Rooting 2.3.6 Samsung Replenish!!! Success!!!

Search This thread

isavegas

Mar 8, 2012
Spring
alt link: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-guide-stock-2-3-6-replenish.html#post1651482

REVISED TUTORIAL IN ROOTING 2.3.6 SAMSUNG REPLENISH
warning for experienced adb users!: this was made with noobs in mind. you may learn something (from me! a noob! XD) but anyways, enjoy!

this does not affect anything on the phone except for adding the ability to access root permissions. CWM is not permanent, it disappears after you use it, and nothing on the phone is affected, as far as i know, but i had just factory reset the phone, so use at your own risk...

you may need to know:
root of a drive- drives are designated C:\ or D:\ or whatever letter in windows. Just go to "computer" and double click the first item. That location is the "root" of a drive.

Note: make sure you have at least 400 mb of memory (i know, thats alot, but just in case) on your sd card so you can back up your entire phone! i reccomend doing every optional step!!! It'll save you hassle if you have problems. If you can't make room for some reason, and you still wanna try, you should skip step 8. I don't suggest it though.

1. download "odin.zip" and "su" here: https://www.box.com/shared/620b03e95cc0814fefc8 and unzip to your desktop. if you dont have the android sdk, simply copy the "adb.exe" file from "odin.zip" to the root of your primary drive for later. Just go to "computer" and double click the top icon/item. It should say something about C:/. If you're on Mac, sorry. Idk much about it. As for Linux, I have no clue how you'd even try to do this. I love Linux but, sadly, can't experiment with this in it. WINE has its limits....... And I don't think adb or Odin would work.

2. download the "su" file and put into into "platform-tools" where you installed the android sdk, if you have it, or put onto the root of your primary drive if you havent.

3. start phone while holding "spacebar" and "p". "downloading..." should appear on the screen in yellow text

4. plug into the computer and run "Odin_Multi_Downloader_v4.42.exe"

5. select SPHM580.ops for "OPS" and Replenish-CWM5.tar for "One Package" (they should be the only options) DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!

6. hit "Start" and DO NOT REMOVE PHONE FROM USB.

7. as the phone reboots, hold "u" until CWM opens and set the phone down. you should close Odin now.

8. use the volume keys to navigate to the backup and restore option and use enter to select backup. wait for it to finish completely and take you back to the the CWM main UI. backing up here creates a pure recovery, untouched by anything. CWM is NOT installed into this recovery. continue with the guide.

9. open the command prompt (type cmd.exe in search or run in the start menu, depending on your version of windows) or use some form of terminal emulator on your operating system of choice. command prompt is preferred due to the fact i know it can get the job done, but do what you will.

10. navigate to the drive your sdk is on and into "platform-tools" or to the folder you put the adb.exe and su files on. the default should be [name of drive]:\Users\[username]\. use the "cd.." command til youre at the root of the drive, and if you installed the sdk, type "cd android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" or just go to the root of the drive and go to the next step if you havent. just be sure adb.exe and su are there.

11. type this in line for line, with enters in between. the blue "~#" in the later lines is the prompt you should have. do not type this. it will be in blue. (clockworkmod should still be open on your phone at this point)

adb shell
~#mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/stl12 /system
~#exit
adb push su /system/bin/

adb shell
~#chmod 777 /system/bin/su
~#reboot

DO NOT CLOSE THE COMMAND PROMPT YET FOR THE SAKE OF CONVENIENCE

If you have problems with that, try using CWM to mount "/system". Some friendly people over at androidcentral pointed that out. I personally didn't have that problem, but I'm glad it's fixed.

12. when your phone has rebooted, go back to the open command prompt, which should be where it was before you typed "adb shell"

13. type "adb shell". you will see a prompt of "$." type "su." if you have a prompt of "#" rejoice! you have permanent root! now you can go on the Play Store and find "Superuser" and "Busybox" (they should be free. if you cant find it, get ahold of me and ill try to supply the newest updates) if not, and you have a backup from optional step 2, you should go through til you hit CWM and restore the backup. if not, make one now and reattempt everything aside from downloads and the moving the files around on your computer. Also, someone said something about "chmod 06755 /system/bin/su", so if you might try using that instead of "chmod 777 /system/bin/su". 777 worked for me, but maybe this works better for you.

