[ROOT][HOW TO] Install Google Play Incompatible Android Apps Noob (Simple) Version

Search This thread

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
This is a simple Step-by-Step guide on How To: Install Google Play Incompatible Android Apps Kindle Fire 7" HD, Kindle Fire HD 8.9" and Kindle Fire 2 with Windows - Noob (Simple) Version. The main group steps are outlined with A, B, C while the sub-group steps are outlined with 1, 2, 3. We attempt to keep this tutorial updated regularly - adding information from the end users experience. We have recently upgraded the storage servers to increase uptime, you now have two options for the downloads both are ad free. Option one is a Dropbox Storage Server and Option two is a Ubuntu One Storage Server, if one is under maintenance you may use the other download link. When you are done with the tutorial, please take the time to post feedback, this is very important to us - without your feedback, we have no way of knowing if we are doing our job. Finally, if you feel we did a decent job, please think about donating to us using the "Donate to Me" button - this is how we make a living, without your kind donations we would no longer be able to do this for a living.

Prerequisites:

1. Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Fire HD 8.9" or Kindle Fire 2 7"
2. ES File Explorer or Root Explorer from Google Play.

Some Android apps on Google Play claim to be incompatible with various devices. There’s a good chance that these apps will run fine on many of these devices – you can bypass this check with root access.
Some apps won’t actually work after you install them, but many will. This also solves problems with applications that will install but refuse to play – for example, Boat Browser with the “this device is incompatible” message.

A) Editing Build.prop

The build.prop file contains a few strings (bits of text) that identify your Kindle Fire as KFTT. If you edit this file, Google Play and other apps will think you’re using a different device than you actually using. Be very careful when editing this file – we’ll just be editing a few tiny parts of it. If you edit other parts, you could cause serious problems with your device.
First, launch the ES File Explorer app. Open its Settings screen and enable the Root Explorer and Mount File System options. You may also want to enable the Up to Root option on this screen, so you can easily tap the Up button and navigate to your root directory.

Step 1: Navigate to the /system/ directory on your device and locate the build.prop file.

Step 2: You should create a copy of the original build.prop file elsewhere – long-press on it, select Copy, and then Paste it into another folder – say, your /sdcard/Download folder.

Step 3: Now you’re ready to edit the file. Long-press it, select Open As, select Text, and select the ES Note Editor application

Step 4: Look for the ro.product.model and ro.product.manufacturer lines. These are the important ones.

Step 5: Change these lines to pretend your device is another model. For example, to imitate a Nexus S, use these lines:

• ro.product.model = Nexus S
  • ro.product.manufacturer = samsung
Step 6: After making this change, tap the menu button and select Save.

B) Final Steps

Step 7: Go into the Settings screen, select Applications, select Manage Applications, tap the All category, and select the Google Play app. Clear its cache and data, and then restart the Kindle Fire.

Step 8: Open Google Play and you should be able to download apps that claim they’re not compatible with your Kindle Fire. Applications, Games and Browsers that detect your device should also work, too – Gameloft games seem to be particularly guilty of this. Some apps may still not install or work with your device for other reasons — for example, Google Chrome won’t work on pre-Android 4.0 devices, Bluetooth Tether fails on the Kindle. Some apps may be restricted to certain countries so do not break these rules.

Step 9: Most applications from Google Play Store are installed in the /data/app folder. There are many cases where the application will fail when first launched. If you experience an application that suddenly Stops, move the application to /system/app and change the permissions to User: Read Write | Group: Read and Others: Read. Then reboot your Kindle. If the application continues to fail, please open a post in this thread and we will have our developer work on a solution.

