cannot safely connect to server [emails]

Search This thread

adithebratt

Jun 3, 2011
mumbai
hi guys can anyone help suddenly i cannot mail anyone from my yahoo account i get error cannot safely connect to server(not trusted server certificate)
i tried to remove the account and set it up again but now its not even setting it up and giving the error(java.security.cert.certpathvalidatorException:trust anchor for certification path not found)

my gmail is working fine

Last edited:

It_ler

Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S10
hi guys can anyone help suddenly i cannot mail anyone from my yahoo account i get error cannot safely connect to server(not trusted server certificate)
i tried to remove the account and set it up again but now its not even setting it up and giving the error(java.security.cert.certpathvalidatorException:trust anchor for certification path not found)

my gmail is working fine

What are the exact settings for your yahoo account?
I do not mean your email and password ... that should be on your side only.
I mean server, port, protocol, etc.
Did you configured it as premium (IMAP) or POP3 or Microsoft Exchange Active Synch?
Which security type have you selected (no, SSL, TLS, ...)?

You can specify all this settings in manual config.

I think that Yahoo only supports POP3 (pop.mail.yahoo.com) for incoming and SMTP (smtp.mail.yahoo.com) for outgoing mails.
But I am not sure as I do not have a Yahoo mail account.

If your Yahoo mail synchronization worked before, you have enabled SMTP already at Yahoo for your account.
But what happened that this does not work any more?
Have you changed a special setting, another account, firmware, installed or un-installed an app?

Sometimes it is helpful to wipe the cache in recovery mode (Volume UP + Home + Power).

Good luck !

adithebratt

Jun 3, 2011
mumbai
Yes i updated my firmware frm 2.3.3 to 2.3.5 last week and actualy never used my yahoo after that so do know when it started today i tried to mail but it gave error sending failed not a secure conection so i deleted the acount and tried to setup up again now its just not seting up giving me error i mentioned before i tried all settings imap pop3 ticked accept all ssl certificate n saw bt no use it says unable to connect

P.s :gmail is working fine

adithebratt

Jun 3, 2011
mumbai
I installed k-9 app and it easily setup my yahoo acount and i can mail through it too dont know what went wrong with the default application(social hub)
stil i would like to know what went wrong if anyone could help

fred_up

Jul 14, 2008
I know this may sound stupid, but can you get into the Yahoo account via the web (on the phone or PC)? At least this will confirm you have the correct username/email address and password.

What server settings did you put in?

adithebratt

Jun 3, 2011
mumbai
Brother i said i can access now via k9 but still not via the default social hub and yes i can acces through pc and mobile browser too
i tried all the possible settings in the social hub like pop3; imap ;ssl certificate on; accept all ssl certificate but no use so currently i m using k9

i think it has to do something with the certificate validation as the error says so but i dont know the solution to it

p.s : phone not rooted

Last edited:

zbenye

Oct 26, 2011
Had the same error today. Read somewhere to change the Yahoo account's outgoing settings on the phone to SSL with accept all certificates, but that didn't help. So I changed security type to None, and all mail starting flowing out of the outbox again. Guess next time I get the error I'll change back to SSL...

adithebratt

Jun 3, 2011
mumbai
I cant change the outgoing settings of server unless i login and i cant setup only the yahoo account so i dnt get option of manuly editing outgoing server

kiamori

Aug 7, 2010
Rochester
This is an SSL problem, android does not always include all chained root certificates.

You will still get an error like this:

Cannot safely connect to server.
(java.security.InvalidAlforithmParameterException: trusteAnchors.isEmpty())
Certificate chain[0]:
Subject: CN=(SSL common name here), OU=Domain Control Validated - RapidSSL(R), OU=See
etc...

This needs to be fixed in the build.

I get this problem running latest android 2.3.7, CM7 with SavagedZen Kernel

Would love a fix so I can use SSL again.

mmustain

Feb 17, 2012
I also starting getting this today (Cox email). Changing the SSL option to "SSL (Accept all certificates)" fixed it for me.

Reactions: mariom

boohoo_

Jul 24, 2012
after sougote

On the email settings tap on outgoing settings and change security type to none.
That worked for my AOL account it might work for others. Worth a try anyway.

jerung3000

Jan 18, 2009
i'm facing the same problem...

solution is go to application->setting->Account and sync->add account..

Then yahoo account that I put in account&sync will auto display in mail..

So I didn't facing the giving the error(java.security.cert.certpathvalidatorExceptio n:trust anchor for certification path not found)...:fingers-crossed:

Dan-LL

Aug 5, 2017
ATT.net mobile email stopped July 25th : solution

my gmail is working fine

I've been using Att imap.mail.att.net for years for inbound mail (on my Android phone using 4.4.2 ) and ATT mail stopped receiving on July 25th for no obvious reason. I fussed with it a while and fortunately was able ot figure it out. If you follow my steps it should work:

Another contributor mentioned "can't safely connect to server" is actually an SSL error message. He's right... for reasons unknown they've changed something about SSL.

You must change your SSL setting from SSL to the alternative : SSL (accept any certificate) The phone informs you it is testing the connection after you change this. with just SSL it will fail, but once you've changed it you will notice the error message has changed.

Once you observe the test is passing, you have the original problem fixxed, but I still had to mop up the existing mess. Here's what I did:
1.) jotted down all the settings in the imap screen including my account name etc.
2.) Removed the account (with imap all messages are still on the server and will come back later)
3.) reboot (this may have been superfluous
4.) reinstalled the mail account using the jotted down settings ... and don't forget .. set to SSL (accept any certificate)

That should do the trick.... Take care

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I also starting getting this today (Cox email). Changing the SSL option to "SSL (Accept all certificates)" fixed it for me.