OPTIONAL FINISH STEP: I dont know how you install CWM permanently, but you should do this so you can make backups of your rom and store them somewhere like on a box.com or mediafire.com account if you decide to mess with something on your phone. (use hjsplit to break it into pieces for uploading and reassemble after download for flashing if its too big). to use a recovery, enter CWM (either the way i have here or if you have permanently installed, just reboot and hold "u") and navigate to "backup and restore," "restore," and select the recovery you wish to use on your sd card (make sure when you take out a backup for storage, you zip up the entire folder with the name that contains the date and time of your backup.) it will overwrite everything on your phone to be exactly like it was when you backed it up.

good luck! have fun! :D

Note: if you rename the CWM backup file, make sure it DOESN'T HAVE A SPACE or it'll give you something about md5 or something not matching. If it says this, remove any spaces in the name and try again. I had it happen on my xperia play and freaked, thinking it was soft-bricked permanently one time, til I found out about cwm's glitch with that.
Also, I uploaded pretty much everything needed for rooting the phone, with comments pertaining to each file. This includes current (as of July 31, 2012) copies of Superuser.apk, a busybox installer, and the busybox and su binaries, as well the Odin package containing the tools to temp flash CWM.

the odin.zip file and the process of achieving CWM temp-flashing was found at http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...method-samsung-replenish-android-2-3-6-a.html and credit for that part is given to joshua.worth, although I took it a different path than he did.
Update to above info: to simplify things, I uploaded all relevant files to box so people can get them easier. The su file went missing from xda, most importantly, so I fixed that, and added an updated binary in case someone has trouble with the other one.

contact me at isavegas@live.com if you cant pm me. :)

Sorry if it takes a while to respond. Life's been kinda crazy for me lately, and I am using my new phone (no service) to do this over wifi.

Last edited:

isavegas

Mar 8, 2012
Spring
ahh... well, turns out unrooting cannot be done with a CWM backup... you probably have to find a nandroid or a clean version of kernel with rom. the su file dissapears, although root is still there. ill keep playing with it, i have an idea why root stays although su disappears from the system files. anyways, i will still supply a backup thats pre-rooted for anyone who is willing to have a fresh start on their replenish. it will have superuser.apk preinstalled along with busybox, and everything else will be wiped. this will be a sprint backup, so if anyone has the boost version and is willing to back up with CWM and factory reset, then follow my guide, install busybox and superuser.apk, then back it up again, id be eternally grateful to have a copy :D

by the way, if anyone has problems with restoring a backup due to "md5" tags or whatever it is, make sure the name of the backup has no spaces. i was freaking out til i found that tip on an obscure forum (well, to me. i dont have a Motorola. lol. just a Sony Ericsson and 2 Samsungs)

update: sorry i havent uploaded the backup. i realized it would give whoever used it the number on this phone and i have to fix that. havent had time to anyways, plus it would only work on a sprint phone. it would convert any boost mobile to sprint, so thats a no-go. sorry... :(

Last edited:
Reactions: arodey

cgrimm9

Sep 4, 2010
does this work for the boost mobile replenish that is 2.3.6 if so how long does it take to odin

isavegas

Mar 8, 2012
Spring
It should work. And Odin just flashes cwm (really fast) for the duration of the next boot cycle, which it automatically initiates, so hold the recovery button (I think it's u) as it goes into it and you'll have temp root. Make sure it's in download mode before you start. Remember, it cannot be unrooted, so if you value your warranty, plz think twice before doing it. I'm just here to supply the how-to if you decide to, not to say you have to. If you do, enjoy root access! :)

Last edited:

cgrimm9

Sep 4, 2010
It should work. And Odin just flashes cwm (really fast) for the duration of the next boot cycle, which it automatically initiates, so hold up (I think it's u) as it goes into it and you'll have temp root. Make sure it's in download mode before you start. Remember, it cannot be unrooted, so if you value your warranty, plz think twice before doing it. I'm just here to supply the how-to if you decide to, not to say you have to. If you do, enjoy root access! :)