Last edited:

markbc01

Dec 5, 2011
Pacific Grove, CA
Hi prokennexusa
- I just tried this on my KFHD7"
- After changing the two lines and clearing out the Store app cache and data, I restarted and went back to Play.
- The three apps I was looking for were still not available to me (Fandango, Boat Browser and Chrome)
- I actually downloaded another app store (1Mobile Market) and downloaded all three apps which I installed and ran without problem.
- Also, I thought that perhaps it was not enough to change the two lines you mentioned (product model & manufacturer) so I tried this again with additional changes to brand (changed to samsung) model (changed to nexus s) and device (changed to nexus s) and then I saved the file, cleared cache and data from the google play store and again sought to gain these three apps which were are "not compatible" with my device.
- Unfortuntately, the Play store did not change the status for those apps --they all remained "not compatible" for the device.

- One good point I gained out of this so far is that I have found another pretty good market to get apps to sideload on my KFHD7.

- One question (please!), can I leave the build.prop identities (model, manufacturer, brand, name, device) in their changed state (samsung/nexus s) or is it better to revert them back to the Amazon Kindle for some reason?

Thanks!

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Install Google Play Incompatible Android Apps Noob (Simple) Version

Hi prokennexusa
- I just tried this on my KFHD7"
- After changing the two lines and clearing out the Store app cache and data, I restarted and went back to Play.
- The three apps I was looking for were still not available to me (Fandango, Boat Browser and Chrome)
- I actually downloaded another app store (1Mobile Market) and downloaded all three apps which I installed and ran without problem.
- Also, I thought that perhaps it was not enough to change the two lines you mentioned (product model & manufacturer) so I tried this again with additional changes to brand (changed to samsung) model (changed to nexus s) and device (changed to nexus s) and then I saved the file, cleared cache and data from the google play store and again sought to gain these three apps which were are "not compatible" with my device.
- Unfortuntately, the Play store did not change the status for those apps --they all remained "not compatible" for the device.

- One good point I gained out of this so far is that I have found another pretty good market to get apps to sideload on my KFHD7.

- One question (please!), can I leave the build.prop identities (model, manufacturer, brand, name, device) in their changed state (samsung/nexus s) or is it better to revert them back to the Amazon Kindle for some reason?

Thanks!

markbc01,

What I think is happening is the vendors are given two options on how to read the model one reads the build.prop data while the other executes a simple 'android.os.Build.MODEL' request. It looks like most vendors are turning to the latter. They may also query the device fingerprint.

This is great info, this is what we were hoping for:good: - your feedback so we can improve the process and make it work 100% of the time. Give us 24 hours to look at all angles and then we will post an update that will solve your problem.

Leave the build.prop data as is, there is no disadvantage leaving the name changed.

Last edited:

Gilly10

Sep 22, 2012
Many free versions such as all of the Angry Birds games are still incompatible from the Play Store even with this edit, yet they work perfectly fine if sideloaded, guess that's more to do with the fact Amazon App Store only having the paid versions & asked Google to block them.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

Many free versions such as all of the Angry Birds games are still incompatible from the Play Store even with this edit, yet they work perfectly fine if sideloaded, guess that's more to do with the fact Amazon App Store only having the paid versions & asked Google to block them.

Gilly10,

You nailed it. Amazon and Google have a very tight relationship. As a matter of fact, if you watch the traffic when you purchase something from Amazon Software App Store, you will see something very interesting. The purchase traffic routes through Amazon but the download request is processed on the same server array as ................. you guess it, Google.

meddle70

Nov 14, 2010
instagram still won't let me install cause its still reading its not compatible

Sent from my KFTT using XDA Premium HD app

Gilly10

Sep 22, 2012
Gilly10,

You nailed it. Amazon and Google have a very tight relationship. As a matter of fact, if you watch the traffic when you purchase something from Amazon Software App Store, you will see something very interesting. The purchase traffic routes through Amazon but the download request is processed on the same server array as ................. you guess it, Google.

Actually just looked Amazon do have the FREE versions but only of the first 4, Star Wars is the only paid app without a FREE version, strange they would block the rest, puzzling!

helix4u

Jul 7, 2008
Utah

A sketchy workaround (because who knows where they're sourcing their apks) would be to install blackmart, aptoide or similar alternative market and install it from there.... What I can say that it works, but I don't fully endorse it because again, I don't know where they source their apps.

iCoN3o

Nov 27, 2012
Hi,
Changing the two lines caused a license problem with Swype keyboard... any of you experienced this ?

