[MOD][VZW]Native Android Tether

Search This thread

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
Here is framework-res.apk that will give you native android tethering on the 4.4.2 soak test update for the VZW Moto X. I've only tried this on my developer edition, so no promises for you unlucky non-dev users. No warranties or guarantees, written or implied. Enjoy :)

[size=+1]Instructions[/size]
1. Download Me for 4.4.2
Download Me for 4.4.4
2. Rename the file to framework-res.apk
3. Copy to phone (if you didn't download it on your phone)
4. Mount /system read-write
5. Copy downloaded framework-res.apk to /system/framework/
6. Reboot & Enjoy

Last edited:

chaoslimits

Mar 19, 2010
Here is framework-res.apk that will give you native android tethering on the 4.4.2 soak test update for the VZW Moto X. I've only tried this on my developer edition, so no promises for you unlucky non-dev users. No warranties or guarantees, written or implied. Enjoy :)

1. Download Me
2. Copy to phone (if you didn't download it on your phone)
3. Mount /system read-write
4. Copy downloaded framework-res.apk to /system/framework/
5. Reboot & Enjoy
Might be a good idea to copy it into /system, set permissions, then overwrite the original framework-res.apk.
Some people get into trouble with permissions and aren't capable of fixing the situation via adb lol.

Reactions: big_boludo

1. Download Me
5. Reboot & Enjoy

It works! Huzzah! Thanks a lot!

jimmypop13

Dec 14, 2010
Spring, TX
rw- r-- r-- chmod 644 filename

Cool! Thanks. i changed permissions and then overwrote the framework-res.apk and holy force-close city! lol. So I turned it off and back on. Had a few force closes on boot with google play services until I got a message to re sign in. Seems to be back to normal now and tethering works!

Last edited:

chaoslimits

Mar 19, 2010
Cool! Thanks. i changed permissions and then overwrote the framework-res.apk and holy force-close city! lol. So I turned it off and back on. Had a few force closes on boot with google play services until I got a message to re sign in. Seems to be back to normal now and tethering works!
Yeah, you want to replace framework-res.apk via recovery. If you do it whilst the phone is on, you lose all accounts on your phone (as you just did)...

charlie-n

Oct 24, 2013
Doesn't the exposed mod still work on 4.4.2, it does on sprint

Sent from my XT1056 using xda app-developers app

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Reactions: denary

timeToy

Aug 3, 2010
Here is a recovery flashable zip file for the Native Android Tether from the OP.

Attachments

• 4.4.2NativeAndroidTether.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 95
Reactions: rebretz000

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
What does it take to revert this to prepare in the event of an OTA update? Thanks! Also will it with with non rooted v unlocked bootloader running cwm recovery? Can't have root for work email.

You would just need a stock framework-res.apk to revert back for OTA updates. It will work with/without root, but you need something to be able to get it into /system/framework/

dkoon1987

Feb 4, 2011
You would just need a stock framework-res.apk to revert back for OTA updates. It will work with/without root, but you need something to be able to get it into /system/framework/

I am able to copy out the stock framework-res.apk externally, So if I flash this zip through cwm or twrp, I should be fine without root, right? Then when the next OTA comes I just install the stock apk, through say the downloads folder? Or will that not work?

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

I am able to copy out the stock framework-res.apk externally, So if I flash this zip through cwm or twrp, I should be fine without root, right? Then when the next OTA comes I just install the stock apk, through say the downloads folder? Or will that not work?

Nevermind, I realized I cannot install to the file system from the sd partition. What if I zip the original stock apk like you did in the op and flash back through cwm?

dkoon1987

Feb 4, 2011
Here is a recovery flashable zip file for the Native Android Tether from the OP.

Hi There, thanks for the zip! Can you help me with creating a flashable zip to restore the framework-res.apk that blocks tethering? Weird request, I know, but my company requires that our phones be unrooted for our email application to work. I am unlocked running CWM recovery on my DE Moto X, but I tried unzipping your file, inserting the stock .apk back and zipping it back up and flashing it failed. Can you help? Thank you!!

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Hi There, thanks for the zip! Can you help me with creating a flashable zip to restore the framework-res.apk that blocks tethering? Weird request, I know, but my company requires that our phones be unrooted for our email application to work. I am unlocked running CWM recovery on my DE Moto X, but I tried unzipping your file, inserting the stock .apk back and zipping it back up and flashing it failed. Can you help? Thank you!!

The reason I ask, is purely for OTA purposes.

007shark

Aug 22, 2010
Florida

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

The reason I ask, is purely for OTA purposes.

unzip, insert original framework-res in framework folder, select both system and META-INF folders, right click and send to zip file. That should work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. Download Me for 4.4.2
    Download Me for 4.4.4
    2. Rename the file to framework-res.apk
    3. Copy to phone (if you didn't download it on your phone)
    4. Mount /system read-write
    5. Copy downloaded framework-res.apk to /system/framework/
    6. Reboot & Enjoy

1. Download Me
    5. Reboot & Enjoy
    Might be a good idea to copy it into /system, set permissions, then overwrite the original framework-res.apk.
    Some people get into trouble with permissions and aren't capable of fixing the situation via adb lol.
    Thanks. Does this stop the phone from checking with Verizon or does it just override the answer it gets from Verizon?

It doesn't check with VZW
    I still just use the wifi_tether_v3_4-experimental1.apk from https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/
    and change device profile to Samsung Galaxy Nexus (cdma/lte)
    check box: wifi-driver reload
    check box: enabled routing fix

If you have troubles, its also suggested to...
    check box: wifi-driver reload 2
    (per -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2449534 )

I had been using on 4.4, but its working on 4.4.2 also.