Thanks. I did not know if there is a fail safe if something went wrong. so I was second guessing. Very simple to do thank you assuming with odin I made a back up. if I where to mess my system up I can use odin and restore my backup and I be back up and running again no need to sbf

isavegas

Mar 8, 2012
Spring
i keep getting : ~ # mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount: mounting /dev/block/mtdblock3 on /system failed: Invalid argument

hmm... i am familiar with the error (ive gotten it with 3 different phones in my attempt to root it, but i have succeeded each time regardless) but are you sure you actually have clockworkmod OPEN on your phone when the error shows up? i cant actually do anything from my end, because i no longer have a computer i can use to test anything, or the replenish i rooted with the method... but i opened the cwm several times before thinking to test the adb and seeing the "~#". i actually restarted the phone and did it again before actually rooting it, seeing if i had rooted it or what, and tho i got the same prompt every time it was booted in cwm, it wouldnt show up if i allowed the phone to boot normally after using odin, i HAD to ACTUALLY boot into the cwm menu, which is completely seperate from the OS itself, although it has access to the system files.

by the way, copy and paste this directly into the command prompt when you get to the step to avoid human error. mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system
or, if it wont work, try this mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

sorry bout the babbling XD. anyways, cwm should be circumnavigating the root permissions. hmm.... if you still have problems after that, try skipping to the adb push for the "su" file.

sorry i havent been on top of the thread. ill set up an email notification.

and by the way, something i found very useful on my xperia play when it went into infinite reboot, you can always just restore the system files in the advanced restore option, allowing you to keep all of your app data if, later down the line, your phone needs to be restored. hope this helps. it helped me XD thought id lose all of my messages, but nope. i decided to explore the advanced restore and yay! i got to keep them XD

UPDATE
I don't know if it matters to you anymore, but apparently, some people have trouble with this and fix it by going to the mount menu in CWM and mounting /system

Last edited:

halfcab123

Dec 16, 2010
Hampton Roads
Couple of corrections:

chmod 777 /system/bin/su

should be chmod 06755 /system/bin/su

and then following that command should be

ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su

and I saw someone say this is unrootable. Thats not correct. Simply running the unroot script would unroot. Doomlord made a nice one.

To use it do the following:

Code:
adb push unroot /data/local/
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/unroot
adb shell su -c "/data/local/unroot"
adb reboot
[code]

The above will unroot almost any android device.

Reactions: isavegas

isavegas

Mar 8, 2012
Spring
Couple of corrections:

chmod 777 /system/bin/su

should be chmod 06755 /system/bin/su

and then following that command should be

ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su

and I saw someone say this is unrootable. Thats not correct. Simply running the unroot script would unroot. Doomlord made a nice one.

To use it do the following:

Code:
adb push unroot /data/local/
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/unroot
adb shell su -c "/data/local/unroot"
adb reboot
[code]

The above will unroot almost any android device.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, Doomlord's method didn't work on it. I tried all manner of one clicks and manual versions and only this got even temporary root. It's a workaround based on forcing the phone to boot into a custom recovery. (I call it custom bc its not an "official" recovery.) And I chose the chmod by looking through many manual ways to root, and that one was popular, and it works. I had full root access afterwards. I tried to unroot afterwards, however, so I could take screenshots and stuff, but the su file would reappear, even after manual deletion or restoring to an unrooted backup. Anyways, point is, this is the only method I could get to work at all, and it does work. 

But the "chmod" night help other people, so ill make note of it in the post just in case. Thanks for the info. 