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

Gilly10

Sep 22, 2012
Hi,
Changing the two lines caused a license problem with Swype keyboard... any of you experienced this ?

Yeah it says it's unregistered or something a long those lines, only thing to do is put back the correct details that you changed or if you copied the build.prop beforehand copy it back to system/ & reboot.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Version

Hi,

iCoN3o,

This makes sense, the reason? Swipe Keyboard thinks you have copied the software, here is a fix. Go into More+ > Applications > Installed Applications - find Swipe. Clear the Cache and User Data, then remove Swipe.

Then install our software and wipe the User Data and Cache : Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide MAJOR UPDATE 02/14/2013 at 21:48 Rev4.2.22

Reboot the Kindle. Go to Google Play Store and reinstall Swipe. The issue will disappear.

Reactions: iCoN3o

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

Yeah it says it's unregistered or something a long those lines, only thing to do is put back the correct details that you changed or if you copied the build.prop beforehand copy it back to system/ & reboot.

Gilly10,

Actually it is an easy fix. Swipe thinks you have copied the application to a new Android, here is how you fix the issue:

Go into More+ > Applications > Installed Applications - find Swipe. Clear the Cache and User Data, then remove Swipe.

Then install our software and wipe the User Data and Cache : Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide MAJOR UPDATE 02/14/2013 at 21:48 Rev4.2.22

Reboot the Kindle. Go to Google Play Store and reinstall Swipe. The issue will disappear.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

meddle70,

This method works on about 60% of the vendors. It depends on how the vendor reads the make and model. There is another method will will be posting that will take care of the issue 100% of the time, give us a few days and we will post the additional work.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Google Play Incompatible Android Apps Noob (Simple) Version

Actually just looked Amazon do have the FREE versions but only of the first 4, Star Wars is the only paid app without a FREE version, strange they would block the rest, puzzling!

Gilly10,

The reason may have to do with the contract that Amazon has signed with Google Play, since there appears to be little rhyme and reason.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

meddle70,

We have a signed copy of Instagram on our server we were using for testing, here is a link to Instagram 3.4.0: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/Instagram_3.4.0.apk.zip

Pleas extract Instagram_3.4.0.apk.zip ad Instagram_3.4.0.apk then install on your Kindle. You may use ES Explorer to install Instagram_3.4.0.apk by clicking on the Instagram_3.4.0.apk program and wait for "installed successfully". Once you have installed Instagram_3.4.0.apk be sure to move Instagram_3.4.0.apk from /data/app to /system/app check the permissions of Instagram_3.4.0.apk in /system/app they should be: User: Read Write Group: Read and Others: Read - be sure to reboot prior to using Instagram 3.4.0.

If you run into any issues with the installation, just post the question here or in our Backup/Recovery thread.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com

A sketchy workaround (because who knows where they're sourcing their apks) would be to install blackmart, aptoide or similar alternative market and install it from there.... What I can say that it works, but I don't fully endorse it because again, I don't know where they source their apps.

helix4u,

We are a little confused? Can you please clarify?

This is for Google Play and we do not use any APK"s in this tutorial. This tutorial allows you to install programs from Google Play that is accidentally blocked due to "incompatible" message. We have found this message is erroneous about 80% of the time, so we decided to find a way around the issue. Now there may be issues with certain packages that require Jelly Bean, this will not work for the packages designed for Jelly Bean but this workaround does work for the other packages.

helix4u

Jul 7, 2008
Utah
helix4u,

We are a little confused? Can you please clarify?

This is for Google Play and we do not use any APK"s in this tutorial. This tutorial allows you to install programs from Google Play that is accidentally blocked due to "incompatible" message. We have found this message is erroneous about 80% of the time, so we decided to find a way around the issue. Now there may be issues with certain packages that require Jelly Bean, this will not work for the packages designed for Jelly Bean but this workaround does work for the other packages.

