[Q] XT1060 4.4.4 OTA Boot Loop

Search This thread

coreno

Jul 16, 2009
TWRP Recovery
Rooted
Xposed framework installed

Been getting bugged for the 4.4.4 update, and I wanted to open and look at the ZIP out of curiosity, so I hit install now, thinking it still needed to download... but turns out it didn't, and rebooted right away.

So now I'm stuck in a boot loop of sorts.... it boots, and loads up Android, and I can use the phone, but after about 20-30 seconds it reboots into recovery.

Is there an easy way out of this without wiping everything? Preferably a modded OTA that I can install for the 4.4.4 update.

Dburgessme2

Jan 3, 2012
Check out the thread under general tab to use RSD Flasher or House of Moto to install the 4.4.4 FXZ

DB's Moto X

Reactions: coreno

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
TWRP Recovery
Rooted

Been getting bugged for the 4.4.4 update, and I wanted to open and look at the ZIP out of curiosity, so I hit install now, thinking it still needed to download... but turns out it didn't, and rebooted right away.

So now I'm stuck in a boot loop of sorts.... it boots, and loads up Android, and I can use the phone, but after about 20-30 seconds it reboots into recovery.

Is there an easy way out of this without wiping everything? Preferably a modded OTA that I can install for the 4.4.4 update.

The above post is good advice. If you use House of Moto with the full 4.4.4 FXZ, you can choose to "KEEP DATA".

You will need to flash TWRP back on and re-root afterwards AND re-install Xposed, but all of your apps and settings will remain intact.

The reason this happened is because you have TWRP installed - taking OTAs *always* requires you to have STOCK recovery - not custom.

Good Luck :good:

Reactions: coreno

coreno

Jul 16, 2009
The above post is good advice. If you use House of Moto with the full 4.4.4 FXZ, you can choose to "KEEP DATA".

You will need to flash TWRP back on and re-root afterwards AND re-install Xposed, but all of your apps and settings will remain intact.

The reason this happened is because you have TWRP installed - taking OTAs *always* requires you to have STOCK recovery - not custom.

Thanks for the replies. Thanks for the reply... the phone eventually decided the update failed and gave up. Apparently clearing the cache would've also probably worked.

But, now I've reflashed stock recovery, removed xposed, and unrooted. I should be safe to just take the OTA now, right?

I would've done the FXZ earlier, but didn't realize there was a keep data option.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Thanks for the replies. Thanks for the reply... the phone eventually decided the update failed and gave up. Apparently clearing the cache would've also probably worked.

But, now I've reflashed stock recovery, removed xposed, and unrooted. I should be safe to just take the OTA now, right?

I would've done the FXZ earlier, but didn't realize there was a keep data option.

You can try, and it will probably work....but if it were me, I'd still use the FXZ and keep data option. It's cleaner and no chance of something going wrong. Afterwards, just do like I said -- re-flash TWRP, re-root, then reinstall Xposed.

coreno

Jul 16, 2009
You can try, and it will probably work....but if it were me, I'd still use the FXZ and keep data option. It's cleaner and no chance of something going wrong. Afterwards, just do like I said -- re-flash TWRP, re-root, then reinstall Xposed.

Thanks for you help! I am all upgraded and got everything back going to the way it was! :)

jco23

Nov 17, 2011
Just to add my experience: I too tried to apply the update (rooted, 4.4.2, xposed, stock recovery, locked boot loader).
Got the boot loop you mentioned.
Only remedy was for me to quickly go into root explorer and rename the 3c.ota.apk and 3c.ota.odex files. Now I no longer get the notifications (unless I reboot my phone).

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Just to add my experience: I too tried to apply the update (rooted, 4.4.2, xposed, stock recovery, locked boot loader).
Got the boot loop you mentioned.
Only remedy was for me to quickly go into root explorer and rename the 3c.ota.apk and 3c.ota.odex files. Now I no longer get the notifications (unless I reboot my phone).
And in your case, it was Xposed.

There are several threads (and posts) discussing conditions for taking an OTA. You need stock recovery, have to disable Xposed, and you need to be close enough to stock so the pre-flash verification will pass. Otherwise, the OTA will fail, and/or you'll get stuck in a boot loop.

There is a little more to it as well, but I'll ask you to see the other threads.

jco23

Nov 17, 2011
Thought I disabled xposed. But perhaps not. I've read other threads. From my understanding, I won't be able to root (or even the quasi-root) on 4.4.4 with a locked boot loader.
Thx for the reply.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Check out the thread under general tab to use RSD Flasher or House of Moto to install the 4.4.4 FXZ

DB's Moto X
    TWRP Recovery
    Rooted