Sent from my rooted R800at using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

isavegas

Mar 8, 2012
Spring
Important fix----

If step 11 doesn't work, go to the "mount" menu in cwm and mount /system. Some people on androidcentral were kind enough to mention that this fixed their problem with mounting /system as rewritable

Sent from my R800at using xda app-developers app

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
Important fix----

If step 11 doesn't work, go to the "mount" menu in cwm and mount /system. Some people on androidcentral were kind enough to mention that this fixed their problem with mounting /system as rewritable

Sent from my R800at using xda app-developers app

thats because your command is wrong

isavegas

Mar 8, 2012
Spring
thats because your command is wrong

How? Throughout my own rooting of one of the phones, I had this working perfectly. Every time I hit a snag, I found a way around it and documented it. A few other people had errors show up because the phone itself hadn't mounted the system, but the problem was resolved, and only a couple people had any other problems, and they were unrelated to that. I assure you, every command works properly, as far as I know.

shabbypenguin

May 30, 2010
exactly my point. your command to mount system is wrong.

lets break it down shall we?

mount - this is teh command

-o remount,rw - this is where you tell it what option you want, in this case remounting as rw.

-t yaffs2 - here you are telling mount that it should expect a yaffs2 formatted device, which is not what the samsung replenish is. the replenish uses RFS (robust file system), the best way i can describe it is like telling your windows computer that your hard drive is fat32 when its actually ntfs.

/dev/block/mtdblock3 - this is where you tell mount what you are looking to mount, the issue here is that the replenish doesnt use MTD blocks, it uses STL's and BML's.

/system here is where you are trying to mount the said device to..

out of 5 parts you did get 3 correct tho. you might wish to modify your guide to reflect the actual mount command, for your device it is the following:

mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/stl12 /system

and that will kick out system as r/w :)

Reactions: isavegas

isavegas

Mar 8, 2012
Spring
exactly my point. your command to mount system is wrong.

lets break it down shall we?

mount - this is teh command

-o remount,rw - this is where you tell it what option you want, in this case remounting as rw.

-t yaffs2 - here you are telling mount that it should expect a yaffs2 formatted device, which is not what the samsung replenish is. the replenish uses RFS (robust file system), the best way i can describe it is like telling your windows computer that your hard drive is fat32 when its actually ntfs.

/dev/block/mtdblock3 - this is where you tell mount what you are looking to mount, the issue here is that the replenish doesnt use MTD blocks, it uses STL's and BML's.

/system here is where you are trying to mount the said device to..

out of 5 parts you did get 3 correct tho. you might wish to modify your guide to reflect the actual mount command, for your device it is the following:

mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/stl12 /system

and that will kick out system as r/w :)

Hmmmm.... Odd..... *shrugs* I had no problem with the command, but I guess other ppl had pickier computers or phones. Hell, Vista's buginess might have worked in my favor that time XD. Thanks for the pointer. I didn't really understand the exact way the replenish was built. I just found a lil guide for making it boot into cwm and found it allowed for me to use that as an exploit to root the device. In fact, I've done the same kind of stuff to root the samsung Intercept, except I made their own software flash a pre-rooted kernel. :p anyways, I'll update the guide on xda and androidcentral. Thanks!

shabbypenguin

May 30, 2010
Hmmmm.... Odd..... *shrugs* I had no problem with the command, but I guess other ppl had pickier computers or phones. Hell, Vista's buginess might have worked in my favor that time XD. Thanks for the pointer. I didn't really understand the exact way the replenish was built. I just found a lil guide for making it boot into cwm and found it allowed for me to use that as an exploit to root the device. In fact, I've done the same kind of stuff to root the samsung Intercept, except I made their own software flash a pre-rooted kernel. :p anyways, I'll update the guide on xda and androidcentral. Thanks!

chances are you had system mounted in cwm without knowing it.

for future knowledge always check the devices fstab for where to mount and filesystem type

https://github.com/Shabbypenguin/android_device_replenish/blob/master/recovery/recovery.fstab

as you can see the proper mounts from the files i used to make CWM for the replenish ;)

Last edited:

isavegas

Mar 8, 2012
Spring
chances are you had system mounted in cwm without knowing it.

for future knowledge always check the devices fstab for where to mount and filesystem type

https://github.com/Shabbypenguin/android_device_replenish/blob/master/recovery/recovery.fstab

as you can see from the files i used to make CWM for the replenish the proper mounts ;)

Eh, maybe. For all I know the first thing I did was mount everything with cwm. I DID do this several months ago. I don't even have the phone anymore. The owner of the phone was gonna give it to me after upgrading, but she sold it, so I kept her 500gb laptop hard drive instead. Popped it out of the external hdd casing and stuck it in a laptop. XD. It now has Linux on it.

