[Q] Help, Please? Galaxy S3 Phone Will Not Acknowledge Sim Card

Search This thread

KatelynB

Mar 5, 2014
Hi!

I have come to this forum many times for solutions to problems with my cell phones. And I did check for other similar issues to this, but since my situation is not exactly the same as the other posting I found on this topic, I wanted to ask for help with my specific issue.

Anyway, after going through a year of problems with my HTC Desire my b/f got me a Galaxy S3 for my birthday, (GT19300). It takes a micro-Sim which my old phone didn't so I cut down my old Sim and tried it in the Galaxy. All I could get was a message "No Sim card-Insert Sim Card." Naturally I figured an easy solution would be get a new Sim. My carrier is AT$T. I didn't want to go through the hassle of going to an AT$T store for a new micro-Sim and get bullied into a data plan etc. So I got a new regular sim from AT$T and cut it down, it fits perfectly. (I know the Sim card is fine because I tried it in another OLD crappy phone I have that takes a micro-Sim). However, in the Galaxy it just keeps having the same problem: "No Sim card/Insert Sim."

I've tried clearing the cache, I've tried updating, done factory restores, I've tried removing the batt and Sim etc, all the "easy" solutions, nothing has worked. I've tried the solutions posted on various threads here, nothing.

My b/f assures me the phone is unlocked since he did that himself before he gave it to me. I don't know if he tried using the phone or not, but I presume he did. So i don't see how the phone could still be locked.. And from what I've read IF the phone were still locked there would be a different message in regards to the Sim. Everything works on the phone just fine, EXCEPT it will not recognize a Sim card at all.

I read on another forum that Galaxy S3 users were having a lot of issues with their rooted phones that disappeared after they unrooted, soooo, if this is happening because my phone is still rooted, than obviously I don't really have a choice if I want to actually use this phone for something other than taking nice photos. Could the fact it's still a rooted phone be why it will not recognize a Sim??

Does anyone have any suggestions I can try to solve this problem? I have a feeling it's either a very easy fix or a major pain in the *bleep*. But either way, this is driving me crazy trying to solve the problem. I'd LOVE to be able to use this phone especially after my b/f paid good money for it, not to mention I've made-do with the HTC I had and all the issues it had for over a year.

Any ideas, tips, or suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thank you to anyone who replies!!!!!

*I originally posted posted this in the wrong forum, thanks Audit!

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
First try a full wipe and flash latest stock with odin. Next replace the sim reader.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

KatelynB

Mar 5, 2014
First try a full wipe and flash latest stock with odin. Next replace the sim reader.

Boom,

Thank you for the reply. I will try your suggestions. I take it this is a very common problem from what I've been reading. Though I cannot find a precise answer to what it could be. So I'll try your ideas for sure.

* I certainly hope your "signature" isn't referring to my post. I DID indeed look through the questions/threads/posts here before I posted. I spent probably 5 hours checking around for an answer... IF you are referring to my question, dude you just offended me terribly...I get where you're coming from though, but people just won't take the time to read through and look for answers before posting, it's that way on pretty much all forums, at least all the ones I've been on and that's A LOT. And if you read my post thoroughly you would have seen that I did mention searching through threads here and elsewhere before I posted.

Last edited:

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
No, my signature is not aimed at you -the words are from another user, but describe around 80% of the threads created here.