My reply was directed toward someone who had a problem with a specific application where the application was still claiming to be incompatible in the play store. I offered a workaround that does not use the play store, but instead uses an alternative market application. My comments about APKs were in reference to the applications provided by these alternative market applications.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a simple Step-by-Step guide on How To: Install Google Play Incompatible Android Apps Kindle Fire 7" HD, Kindle Fire HD 8.9" and Kindle Fire 2 with Windows - Noob (Simple) Version. The main group steps are outlined with A, B, C while the sub-group steps are outlined with 1, 2, 3. We attempt to keep this tutorial updated regularly - adding information from the end users experience. We have recently upgraded the storage servers to increase uptime, you now have two options for the downloads both are ad free. Option one is a Dropbox Storage Server and Option two is a Ubuntu One Storage Server, if one is under maintenance you may use the other download link. When you are done with the tutorial, please take the time to post feedback, this is very important to us - without your feedback, we have no way of knowing if we are doing our job. Finally, if you feel we did a decent job, please think about donating to us using the "Donate to Me" button - this is how we make a living, without your kind donations we would no longer be able to do this for a living.

Prerequisites:

1. Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Fire HD 8.9" or Kindle Fire 2 7"
    2. ES File Explorer or Root Explorer from Google Play.

Some Android apps on Google Play claim to be incompatible with various devices. There’s a good chance that these apps will run fine on many of these devices – you can bypass this check with root access.
    Some apps won’t actually work after you install them, but many will. This also solves problems with applications that will install but refuse to play – for example, Boat Browser with the “this device is incompatible” message.

A) Editing Build.prop

The build.prop file contains a few strings (bits of text) that identify your Kindle Fire as KFTT. If you edit this file, Google Play and other apps will think you’re using a different device than you actually using. Be very careful when editing this file – we’ll just be editing a few tiny parts of it. If you edit other parts, you could cause serious problems with your device.
    First, launch the ES File Explorer app. Open its Settings screen and enable the Root Explorer and Mount File System options. You may also want to enable the Up to Root option on this screen, so you can easily tap the Up button and navigate to your root directory.

Step 1: Navigate to the /system/ directory on your device and locate the build.prop file.

Step 2: You should create a copy of the original build.prop file elsewhere – long-press on it, select Copy, and then Paste it into another folder – say, your /sdcard/Download folder.

Step 3: Now you’re ready to edit the file. Long-press it, select Open As, select Text, and select the ES Note Editor application

Step 4: Look for the ro.product.model and ro.product.manufacturer lines. These are the important ones.

Step 5: Change these lines to pretend your device is another model. For example, to imitate a Nexus S, use these lines:

• ro.product.model = Nexus S
    • ro.product.manufacturer = samsung
    Step 6: After making this change, tap the menu button and select Save.

B) Final Steps

Step 7: Go into the Settings screen, select Applications, select Manage Applications, tap the All category, and select the Google Play app. Clear its cache and data, and then restart the Kindle Fire.

Step 8: Open Google Play and you should be able to download apps that claim they’re not compatible with your Kindle Fire. Applications, Games and Browsers that detect your device should also work, too – Gameloft games seem to be particularly guilty of this. Some apps may still not install or work with your device for other reasons — for example, Google Chrome won’t work on pre-Android 4.0 devices, Bluetooth Tether fails on the Kindle. Some apps may be restricted to certain countries so do not break these rules.

Step 9: Most applications from Google Play Store are installed in the /data/app folder. There are many cases where the application will fail when first launched. If you experience an application that suddenly Stops, move the application to /system/app and change the permissions to User: Read Write | Group: Read and Others: Read. Then reboot your Kindle. If the application continues to fail, please open a post in this thread and we will have our developer work on a solution.

Hi,

iCoN3o,

This makes sense, the reason? Swipe Keyboard thinks you have copied the software, here is a fix. Go into More+ > Applications > Installed Applications - find Swipe. Clear the Cache and User Data, then remove Swipe.