Anyways, I've updated the guide to have the right command and note that if it doesn't work to use cwm to mount /system. And how do you find the fstab? Just Google it? Or is it somewhere on the device?

Btw, do you know anything about cwm? It refuses to properly back up my xperia play anymore. The .android_secure folder keeps giving it errors.

shabbypenguin

May 30, 2010
Eh, maybe. For all I know the first thing I did was mount everything with cwm. I DID do this several months ago. I don't even have the phone anymore. The owner of the phone was gonna give it to me after upgrading, but she sold it, so I kept her 500gb laptop hard drive instead. Popped it out of the external hdd casing and stuck it in a laptop. XD. It now has Linux on it.

Anyways, I've updated the guide to have the right command and note that if it doesn't work to use cwm to mount /system. And how do you find the fstab? Just Google it? Or is it somewhere on the device?

Btw, do you know anything about cwm? It refuses to properly back up my xperia play anymore. The .android_secure folder keeps giving it errors.

its where the recovery is on the device. each device has their own fstab. as for your error sounds like a conflict, either with cwm itself or that folder

isavegas

Mar 8, 2012
Spring
its where the recovery is on the device. each device has their own fstab. as for your error sounds like a conflict, either with cwm itself or that folder

It HAS to he cwm, because the folder is regarded as super hidden by the device. The folder itself can be seen, but the contents can ONLY be edited by the rom or a pc, and I haven't touched it with a pc before. It's where your apps go when you move them to the sd card. I've been trying to back my phone up with cwm because I wanted to test the jelly bean alpha release for it. :p its the xperia play 4g. Stupid backup crashes every time I try and it ends up eating up what room is left in my sdcard.

arodey

Jul 4, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Google Pixel 6
i followed your guide and have root in shell. however i cant get root permission on any apps, the window doesnt pop up asking me for permission. i also get a toast notification saying superuser access denied for whatever app im trying to open. any ideas?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    alt link: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-guide-stock-2-3-6-replenish.html#post1651482

REVISED TUTORIAL IN ROOTING 2.3.6 SAMSUNG REPLENISH
    warning for experienced adb users!: this was made with noobs in mind. you may learn something (from me! a noob! XD) but anyways, enjoy!

this does not affect anything on the phone except for adding the ability to access root permissions. CWM is not permanent, it disappears after you use it, and nothing on the phone is affected, as far as i know, but i had just factory reset the phone, so use at your own risk...

you may need to know:
    root of a drive- drives are designated C:\ or D:\ or whatever letter in windows. Just go to "computer" and double click the first item. That location is the "root" of a drive.

Note: make sure you have at least 400 mb of memory (i know, thats alot, but just in case) on your sd card so you can back up your entire phone! i reccomend doing every optional step!!! It'll save you hassle if you have problems. If you can't make room for some reason, and you still wanna try, you should skip step 8. I don't suggest it though.

1. download "odin.zip" and "su" here: https://www.box.com/shared/620b03e95cc0814fefc8 and unzip to your desktop. if you dont have the android sdk, simply copy the "adb.exe" file from "odin.zip" to the root of your primary drive for later. Just go to "computer" and double click the top icon/item. It should say something about C:/. If you're on Mac, sorry. Idk much about it. As for Linux, I have no clue how you'd even try to do this. I love Linux but, sadly, can't experiment with this in it. WINE has its limits....... And I don't think adb or Odin would work.

2. download the "su" file and put into into "platform-tools" where you installed the android sdk, if you have it, or put onto the root of your primary drive if you havent.

3. start phone while holding "spacebar" and "p". "downloading..." should appear on the screen in yellow text

4. plug into the computer and run "Odin_Multi_Downloader_v4.42.exe"

5. select SPHM580.ops for "OPS" and Replenish-CWM5.tar for "One Package" (they should be the only options) DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!

