Nexus 5 doesn't boot to recovery

Search This thread

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
if you take an official ota or manually flash an official update, you will lose root and your recovery, period. this has always been this way since day 1. you can always flash a prerooted stock rom usually hours after the ota is releaded, theres on available. or, you can take an ota or manually flash the official update. the stock rooted rom you can flash dirty and not lose any info, it usually takes 3-4 minutes. an ota or manual official update will take your root and custom recovery away. at that point all you have to do is reflash your recovery then flash the latest supersu in that recovery. that is all. theres no need to make it any more complicated.

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
if you take an official ota or manually flash an official update, you will lose root and your recovery, period. this has always been this way since day 1. you can always flash a prerooted stock rom usually hours after the ota is releaded, theres on available. or, you can take an ota or manually flash the official update. the stock rooted rom you can flash dirty and not lose any info, it usually takes 3-4 minutes. an ota or manual official update will take your root and custom recovery away. at that point all you have to do is reflash your recovery then flash the latest supersu in that recovery. that is all. theres no need to make it any more complicated.

Hi is on 100% stock since he got his phone. For some reason the recovery got corrupted during the last ota update to 4.4.3. He didnt want root or unlock bootloader just to reflash the recovery, then go back to 100% stock again and install back all the apps. So, I came up with a solution which flashes back the stock recovery without wipe, root, and unlocking bootloader.

Reactions: maschenazi

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Hi is on 100% stock since he got his phone. For some reason the recovery got corrupted during the last ota update to 4.4.3. He didnt want root or unlock bootloader just to reflash the recovery, then go back to 100% stock again and install back all the apps. So, I came up with a solution which flashes back the stock recovery without wipe, root, and unlocking bootloader.

ahh.. then i read it wrong. my apologies. good luck.

maschenazi

Nov 26, 2008
Butzbach
! Resolved !

I am at home now!

Download this and extract it.
Do the Preparation part from here. Note: to make LG flashtool work, you have to copy the MegaLock.dll from the crack folder to C:\LG\LGFlashTool. Skip the part where I ask you to download DLL and Firmware, because we are going to use the dll, and the firmware from the recovery.rar.
Now move on to the Flashing the firmware part. As DLL you have to select LGUP_8974.dll from the recovery folder, and as S/W you have to select the recovery.tot file from the recovery folder. Ensure that UPGRADE DL is selected in the Action Mode section.
Click on OK, then click on the yellow arrow to start the process. Reconnect your device (unplug and plug it again) when you see the READY!! text at COM41.
Now here comes the part where you have to be careful. After the reconnection make sure you press the volumde_down buttom until the flashing process finishes and the phone restarts to fastboot, or every user data on your phone will be wiped (download apps, every file on your sdcard).
When you are in fastboot, select reboot recovery and lets see what happens.

After the flashing please open 8974_COM41.log file which are in the LOG folder, where the DLL and the recovery.tot are, and search for this text: device factory version
If device factory version is LGD821AT-00-V10b-NXS-XX-OCT-31-2013-KRT16M-USER-16G+0, then we are okay. If it is not then, tell the correct device factory version, and I will modify the recovery.tot to use your original device factory version in order to restore it.

Thanks a lot. Managed to flash the recovery without unlocking my phone and without factory reset. :good:
I successfully side-loaded KTU84P 4.4.4 update from recovery. Everything looks OK.
Cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

ahh.. then i read it wrong. my apologies. good luck.
    I'm in UK. I bought it from the UK Google Play Store the day it was launched, so I guess it would have had the first 4.4.0. I can vaguely remember having to download something even before I got to set up my phone.
    then I beleive you initially had android 4.4.0 krt16m build and not that version which were forced to do an ota update before you could use your phone. I will be at home around 08:00 pm which is 07:00 pm in your time zone. Thanks for your infos. There is a chance that you get your phone wiped, but it only happens if you not fast enough. But later I will tell you everything as soon as I get home.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el
    :laugh: Do I get to practice to get faster ?
    I'll be as swift as I can, cheers :D
    Yes you can practice :D. type adb reboot and press and hold volume_down before your phone turns off, if you get to fastboot mode, then you are fast enough.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el
    :laugh: Do I get to practice to get faster ?
    I'll be as swift as I can, cheers :D

I am at home now!

Download this and extract it.
    Do the Preparation part from here. Note: to make LG flashtool work, you have to copy the MegaLock.dll from the crack folder to C:\LG\LGFlashTool. Skip the part where I ask you to download DLL and Firmware, because we are going to use the dll, and the firmware from the recovery.rar.
    Now move on to the Flashing the firmware part. As DLL you have to select LGUP_8974.dll from the recovery folder, and as S/W you have to select the recovery.tot file from the recovery folder. Ensure that UPGRADE DL is selected in the Action Mode section.
    Click on OK, then click on the yellow arrow to start the process. Reconnect your device (unplug and plug it again) when you see the READY!! text at COM41.
    Now here comes the part where you have to be careful. After the reconnection make sure you press the volumde_down buttom until the flashing process finishes and the phone restarts to fastboot, or every user data on your phone will be wiped (download apps, every file on your sdcard).
    When you are in fastboot, select reboot recovery and lets see what happens.

After the flashing please open 8974_COM41.log file which are in the LOG folder, where the DLL and the recovery.tot are, and search for this text: device factory version
    If device factory version is LGD821AT-00-V10b-NXS-XX-OCT-31-2013-KRT16M-USER-16G+0, then we are okay. If it is not then, tell the correct device factory version, and I will modify the recovery.tot to use your original device factory version in order to restore it.
    Forgot to mention, mine is the 32gb variant, if it matters.
    I will give it a try later today or tomorrow when I get a chance. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

It counts, don't start until I send you the proper files!

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Forgot to mention, mine is the 32gb variant, if it matters.
    I will give it a try later today or tomorrow when I get a chance. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Here are the proper files for 32GB version of nexus 5 https://mega.co.nz/#!nggDURwR!Vov9Fdz-TRIGuoVAQWxSlKHhlOPSBJENDSebVLG3yWE