[Q] Titanium Backup superuser permissions

Search This thread

Kedrigern38

Mar 9, 2011
I'm having issues with Titanium Backup that I hope someone can help with. This problem popped up suddenly, but may have been after an update. Have done extensive research in CM7 and XDA forums, Titanium FAQ, etc., and can't find a fix.

I have a rooted Nook Color with CM7.1 nightly installed on EMMC. Every time I run Titanium Backup, the following message keeps flashing up continuously during the backup:

'Titanium backup has been granted Superuser permissions'

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling Titanium and reinstalled/checked superuser settings. Titanium Backup is listed as having superuser permissions but the log shows 200 entries. I clear the log, run a backup and 200 more log entries appear in superuser. The same happens with my HTC Aria. Everything else seems fine.

I would suspect the ROM and reinstall, but the exact same issue is happening with Titanium Backup on my rooted HTC Aria running CM7.1.0-liberty. So, I believe it is an issue with Titanium. I've tried Problems? fixes in Titanium with same results

Here's the NookColor specs from About Tablet:

Model
NookColor

Android Version

Baseband Version
Unknown

Kernel Version
erik@myhost #171

CPU info
ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v71)

Mem info (avail/total)
169 MB/480MB

Mod version
CyanoMod-7-11162011-NIGHTLY-encore

Build number
GWK74

I really appreciate all the hard work that's been done by the people at XDA and Cyanogen turning the inexpensive NookColor into a full-blown Android tablet. You guys rock! This problem has me stumped, though. What am I missing or doing wrong? I'd rather not have to reinstall on both devices to get this fixed if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
If you suspect Titanium then it might be better to tell us what version of the app you are running. If you just started having this happen, on two devices no less, after a recent update of the app itself, your best fix is probably finding an older version of titanium and rolling back to that.

Grab a logcat of the issue and send it to the developer if an older version fixes the problem. Assuming you have the most recent. Just to make sure it will be fixed for the next update.

Kedrigern38

Mar 9, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply.

My original Titanium version was 4.9.1. I went to the Titanium site and downloaded/installed the prior version with the same results. It looks like the update may not be causing the issues.

Some other things I tried:

Uninstalled Avast Mobile Security (in case it was messing up permissions)

Ran Fix Permissions in ROM Manager

Cleared superuser data and gave Titanium permission again

None fixed the issue on the NookColor. I haven't messed with the Aria, yet.

This has got me stumped. Is there a certain version of superuser that must be installed? I believe an updated version was available on the Google Play market. May have installed the update.

If you suspect Titanium then it might be better to tell us what version of the app you are running. If you just started having this happen, on two devices no less, after a recent update of the app itself, your best fix is probably finding an older version of titanium and rolling back to that.

Grab a logcat of the issue and send it to the developer if an older version fixes the problem. Assuming you have the most recent. Just to make sure it will be fixed for the next update.

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
I am kind of confused what the problem is. Does it finish making the backup? The "Titanium has been granted superuser permission" is nothing more than a toast notification. I think you can turn that off somehow but not sure atm.

I just checked my Superuser log and I see the same entries in mine as you have more or less. But everything is running as it should be.

When I run SDmaid I also get multiple toasts and that is actually what I saw in my log with multiple entries like your TB issue, but everything is running just fine. Unless you are not getting a full complete backup, I wouldn't worry about it. I am using newest version of TBpro too.

Reactions: Kedrigern38

GMPOWER

Jul 29, 2010
I'm having issues with Titanium Backup that I hope someone can help with. This problem popped up suddenly, but may have been after an update. Have done extensive research in CM7 and XDA forums, Titanium FAQ, etc., and can't find a fix.

I have a rooted Nook Color with CM7.1 nightly installed on EMMC. Every time I run Titanium Backup, the following message keeps flashing up continuously during the backup:

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling Titanium and reinstalled/checked superuser settings. Titanium Backup is listed as having superuser permissions but the log shows 200 entries. I clear the log, run a backup and 200 more log entries appear in superuser. The same happens with my HTC Aria. Everything else seems fine.

I would suspect the ROM and reinstall, but the exact same issue is happening with Titanium Backup on my rooted HTC Aria running CM7.1.0-liberty. So, I believe it is an issue with Titanium. I've tried Problems? fixes in Titanium with same results

Model
NookColor

Android Version

Baseband Version
Unknown

Kernel Version
erik@myhost #171

CPU info

Mem info (avail/total)
169 MB/480MB

Mod version

Build number
GWK74

I really appreciate all the hard work that's been done by the people at XDA and Cyanogen turning the inexpensive NookColor into a full-blown Android tablet. You guys rock! This problem has me stumped, though. What am I missing or doing wrong? I'd rather not have to reinstall on both devices to get this fixed if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.

What you described is all normal. Titanium backup needs superuser permissions to be able to access/backup/restore system files and settings. If you run a full backup with TB, it will request, and be granted superuser permissions many times. Where I think you might be getting a little confused, is older versions of Superuser just listed the allowed/rejected apps. The newer versions of Superuser show the allowed apps along the left hand side, and a 200 entries log of what apps were granted/rejected superuser permissions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kedrigern38

Kedrigern38

Mar 9, 2011
What you described is all normal. Titanium backup needs superuser permissions to be able to access/backup/restore system files and settings. If you run a full backup with TB, it will request, and be granted superuser permissions many times. Where I think you might be getting a little confused, is older versions of Superuser just listed the allowed/rejected apps. The newer versions of Superuser show the allowed apps along the left hand side, and a 200 entries log of what apps were granted/rejected superuser permissions.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have had Titanium on the NookColor since I rooted and installed CM7 two years ago and never noticed the superuser permission messages. It must be as you said, that it's being granted superuser permission many times--it looks like as it starts to back up each app. The backups are successful as I've restored a couple of apps without problems.

Thank you again.

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
Seems that you can't within the TB app. You can go into GUI->Notification Toasts and change the way the look (Default, Cloud or Parchment).

Might be away to turn off the Toast in the SU app but it's an "If it ain't broke don't fix it type thing". Although now probably bc of this thread, you'll be looking for it everytime. Funny how subliminals work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am kind of confused what the problem is. Does it finish making the backup? The "Titanium has been granted superuser permission" is nothing more than a toast notification. I think you can turn that off somehow but not sure atm.

I just checked my Superuser log and I see the same entries in mine as you have more or less. But everything is running as it should be.

When I run SDmaid I also get multiple toasts and that is actually what I saw in my log with multiple entries like your TB issue, but everything is running just fine. Unless you are not getting a full complete backup, I wouldn't worry about it. I am using newest version of TBpro too.

Model
    NookColor

Android Version

Baseband Version
    Unknown

Kernel Version
    erik@myhost #171

CPU info

Mem info (avail/total)
    169 MB/480MB

Mod version

Build number
    GWK74

Thanks in advance.