7. as the phone reboots, hold "u" until CWM opens and set the phone down. you should close Odin now.

8. use the volume keys to navigate to the backup and restore option and use enter to select backup. wait for it to finish completely and take you back to the the CWM main UI. backing up here creates a pure recovery, untouched by anything. CWM is NOT installed into this recovery. continue with the guide.

9. open the command prompt (type cmd.exe in search or run in the start menu, depending on your version of windows) or use some form of terminal emulator on your operating system of choice. command prompt is preferred due to the fact i know it can get the job done, but do what you will.

10. navigate to the drive your sdk is on and into "platform-tools" or to the folder you put the adb.exe and su files on. the default should be [name of drive]:\Users\[username]\. use the "cd.." command til youre at the root of the drive, and if you installed the sdk, type "cd android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" or just go to the root of the drive and go to the next step if you havent. just be sure adb.exe and su are there.

11. type this in line for line, with enters in between. the blue "~#" in the later lines is the prompt you should have. do not type this. it will be in blue. (clockworkmod should still be open on your phone at this point)

adb shell
    ~#mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/stl12 /system
    ~#exit
    adb push su /system/bin/

adb shell
    ~#chmod 777 /system/bin/su
    ~#reboot

DO NOT CLOSE THE COMMAND PROMPT YET FOR THE SAKE OF CONVENIENCE

If you have problems with that, try using CWM to mount "/system". Some friendly people over at androidcentral pointed that out. I personally didn't have that problem, but I'm glad it's fixed.

12. when your phone has rebooted, go back to the open command prompt, which should be where it was before you typed "adb shell"

13. type "adb shell". you will see a prompt of "$." type "su." if you have a prompt of "#" rejoice! you have permanent root! now you can go on the Play Store and find "Superuser" and "Busybox" (they should be free. if you cant find it, get ahold of me and ill try to supply the newest updates) if not, and you have a backup from optional step 2, you should go through til you hit CWM and restore the backup. if not, make one now and reattempt everything aside from downloads and the moving the files around on your computer. Also, someone said something about "chmod 06755 /system/bin/su", so if you might try using that instead of "chmod 777 /system/bin/su". 777 worked for me, but maybe this works better for you.

OPTIONAL FINISH STEP: I dont know how you install CWM permanently, but you should do this so you can make backups of your rom and store them somewhere like on a box.com or mediafire.com account if you decide to mess with something on your phone. (use hjsplit to break it into pieces for uploading and reassemble after download for flashing if its too big). to use a recovery, enter CWM (either the way i have here or if you have permanently installed, just reboot and hold "u") and navigate to "backup and restore," "restore," and select the recovery you wish to use on your sd card (make sure when you take out a backup for storage, you zip up the entire folder with the name that contains the date and time of your backup.) it will overwrite everything on your phone to be exactly like it was when you backed it up.

good luck! have fun! :D

Note: if you rename the CWM backup file, make sure it DOESN'T HAVE A SPACE or it'll give you something about md5 or something not matching. If it says this, remove any spaces in the name and try again. I had it happen on my xperia play and freaked, thinking it was soft-bricked permanently one time, til I found out about cwm's glitch with that.
    Also, I uploaded pretty much everything needed for rooting the phone, with comments pertaining to each file. This includes current (as of July 31, 2012) copies of Superuser.apk, a busybox installer, and the busybox and su binaries, as well the Odin package containing the tools to temp flash CWM.

the odin.zip file and the process of achieving CWM temp-flashing was found at http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...method-samsung-replenish-android-2-3-6-a.html and credit for that part is given to joshua.worth, although I took it a different path than he did.
    Update to above info: to simplify things, I uploaded all relevant files to box so people can get them easier. The su file went missing from xda, most importantly, so I fixed that, and added an updated binary in case someone has trouble with the other one.

contact me at isavegas@live.com if you cant pm me. :)

Sorry if it takes a while to respond. Life's been kinda crazy for me lately, and I am using my new phone (no service) to do this over wifi.
    Confirmed. the stick.zip works. I odin'd CWM. flashed stick.zip

booted up shut down booted up holding u and CWM loaded. yeah :)

