROM, kernel, and recovery with 0 on the flash counter. If anyone has any comments or a way to further simplify this process please comment below and I will incorporate it into the guide. Good luck and always read the instructions twice.

This guide was made possible by people much smarter than I am, namely braway and Da_G. If you want to properly thank these guys I suggest dropping a couple bucks in their donation boxes:

Da_G donation link.

braway donation link.

Umm.... How do u issue the adp command? i mounted the sd card, but no idea how i would copy the code or where to even enter it

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

FML, i did all this but the last step and everything is constantly crashing. it was crashing way before i even got to that step.

I cant dl ICS via Kies either, im f'd right now. HELP

Last edited:
Reactions: cforceleritas

kinghorsey

Oct 27, 2010
You don't need to use the adb command. Just flash stock via Odin again in download mode then flash the counter reset.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: cforceleritas

StarLog

Apr 29, 2008
Orlando, FLA.
Their is an easier way to do this with Kies.
Someone posted a thread in here with the method, when I get home, I will post the process, as another way if you do not want to use ODIN.

hottschott

May 9, 2012
Followed everything to the T. Was able to use ADB to send the command successfully at the end of the instructions. Every step worked and went flawlessly. Yet, still cannot update to ics via kies or OTA. Get the message "your device cannot update via kies". I guess there is just no way of bringing these back to out of the box brand new straight from the factory?

Finagle69

Apr 27, 2012
I think you left out the Radio.

When I did this, it still had UCLF6 Baseband.

After flashing stock rom via Odin, you need to Odin the stock Radio (baseband).

Then Odin CWM.

Then flash the counter reset (via CWM).

Then and only then will it be completely stock and update-ready for Kies.

hashbrown

Aug 15, 2006

Then Odin CWM.

All I did was flashed stock rom and CWM in Odin. I flashed the stock radio UCLA1 and the counter reset in CWM.
How do you flash the stock radio in Odin?
I have the AT&T Note UCLA1 radio zip from here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1597052

Last edited:

JohnnyQ1964

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I remember seeing a step by step on how to return to stock and resetting counter to 0 (zero)... It was going from a custom ROM via CWM and returning to stock via Odin with the recovery being last to be reflashed. Anyone know where this is. I've been browsing a whack of threads on this and can't find it.

Thanks in advance.

nitrohelipga

Dec 28, 2012
Jupiter, Florida
Noob needs help with last few steps to return to full stock

Following the guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1634087 to return my Galaxy Note i717 to full stock after it was bricked due to a botched root attempt. I've been able to get to step 5 Ok but I'm stuck at this point. Step 5 calls out for droping the flash counter reset file onto your sd-card. Not sure of the right way to go about this. I don't have an external SD card and can't seem to access internal SD card. Only option on phone is to format usb storage.

Attachments

• SC20121228-131512.jpg
    SC20121228-131512.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 380

nitrohelipga

Dec 28, 2012
Jupiter, Florida
Just download the reset zip using the phone.
It goes to the browser internal storage anyway ...g

Thanks for your reply, I was able to place the zip file on the phone in the USB storage folder using samsung Kies. I've completed step five, now I've run into a problem with the final two steps. I've placed the recovery.img file onto the USB storage folder on the phone and deleted all other files in that folder. I've used USB storage because I don't have an SD card. When I go into recovery mode and go to mounts and storage and try to mount SD card I get an error. I saw the option to mount the USB storage so I tried that but to no avial. I just get the option to unmount the USB storage by going back the phone says. No ADB commands come up if that's right again I'm totally green here. I'm I forced here to have to get an SD card to continue? Need help again, all this stuff takes some getting use to.

nitrohelipga

Dec 28, 2012
Jupiter, Florida
You don't need to use the adb command. Just flash stock via Odin again in download mode then flash the counter reset.

I tried this but when I flashed the counter reset zip file the program failed signature verification. When I tried to copy and paste the adb command using adb the response was "could not find file,directory did not exist. followed instructions to the T. Just need to complete the last step to get the phone back to stock with 0 on the counter. Need help

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
I just want to revert to stock. Do I need to worry about the counter etc...not taking the phone back. Just havent ever tried the stock with all the fancy tricks using the little fancy pen thingy LOL.

Is there a flashable ROM I can use for stock that I can flash from CWM perhaps?

You can either go stock rooted or Odin stock completely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

Reactions: mahgninnuc93

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, I saw someone asking in an old thread I made if it was possible to go back to full stock ROM with stock recovery and 0 on the flash counter. Having done this myself last week, and having to grab info from multiple sources to accomplish it, I figured I would throw together a simple guide to help others (and myself in the future).

Things you will need to download:

1. Da_G's stock system, kernel and recovery. File can be found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1506330
    2. braway's latest Odin flashable clockwork recovery found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1584576
    3. braway's Odin flashable flash counter reset found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1569206
    4. and of course Odin found here http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=581913&d=1304094576

Ok, so now we have everything we need. This guide assumes you have drivers installed and have adb working. If not, google is your friend.

1. Fire up Odin and boot your phone into download mode. This is done by simultaneously holding the power button and volume down until the screen goes black, then release the power button while still holding volume down. When prompted press volume up to enter download mode.
    2. Extract Da_G's pda-odin-att-stock.rar. We now have pda-odin-att-stock.tar.
    3. Now in Odin, make sure the only thing checked is Auto Reboot. Click the PDA button and select pda-odin-att-stock.tar. Click the start button.
    4. Once phone has rebooted, let the phone settle for a couple minutes then reboot it back into download mode. (volume down + power). Now click the PDA button again and this time select the Odin flashable clockwork recovery file (ex. cwm-touch-i717-120414.tar.md5). Click start.
    5. Once the phone has rebooted and stabilized, drop the flash counter reset file onto your sd-card, then reboot into recovery by holding volume up + volume down + power. When screen goes black, release power button and wait for clockwork to show. Flash the flash counter reset, then reboot the phone.

Now for the hard (and risky, SO READ CARFULLY) part, we have to get stock recovery back on our phones without tripping the flash counter. (thanks again to braway)

Code:

Da_G donation link.

braway donation link.

Then Odin CWM.

You don't need to ADB recovery, you can flash this from CWR and it will set your recovery back to stock without tripping your counter.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25671063&postcount=139
    H

Code:

Da_G donation link.

braway donation link.

Umm.... How do u issue the adp command? i mounted the sd card, but no idea how i would copy the code or where to even enter it

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

FML, i did all this but the last step and everything is constantly crashing. it was crashing way before i even got to that step.

I cant dl ICS via Kies either, im f'd right now. HELP