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

SO final instructions that worked for me are as follows

1. download "odin.zip" and "su" here: https://www.box.com/shared/620b03e95cc0814fefc8 and the su (no extension) file. unzip odin anywhere you wish.

copy the 3 adb files (with odin.zip) and the su file to C:\ (root)

1.5 download stick.zip and put it on your SD card
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b65rnrnu126ttxq/stick.zip

3. turn the phone OFF then hold SPACE and P and while holding those press and hold POWER holding all 3 till .the new screen appears then press VOLUME UP (as it says on the screen) and DOWNLOADING..." should appear on the screen in yellow text. leave the phone alone and plug in the USB cable.

4. run "Odin_Multi_Downloader_v4.42.exe" (you may need samsung usb drivers I already have them so not sure on this)

5. select SPHM580.ops for "OPS" and Replenish-CWM5.tar for "One Package" you may need to TICK the "one package" check box first (I needed too as it was unchecked) change nothing else.

7. as the phone reboots, hold "u" until CWM opens you can close odin now.

7.5 at this time you might be able to FLASH FROM SD CARD and flash the stick.zip to "stick" CWM on the phone not sure if you can do this now or wait till after you root. if it does not stick REPEAT step 4-7 after you root and then flash stick.zip when I get the next replenish I will test this and update these instructions.

8. use the volume keys to navigate to the backup (ent on the kayboard to select) and restore option and use enter to select backup. wait for it to finish completely and take you back to the the CWM main UI. backing up here creates a pure recovery, untouched by anything. CWM is NOT installed into this recovery. continue with the guide.

8.5 goto mount/system and select /system screen should change to signify this.

10. you already copied the adb and su files to C:\ so make sure your prompt says C:\ you can use the command "cd.." (no quotes) as needed till you are at c:\

I have replaced all SPACES with _ since this font makes it UNCLEAR. so wherever you see an _ you use a SPACE

adb_shell
    ~#mount_-o_remount,rw_-t_rfs_/dev/block/stl12_/system
    ~#exit
    adb_push_su_/system/bin/

adb_shell
    ~#chmod_06755_/system/bin/su
    ~#reboot

once the phone reboots goto the market/play store and install super user.

THEN goto market/play store and install busy box.

Then download "Root Checker" and use it to confirm you have root.

12. if installing stick.zip did not work earlier (test by rebooting phone holding U on boot up) if no CWM then repeat steps 4-7 and flash the stick.zip now.

Done.
    ahh... well, turns out unrooting cannot be done with a CWM backup... you probably have to find a nandroid or a clean version of kernel with rom. the su file dissapears, although root is still there. ill keep playing with it, i have an idea why root stays although su disappears from the system files. anyways, i will still supply a backup thats pre-rooted for anyone who is willing to have a fresh start on their replenish. it will have superuser.apk preinstalled along with busybox, and everything else will be wiped. this will be a sprint backup, so if anyone has the boost version and is willing to back up with CWM and factory reset, then follow my guide, install busybox and superuser.apk, then back it up again, id be eternally grateful to have a copy :D

by the way, if anyone has problems with restoring a backup due to "md5" tags or whatever it is, make sure the name of the backup has no spaces. i was freaking out til i found that tip on an obscure forum (well, to me. i dont have a Motorola. lol. just a Sony Ericsson and 2 Samsungs)

update: sorry i havent uploaded the backup. i realized it would give whoever used it the number on this phone and i have to fix that. havent had time to anyways, plus it would only work on a sprint phone. it would convert any boost mobile to sprint, so thats a no-go. sorry... :(
    It should work. And Odin just flashes cwm (really fast) for the duration of the next boot cycle, which it automatically initiates, so hold the recovery button (I think it's u) as it goes into it and you'll have temp root. Make sure it's in download mode before you start. Remember, it cannot be unrooted, so if you value your warranty, plz think twice before doing it. I'm just here to supply the how-to if you decide to, not to say you have to. If you do, enjoy root access! :)
    Updated for stick.zip

Link is not working for stick.zip so i found it on another site and attached it to this post.